Preview R16: Changes vs. GWS Giants

This week Riley Thilthorpe should be...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be quintessential AFC

What is best for Thilthorpe? Building his minutes over a few weeks before an AFL return?

But Tex is out! Who we gonna kick to?

Wuhoh... better get him straight in.

We can't have two independent thoughts.

Same as Tex played through his back injury earlier in the year because we were missing Thilthorpe. Should have had no bearing whatsoever on whether Tex played. But it does, because we're brainless. And hasn't it worked out a treat for the Texan and for our win/loss?

Nicksy... two-parter: Would Thilthorpe be rushed straight in if Tex and Himmelberg were fit?

And does Tex/Himmelberg's fitness have any bearing on Thilthorpe's timeline?

If Soligo wasn't fit enough for a full game in R1 after a two week ankle injury, there's no way in hell that TT is ready to go after surgery and a three month layoff.
Apples and oranges, jackster

Soligo was in an iron lung for 6 months. Thilthorpe has been competing in ultra marathons since the day after his surgery

What the downside?

He got injured on an SANFL ground, so there's the same chance of getting injured in SANFL and AFL.

I'd rather he played SANFL for his own confidence, but maybe he's itching to get back out there?

He's certainly never looked fitter, for whatever that means.
I just think, if he's only been training, which let's be frank, in-season is at half pace ....then that's a huge jump up in pressure to an AFL game

The downside, is Thilthorpe does his knee again, trying to adjust to the pace ....a SANFL game is 6-7 levels below AFL ....build the stress on the knee up gradually ....and as you say, his confidence, which is an important aspect

What is best for Thilthorpe? Building his minutes over a few weeks before an AFL return?

Same as Tex played through his back injury earlier in the year because we were missing Thilthorpe. Should have had no bearing whatsoever on whether Tex played. But it does, because we're brainless. And hasn't it worked out a treat for the Texan and for our win/loss?

Nicksy... two-parter: Would Thilthorpe be rushed straight in if Tex and Himmelberg were fit?

We need to get games into RT imo, if he's ready to go I don't see much point in him coming back via the SANFL. He's just as likely to get injured there as he is in the AFL side.

We need to get games into RT imo, if he's ready to go I don't see much point in him coming back via the SANFL. He's just as likely to get injured there as he is in the AFL side.
I think it’s more about getting your judgement and timing back easier at SANFL level, it’s like playing round 1 again after a lay off, whilst everyone else is 14 games in

His theory was to get 70 games into them as quickly as possible as thats the stage that they should be consistent.

Hasnt worked with McHenry
McHenry is consistent... just not consistently good.

Would be idiocy to bring Thilthorpe straight in .....we're not contending, so there's only potential negatives to playing him early

Isn't Himmelberg available ?
The voice of no-reason... confirms it makes sense to bring TT straight in as it's now about getting games into him.

There's 4 points on offer this weekend and if we can snare a couple of unexpected wins, we could push up to 12th.

Is the weight in the meniscus?

Cos mine is. I've had comments on how buff my meniscuses are
Larry David Reaction GIF

I’d have thought if you injured the cartilage that cushions your knee the last thing you’d want is extra weight on it.

But I’m not a doctor, I only play one on tv.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Larry David Reaction GIF

I’d have thought if you injured the cartilage that cushions your knee the last thing you’d want is extra weight on it.

You're probably right. But then the conclusion is for him to stay skinnier and be worse at football.

So we just have to hope that Burgess has done his thing. Given he might be the only competent employee in the AFC, I guess we should have some kind of faith.

The statisticians don't apply different rules to different players they are all treated equally, ROB certainly isn't the best in that regard but he's a long way from the worst.

Yes but the key stat after that is the inside 50 conversion rate so our midfielders are given the ball and butcher it (thanks Lairdy) and we don't rate in the top 10 for that.

We know they’re treated equally by the statisticians.

What pretty much everyone is saying is that if you took a random sample of say 20 of ROB’s “hitouts to advantage”, and compared them to a random sample of say Luke Jackson, Max Gawn, Tim English, Brodie Grundy or Tom De Koning’s “hitouts to advantage”, the end results of these actual advantages would be a lot more “walk out of the stoppage with the ball palmed into a great spot, and the team advancing into a great attacking position as a result” type stuff for those other guys than for ROB. Maybe that’s a reflection of the mids below him just as much as ROB himself, I’m not sure, but the quality of our clearances is absolutely horrid as a general rule, regardless of whether the hitout is to advantage or not.

I’d also like to see a new “hitouts to distinct disadvantage” stat brought in. Or call it “Clanger hitouts”. That would be an interesting one to break down.
"shitouts"?

Larry David Reaction GIF

In context of arthritis yes weight loss has significant effects on pain in knees but this isn’t that.
It’s not a chronic injury though which resulted from repetitive load through it. It’s an acute injury.
Added strength around the knee itself (and hips and other muscles that support and reduce load on the knee) will definitely be beneficial too- that holds true for acute or chronic injuries to the knee

Looking forward to Nicks presser this week, will it be more inspirational stuff?

Before the Swans game "we know how to beat the Swans"LOL

Before the GWS game "we know how to beat GWS"?
I'm guessing the word "reset" will be used 20+ times.

The sudden Keane hate here is bullshit.
Early last year it was an absolute disgrace that Nixy wasn’t playing Keane.

Now as a 23 game AFL veteran, the Irishman now qualifies as a whipping boy on Bigfooty. I predict that Billy Dowling will reach whipping boy status by August.

Strangely, some of the same posters who scream on the selection thread that certain inexperienced players must be played, are the first to call the same players Spuds.

I am a fan of the Irishman and I hope that we continue to play him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R16: Changes vs. GWS Giants

Back