Review R18: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. St. Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

The good:

Any win over the dire, poor excuse of Ross-ball has to be a good thing, not just for us, but for AFL in general.

Love the Bond cheer squad! Noticeably loud when he got near the ball, which was well deserved in an impressive debut.

Dowling and Taylor getting a full game was long overdue, and they played like they deserved it.

The reaction to Thilthorpe's first goal was absolutely awesome! After that moment, you just knew we were going to win. This meant a lot to the team, and in a season when there's not a lot to get excited about, it's a tangible piece of hope and joy to grab on to.

Kudos to the 34K plus who braved the elements.

The bad:

The umpires in general, and especially Nicholls (15). Apparently incorrect disposal of the ball only applied to us for the first three quarters. :madv1:

Lyon. Learn how to use a phone for starters... The AFL should immediately investigate the Saints for tanking and take away all of their 2025 draft picks. ;)

The ugly:

Roo moving from the boundary special comments for the game into being a full time commentator. The game itself was hard enough to watch, but this was absolute torture! We didn't get the B or C team commentating this game... more like the F-Team. :sick:

Last edited:

SLOWNE , I saw you disagreed, which is fine but I'm puzzled.
Here's why I don't rate him:
Brayden Cook 2024 stats:
12 games, 68 kicks (5.67/game), 40HB (3.33), 27 marks (2.25), score12.4 (1.03), tackles 18 (1.5), 1%x14, 7GA.
Last night 6K 6HB 2M 2T, which might be a pass but he didn't tear it up eg like Dowling.
Cook's possessions numbers in 2022 (8 games) were slightly better ie he's not getting any better.

Those (underwhelming) numbers are comparable to Murphy, who is derided in here.

Watching a game at home, when I hear Cook's name called, I'm surprised <== I actually forget that he's playing because he disappears for such long periods. I can't remember anything he's done that's made me think "Wow, this kid can play".
Like you, quite a few people do rate him eg Danger in Texas, but I would like to know why.
Serious and non-provocative question: what do you see in him that I don't, please?

Cook oozes talent. He's a good size, plays with poise and has excellent disposal. And can kick a goal. Not sure what his best position is. I like him up the ground kicking inside 50. Is his tank big enough to play on the wing?

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s the Royal “you”.
I think you mean the Royal "we", but I get the explanation. 'You', plural.
So many in here believing they know more than those at the coal face. Generally that’s how players get games - either on the back of blinding form in the twos or through injury to someone in the firsts. It’s not rocket science. WE don’t see the players every day. WE don’t know what they are being challenged with development wise.
Yeah, true; they know a lot more about what's going on behind the scenes and more about AFL footy in general. Most have played it, for starters.
I reckon THEY have some idea. Ok, maybe not always right, but they may have reasons that aren’t clear to US on the outer.
Hmmm :think:, ok, this is where we disagree.
You seem to think that we have to go along with what they do/decide even when they are "maybe not always right". To an extent you're right. It's beyond our control, but we don't have to like it.

I remember when Blighty started in 1997, he booted several senior players and for the first 8-10 games played a lot of players 'out of position', or at least not where they had played. It was only later that I could see, looking back, why he did that: flexibility.
If someone was injured he wanted to know which player/s he could move around to replace them but keep the structure. He also wanted to see which players could be used in different roles.
In the 4+ years that Nicks has been Head Coach, I have never thought to myself "Ohhhh, ok, I see why he did that. Good move/tactic/change". Never.

His selections are puzzling, his game plan (if he has one) is confusing to me (and also the players, I reckon <== hence the 0-4 start) and his tactics, well, I don't think he has much tactical acumen at all.
He's unoriginal, has no flair and if he reacts at all (eg to counter runs of goals against us which happen often), it's slowly.

OMG, no, we wouldn't necessarily at all. You are like fn programmed robots, its like you can't even comprehend anything other than "playing good kids = guaranteed premiership".

I already quoted the cases of GWS and GC who have had more top draft picks than us or anyone and being forced to play all the kids all the time. Where's their premierships?

I also asked about Clarkson. He's playing experienced players not likely to be around during next premiership window. Wrong according to BF simpleton logic.
Good retort. Of course we need balance and saying we haven't prioritised the youth or managed our list well enough (see playing the same 25-26 every game last year, giving games to seniors that were low on form or injured, giving games to future delistees etc.) Isn't saying drop every senior player. Its simply saying we could be closer to the tipping point experience wise or at least have a stronger understanding of where or list stands if we had handled selection differently in the last few years.

We're five years into a rebuild and still have one of the youngest/least experienced sides in the comp. Something has gone wrong somewhere. What do you think it is? Or are we flying on a perfect trajectory towards our next premiership under nicks? What year do you think it will be?

What other coaches have rebuilt their side from scratch and without an impressive line of top ten and/or charity handout picks?

you do realise 10 of the best 22 were regular in Pykes best team right. Then add Rankine and Dawson. Thats 12 players. 20 players are still on the list from the Pyke era. Collingwood had just 13 players from 2019 on the list. 13! let that sink in. So you have clearly fallen for the narrative of a rebuild when Nicks did no such thing. Its just been a natural progression. Sorry to disappoint.

Edit: his obsession with selecting plebs like Murphy, McHenry, Schoenberg, Rowe etc and selecting the same players in his best 22 over and over again regardless of form is on Nicks.

Last edited:
SLOWNE , I saw you disagreed, which is fine but I'm puzzled.
Here's why I don't rate him:
Brayden Cook 2024 stats:
12 games, 68 kicks (5.67/game), 40HB (3.33), 27 marks (2.25), score12.4 (1.03), tackles 18 (1.5), 1%x14, 7GA.
Last night 6K 6HB 2M 2T, which might be a pass but he didn't tear it up eg like Dowling.
Cook's possessions numbers in 2022 (8 games) were slightly better ie he's not getting any better.

Those (underwhelming) numbers are comparable to Murphy, who is derided in here.

Watching a game at home, when I hear Cook's name called, I'm surprised <== I actually forget that he's playing because he disappears for such long periods. I can't remember anything he's done that's made me think "Wow, this kid can play".
Like you, quite a few people do rate him eg Danger in Texas, but I would like to know why.
Serious and non-provocative question: what do you see in him that I don't, please?
I think I like him in the forward line more to be honest, creative in front of the sticks and is able to stick a mark. Doesn’t accumulate enough consistently to play up the ground

This is why I say he’s competing with Pedlar

The good:

Any win over the dire, poor excuse of Ross-ball has to be a good thing, not just for us, but for AFL in general.

Love the Bond cheer squad! Noticeably loud when he got near the ball, which was well deserved in an impressive debut.

Dowling and Taylor getting a full game was long overdue, and they played like they deserved it.

The reaction to Thilthorpe's first goal was absolutely awesome! After that moment, you just knew we were going to win. This meant a lot to the team, and in a season when there's not a lot to get excited about, it's a tangible piece of hope and joy to grab on to.

Kudos to the 34K plus who braved the elements.

The bad:

The umpires in general, and especially Nicholls (15). Apparently incorrect disposal of the ball only applied to us for the first three quarters. :madv1:

Lyon. Learn how to use a phone for starters... The AFL should immediately investigate the Saints for tanking and take away all of their 2025 draft picks. ;)

The ugly:

Roo moving from the boundary special comments for the game into being a full time commentator. The game itself was hard enough to watch, but this was absolute torture! We didn't get the B or C team commentating this game... more like the F-Team. :sick:
Adam Papalia and Jack Riewoldt are A grade commentators, Roo was fine with them to bounce off

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Riewoldt is awful, tries way too hard and sounds as smug as they come. Near Underwood levels of urge to mute.
Yeah I do not like Riewoldt at all, though Roo on special comms is worse. I like friggin Selwood more than both of them

I like Papalia, and Ruby Schleicher on the boundary seemed a character

Cook oozes talent. He's a good size, plays with poise and has excellent disposal. And can kick a goal. Not sure what his best position is. I like him up the ground kicking inside 50. Is his tank big enough to play on the wing?

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think he’s better closer to goal. He just knows where they are.

Good:
Soligo back in form means we look so much better,

Our entire 2021/22 drafts played Saturday night, we can't get first rounders right but we do 2-4 well, hats off to our development team in that regard.

Lairds most effective game this year, so much less dufus handballing and hacking the ball blindly in a game that its okay to do it in...

Nankervis and Taylor are such clean players, even in the wet.

Bad:
We get false hope from playing St Kilda at AO, they are hopeless here.

Ugly:
Were playing Essendon at Marvel this week, all the good feelings of some progress will turn to ash.
3 first round draft picks running around in the SANFL...

Good:
Soligo back in form means we look so much better,

Our entire 2021/22 drafts played Saturday night, we can't get first rounders right but we do 2-4 well, hats off to our development team in that regard.

Lairds most effective game this year, so much less dufus handballing and hacking the ball blindly in a game that its okay to do it in...

Nankervis and Taylor are such clean players, even in the wet.

Bad:
We get false hope from playing St Kilda at AO, they are hopeless here.

Ugly:
Were playing Essendon at Marvel this week, all the good feelings of some progress will turn to ash.
3 first round draft picks running around in the SANFL...

Five First rounders running around in the magoos if you include Edwards and Ryan

I liked Cook on the wing.
It brought him into the game better, and the talent is there.
Could be a great asset there.

And tbh, it looked like he was playing the Murphy role (yeah yeah, Murphy does it off the HFF and we basically play with 3 wingers) but he does it better, so it might lead to cutting Murphy.

From last nights team, the changes I'd make are Out: Murphy, Himmelberg In: Pedlar, Hinge and either move Smith to sub, or cut him for someone else altogether.
Curtin before pedlar .

Good retort. Of course we need balance and saying we haven't prioritised the youth or managed our list well enough (see playing the same 25-26 every game last year, giving games to seniors that were low on form or injured, giving games to future delistees etc.) Isn't saying drop every senior player. Its simply saying we could be closer to the tipping point experience wise or at least have a stronger understanding of where or list stands if we had handled selection differently in the last few years.

We're five years into a rebuild and still have one of the youngest/least experienced sides in the comp. Something has gone wrong somewhere. What do you think it is? Or are we flying on a perfect trajectory towards our next premiership under nicks? What year do you think it will be?
Honestly, I would have thought this is one of the smoothest rebuilds every seen in the history of AFL.

Completely bottom out then steadily improve every year, til now?

The issue may be that we didn't do a couple of EXTRA years of going completely backwards. I'm not sure we have enough tier one talent - Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne, North Melbourne, they all did much longer and lower rebuilds and came out of it with more stars.

If we're lucky, this might be the ideal year for a backward step, as the draft suits what we need.

I liked Cook on the wing.
It brought him into the game better, and the talent is there.
Could be a great asset there.

And tbh, it looked like he was playing the Murphy role (yeah yeah, Murphy does it off the HFF and we basically play with 3 wingers) but he does it better, so it might lead to cutting Murphy.

From last nights team, the changes I'd make are Out: Murphy, Himmelberg In: Pedlar, Hinge and either move Smith to sub, or cut him for someone else altogether.
Pedlar probably shouldn't play after his shoulder surgery last week. Curtin definitely the stand out from the Norwood game.

Honestly, I would have thought this is one of the smoothest rebuilds every seen in the history of AFL.

Completely bottom out then steadily improve every year, til now?

The issue may be that we didn't do a couple of EXTRA years of going completely backwards. I'm not sure we have enough tier one talent - Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne, North Melbourne, they all did much longer and lower rebuilds and came out of it with more stars.

If we're lucky, this might be the ideal year for a backward step, as the draft suits what we need.

So its the smoothest rebuild ever, except its probably is a complete failure that didn't acquire the necessary talent?

Smooth.

So its the smoothest rebuild ever, except its probably is a complete failure that didn't acquire the necessary talent?

Smooth.
very smooth

also trading in gibbs is still the gift that keeps giving - those first rounders would have been in their peak by now

Smooth.
It's like a really smooth, enjoyable bus trip that only takes you around the block instead of heading in to the city.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R18: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. St. Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back