Review R17: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Dowling's strengths aren't something you can easily point at, such as athletic traits or anything like that. It's mostly just that he gets into good spots and makes quick decisions.

He's no superstar but he's okay. Good enough to play in our side right now, anyway.
Also generally gives himself time to make those decisions. Rarely panics.

Nicks moved Smith to the wing and actually played some good footy, he would probably had finish in the top 5 B&F had he didn't stink it up for half a season at half back. Where was Smith playing early this season which saw him eventually get dropped a few weeks ago and where did Smith played again today????
I’m sorry, are you saying he is in our best 5 players if he plays wing and not in our best side if he plays half back? Wow.
Then surely your beaf should be with the coach and selectors, not with Smith. Especially since they just dropped Jones after 15 poor games on the wing.

He did manage to get a good spray in on a team mate for anticipating he would be on the move, rather than handballing to him while he stood still for the stat receive though.

That summed him up perfectly, the handball went to where Laird should of been moving to, unfortunately he just stood still.

This has been a big problem for years with our midfield, they just stand still, no movement, hence the blind kick over the shoulder - horrible coaching.

Work rate, size, winning first possession, get to the ball on the outside, can create scores. Unlikely many on our list he has AFL attributes. Decision making needs to be a little quicker sometimes, hopefully that comes in time as he gets used to the speed of the game.

Like Dawson we are throwing him around non stop. Mid, Wing, and in previous weeks HF and HB. He is a far better prospect than Berry and Shoenberg. It was a rough day for him, gave away 5 frees but also set up a few goals and lead the team for contested touches. He must be given every opportunity for the ROS.
I wouldn't call any of those afl traits without having other weapons. Not saying he's crap or isn't gonna make it, just wary of getting excited for someone new just because they're new.

Nank on the other hand showed key signs from day one. It was easy to identify. Just haven't identified it yet with Dowling.

I’m honestly baffled by the Smith hate that has emerged in the last 18 months. Judging by your profile, you have obviously been around footy for a while, so honestly, explain it to me. I think everyone would agree he has been a great player, so why last year, when he averaged more possessions than his career average, he laid more tackles than his career average, he took more marks than his career average and he averaged more rebound and inside 50’s than his career average did everyone suddenly decide he was no good. He was only 31 for gods sake.

He's gone from being a damaging aggressive ball user off half back, using his pace and long kick to break lines and hit up players further up the field (as well as a lethal goal kicker from long range)... to a useless stat padder that slams the ball on his boot at first opportunity without looking, often dumping it to contests that leave us worse off or in poor positions (if it's not a direct turnover). And that's if he does kick, his handballs are usually sideways panics to players under pressure. He's lost pace and speed of execution, he's struggling to read the play and his defensive work has fallen away.

The guy has been dropped this year for a reason, and far too late.

I’m sorry, are you saying he is in our best 5 players if he plays wing and not in our best side if he plays half back? Wow.
Then surely your beaf should be with the coach and selectors, not with Smith. Especially since they just dropped Jones after 15 poor games on the wing.
No, I'm saying last year he might have been had he didn't stink so much at half back and this year he might have also stunk up playing on the wing like he is at half back but Nicks decided to stick with him at half back before having to drop him due to his shit form.

Also generally gives himself time to make those decisions. Rarely panics.
Whoever made the Jarryd Lyons comparison is on the money IMO. Probably won't be an A grader but will be pretty solid.

I’m honestly baffled by the Smith hate that has emerged in the last 18 months. Judging by your profile, you have obviously been around footy for a while, so honestly, explain it to me. I think everyone would agree he has been a great player, so why last year, when he averaged more possessions than his career average, he laid more tackles than his career average, he took more marks than his career average and he averaged more rebound and inside 50’s than his career average did everyone suddenly decide he was no good. He was only 31 for gods sake.
I don’t hate Smith, he’s been one of my favourite players but his form has waned this year resulting in his eventual dropping. This is a sign the time is near and we need to develop players, we don’t need his experience.

If he sticks around his form will continue to decline, unnecessary selection pressure will result.

But your claim he’s got years left is ridiculous.

He's gone from being a damaging aggressive ball user off half back, using his pace and long kick to break lines and hit up players further up the field (as well as a lethal goal kicker from long range)... to a useless stat padder that slams the ball on his boot at first opportunity without looking, often dumping it to contests that leave us worse off or in poor positions (if it's not a direct turnover). And that's if he does kick, his handballs are usually sideways panics to players under pressure. He's lost pace and speed of execution, he's struggling to read the play and his defensive work has fallen away.

The guy has been dropped this year for a reason, and far too late.
I thought given how many posts you have that you would be able to have an opinion withought it being “ everyone hates this guy so I do too”.

No honest analysis supports your argument btw. Smiths Disposal efficiency was in his top 3 years last year, as was his meters gained. You say his defensive work fell away, however it was one of his best ever years for goals against and at the top for rebound 50’s. Your post is actually really disappointing as a Crows man, as Brodie Smith is genuinely one of our champions and like all our club champions doesn’t deserve to be abused by supporters, especially when the facts don’t back up their predujices.

We get it, you want a free trip to Perth each year for the next four seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t hate Smith, he’s been one of my favourite players but his form has waned this year resulting in his eventual dropping. This is a sign the time is near and we need to develop players, we don’t need his experience.

If he sticks around his form will continue to decline, unnecessary selection pressure will result.

Agreed. Even as recently as last year I thought he was okay, probably unfairly dogged by supporters here. Down from his best form for certain, but still a good player who could contribute to a premiership thrust over the 2024-25 seasons before retiring a club great. But this year his decision-making, his reaction time, his disposal, all of it has dropped enough to make him a liability at times, and at best average at others. Meanwhile we have several of his type toiling away at SANFL level unable to get into the side because we keep playing him. And, it has become painfully obvious that we are still years away from premiership contention. He does not have years left. His time should be up, a depth player for injury cover until his contract expires.

I thought given how many posts you have that you would be able to have an opinion withought it being “ everyone hates this guy so I do too”.

No honest analysis supports your argument btw. Smiths Disposal efficiency was in his top 3 years last year, as was his meters gained. You say his defensive work fell away, however it was one of his best ever years for goals against and at the top for rebound 50’s. Your post is actually really disappointing as a Crows man, as Brodie Smith is genuinely one of our champions and like all our club champions doesn’t deserve to be abused by supporters, especially when the facts don’t back up their predujices.

Peak Brodie Smith (eg 2016)
Score involvements per game - 6.1
Score involvements as a percentage of scores - 20%
Metres gained per disposal - 26
Score launches per game - 2
Intercept marks per game - 1.4
Pressure acts per game - 11
AFL player ratings - 11.5

Current Brodie Smith
Score involvements per game - 3.2
Score involvements as a percentage of scores - 16%
Metres gained per disposal - 20
Score launches per game - 0.8
Intercept marks per game - 0.5
Pressure acts per game - 9
AFL player ratings - 7.0

If you look beyond simple stuff like kicks and handballs his impact has fallen away

Murphy was better in second half. Should still be dropped.
Should possibly be dropped for that first half.
Should definitely be dropped for his body of work over the last month. Should not have played today.
... and yet, will be picked again next week, now that Nicks has seen (after only 4+ years) that he's not-bad as a defensive stopper :rolleyes: .

Last edited:

I have no idea how long Brodie will play on, and considering how his supporter base has turned on him I wouldn’t blame him for retiring. Personally hope he doesn’t as we have clearly got rid of too many senior players in this “rebuild” and we just don’t have enough experience in the team. It’s no coincidence that we lost to Richmond and Hawthorn while Tex was out, and losing him would leave us with very little experience down back.

One look at Collingwood and Geelong, who have won 2 of the last 3 flags, will show you the value of having over 30 players in your team.

Agreed. Even as recently as last year I thought he was okay, probably unfairly dogged by supporters here. Down from his best form for certain, but still a good player who could contribute to a premiership thrust over the 2024-25 seasons before retiring a club great. But this year his decision-making, his reaction time, his disposal, all of it has dropped enough to make him a liability at times, and at best average at others. Meanwhile we have several of his type toiling away at SANFL level unable to get into the side because we keep playing him. And, it has become painfully obvious that we are still years away from premiership contention. He does not have years left. His time should be up, a depth player for injury cover until his contract expires.
If, as is expected in here, he has hit the trigger for an extension, I hope they tell him his role will be purely in the twos as a development role. There is no room for him in the senior side with the form he’s shown this year. I’m not even sure there’s room for Tex either (and you know how much I love the Texan). We just need to bite the bullet. Silver’s at the pre match function said they are actively targeting 100+ game players. But I think that shouldn’t be the only criteria! 100+ is a given. Under 27 essential. Can kick is a no brainer! “Elite” becomes a must have. No idea who this could be!

I have no idea how long Brodie will play on, and considering how his supporter base has turned on him I wouldn’t blame him for retiring. Personally hope he doesn’t as we have clearly got rid of too many senior players in this “rebuild” and we just don’t have enough experience in the team. It’s no coincidence that we lost to Richmond and Hawthorn while Tex was out, and losing him would leave us with very little experience down back.

One look at Collingwood and Geelong, who have won 2 of the last 3 flags, will show you the value of having over 30 players in your team.
There’s good experience and theres bad experience. Good experienced players help a rebuild, players who are past it don’t. They panic as they slow down, they lack poise and the whole benefit of experience not only doesn’t exist but their performance hinders team results and development.

You’ve seen the errors, poor judgement and lack of poise right? There were examples of it today, he panicked and disposed of the ball in dangerous positions, I’d trust 10 game Nankervis over him to make the right decision.

And think, even Nicks with his love of experience dropped him, he wasn’t dropped after one poor game but a run of them.

As for Tex, refer to my opening paragraph, he’s good experience and we didn’t lose to Richmond because Tex was missing, we lost because we were smashed in ruck and the middle, lost inside 50s. We were actually more efficient and took more marks inside 50, our midfield let us down.

Why was he made sub and why was he dropped this year?

The Lions are into him, bumping, scragging, just working him over (see Harris Andrews trying to take him out) from the get-go, but then they outraged when Rankine sees someone running at him and decides to get a shot in first. It's just unfortunate for both it resulted in a concussion.
I'm not happy that Rankine will get 2-ish weeks for that bump. Also not happy the Lion was concussed.
I don't think Rankine expected that their heads would be involved --- he needed to stay low. He was probably frustrated/angry, but he's not a sniper.

i'll be honest, though --- I loved that bump.
I loved also Michalanney giving that grub Greene a serve after last week's win.

Showed some mongrel toughness that the Crows have lacked for years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back