Preview R16: Changes vs. GWS Giants

This week Riley Thilthorpe should be...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

100% - Its already happening with this drivel from Olsen/Silvers... Read this again and notice how it exactly proves my point....

"After stripping the men’s playing list right back, we have seen the team improve its ladder position season-on-season over the last three years.

History shows rebuilds never encompass steady and constant progression.

There will be flat spots in the evolution but amidst that it’s been great to see continued and genuine growth from emerging players, such as Jake Soligo, Max Michalanney, Luke Nankervis and Josh Worrell, among others."
Shane Warne Delivery GIF

It's hard to tell who has more spin!

Milera - missing all year
Thilthorpe - has been missing all year.
Murray - missed 14/15 games
Pedlar - missed 11/15 games
Worrell - missed 6/15 games
Rankine - missed 4/15 games
Crouch - missed 4/15 games
Walker - missed 4/15 games
Butts - missed 4/15 games

I can't see how we average 6-7 of our best players missing. More like around 5.
Probably counted a very poorly out of form Smith and ROB as "missing" for most weeks when they played.

Oh goodie, Curtin named at full back in the SANFL.

We spent pick 6 on a full back! Really?

And here I thought he could be a tall mid.
If he does actually play there - and the team sheet means nothing - then fine. Part of our development of players should be working on their deficiencies. Curtin has struggled to defend 1v1 so let's give him some minutes one out with a good tall forward to work on that. I'm pretty sure being named on an SANFL team sheet means he has to play there for the rest of his career.

Sholl, Hamill, Murphy, Berry the weak links in the team. Pedlar and Curtin should be in the team. He's destroying both of their careers and I wouldn't be surprised if both leave eoy.
Take a quick glance at how many 1st round picks are playing AFL right now. And then take a look at how many talls. And then have a glance and see how many other club boards are sooking about it. We didn't draft Curtin to have an impact this year, if a first year player does, that's a bonus.

I'd play Pedlar ahead of Murphy and maybe Berry but he's hardly demanding a spot. He hasn't looked aerobically fit all year and his kicking isn't AFL standard. Pedlar needs to take some responsibility for Pedlar.

Take a quick glance at how many 1st round picks are playing AFL right now. And then take a look at how many talls. And then have a glance and see how many other club boards are sooking about it. We didn't draft Curtin to have an impact this year, if a first year player does, that's a bonus.

2023 Draft Picks and Games Played:
Pick 1 - 11
Pick 2 - 9
Pick 3 - 10
Pick 4 - 10
Pick 5 - 7
Pick 6 - 10
Pick 7 - 14
Curtin - 2

We dont want him in to impact. The season is gone. We want him in to get him experience at AFL level.

2023 Draft Picks and Games Played:
Pick 1 - 11
Pick 2 - 9
Pick 3 - 10
Pick 4 - 10
Pick 5 - 7
Pick 6 - 10
Pick 7 - 14
Curtin - 2

We dont want him in to impact. The season is gone. We want him in to get him experience at AFL level.
It's fun to answer .5 of the 4 points and pretend to be justified. 3 of those guys playing this week and sure, let's ignore the rest of the 1st round and all the talls.

We did give him experience at AFL level and it went badly. So rather than crucify the kid, sent him back to develop in the area he was shown up in. His career will hopefully be 15 years long, it's not being destroyed because he isn't playing every game in year 1. That would be very unusual for a tall. There's thousands of examples of star players that weren't seen at all in their 1st year. J McGovern didn't debut for 3 years. He'll be fine. Stop being so dramatic.

It's fun to answer .5 of the 4 points and pretend to be justified. 3 of those guys playing this week and sure, let's ignore the rest of the 1st round and all the talls.

Look at top 10 picks and how many games they play year 1. Curtin is an outlier.

We did give him experience at AFL level and it went badly. So rather than crucify the kid, sent him back to develop in the area he was shown up in. His career will hopefully be 15 years long, it's not being destroyed because he isn't playing every game in year 1. That would be very unusual for a tall. There's thousands of examples of star players that weren't seen at all in their 1st year. J McGovern didn't debut for 3 years. He'll be fine. Stop being so dramatic.

Thousands of examples of star players that aren't seen at all and I am being dramatic? When did I say his career is being destroyed?

J McGovern? The guy taken at pick 44 in the 2010 rookie draft as a project player is the example you chose?

Curtin is 197cm and built like a man. Our season is cooked. Why not have him learning at AFL level rather than wasting away in the two's?

Plenty of other teams play tall elite talent year 1. Shit - we gave TT 14 games in his first year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look at top 10 picks and how many games they play year 1. Curtin is an outlier.

Thousands of examples of star players that aren't seen at all and I am being dramatic? When did I say his career is being destroyed?

J McGovern? The guy taken at pick 44 in the 2010 rookie draft as a project player is the example you chose?

Curtin is 197cm and built like a man. Our season is cooked. Why not have him learning at AFL level rather than wasting away in the two's?

Plenty of other teams play tall elite talent year 1. Shit - we gave TT 14 games in his first year.
Other top 10 picks (you conveniently left out) Ethan Read - 4 games, Nate Caddy, 2 games. Add in #11 Connor O'Sullivan - 1 game. All talls. No supporters at those clubs losing their minds they aren't playing. Because it's perfectly normal.

If he does actually play there - and the team sheet means nothing - then fine. Part of our development of players should be working on their deficiencies. Curtin has struggled to defend 1v1 so let's give him some minutes one out with a good tall forward to work on that. I'm pretty sure being named on an SANFL team sheet means he has to play there for the rest of his career.
Using your logic, we should have been playing Matt Crouch in defence for the majority of his career...

The way I saw Dawson's interview was that he was backing the non-elevation of SANFL guys. The bit about 'everyone' performing allows the excuses ie 'non-statistical', 'experience', 'leadership', 'shape keeping' etc etc.
He was all over the shop, at times unintelligible, making no sense. He left it all to interpretation. It wasn't in the least bit inspiring.

My first thoughts were - WTF, now you with the double speak?

Nicksy, mate, the season is gone. It strolled out the door after round 4.

Why you no choose future players? Your job's not as important as the club's future.

2-3 seasons in and it seems our draft picks are unplayable? There must be a huge disconnect between recruiters and coaches/selectors. FMD.

Just don’t turn up
No.

I enjoy the day and the routine too much.

On the day, watching the chooks come home to roost after selection, watching the same tactic fail again and again, watching some bonafide spud destroy us, watching us either forfeit a cracking start and losing by a goal or giving up a 3-4goal start to the oppo, reeling them in to get in front and then lose at the death, is like watching a car crash - you don't want to but you can't take your eyes away.

Then, someone will kick out to the left, and suddenly you think things can change, that there is hope...

No.

I enjoy the day and the routine too much.

On the day, watching the chooks come home to roost after selection, watching the same tactic fail again and again, watching some bonafide spud destroy us, watching us either forfeit a cracking start and losing by a goal or giving up a 3-4goal start to the oppo, reeling them in to get in front and then lose at the death, is like watching a car crash - you don't want to but you can't take your eyes away.

Then, someone will kick out to the left, and suddenly you think things can change, that there is hope...
You’re a better man than me, I won’t even watch

Funny I have never in my life wanted a side I support to lose…………… until now

Edit: not wanting to lose is probably not correct it’s more I don’t care
I have, when it’s the only way the club will make changes, unfortunately it’s happened a few times with the Crows. I went for Richmond, Sydney and I’ll be hoping we lose every game except the Showdown

I'd play Pedlar ahead of Murphy and maybe Berry but he's hardly demanding a spot. He hasn't looked aerobically fit all year and his kicking isn't AFL standard. Pedlar needs to take some responsibility for Pedlar.
Taylor?

Back