Preview R21: Changes vs. Geelong Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Some BIG losses in the next four and we could be looking at the headlines “Nicks has lost the players”.

If we get smashed like we did against Hawthorn - or worse - it might trigger a coach exit … But more likely just an internal review that doesn’t address the real problem.

All of the teams we play are in the mix, need big wins … so there is a chance !!

I’ve been a big advocate for cook and I’m very glad he’s been given an extended run despite his form.
Hes just not getting enough of the ball unfortunately.
I would however like to see him on the wing more than deep forward though.
I’m not going to be critical of his toughness and that’s half the reason we are in the mess we are due to too many similar players, he’s not and never will be a “tough” player.
I’ll be disappointed if he gets dropped, more because he’s putting up figures very similar to Murphy (more goals, less disposals and tackles) but no one can say this year he hasn’t been given a good run.

Cook is almost the perfect specimen of a player who we will likely Delist but could easily see being a total gun at a well run club with quality development and coaching (like a Geelong, Sydney etc).

He just has attributes we cannot seem to extract to put it all together.

Cook is almost the perfect specimen of a player who we will likely Delist but could easily see being a total gun at a well run club with quality development and coaching (like a Geelong, Sydney etc).

Well he’s got two more years, I did think he was in danger before getting that though.

Stewart had 15 intercepts in Rd 2.

Murphy had 9 possessions in Rd 2.
I wouldn't mind actually sending a defender to Stewart this week. Hinge or even Worrell if he's back. Someone who can match him both physically and aerially.

Really just want to see a game against Geelong in which we don't get beaten by exactly what we know is going to beat us.

Yeah lets drop Taylor and Bond.

Taylor I'm assuming was playing injured, or sore, but you can bet your bottom dollar if Dawson AND Crouch are available Taylor will make way ahead of Berry. I know it feels like Christmas to all the man-children on this board and having your shiny new presents taken away, but that's life! Bond will almost certainly be dropped for Hamill, sorry about that too for any feelings hurt. If you think a young midfield being torched by Hawthorn was bad for their confidence, wait until you put them in front a Geelong midfield at Kardinia.

Taylor I'm assuming was playing injured, or sore, but you can bet your bottom dollar if Dawson AND Crouch are available Taylor will make way ahead of Berry. I know it feels like Christmas to all the man-children on this board and having your shiny new presents taken away, but that's life! Bond will almost certainly be dropped for Hamill, sorry about that too for any feelings hurt. If you think a young midfield being torched by Hawthorn was bad for their confidence, wait until you put them in front a Geelong midfield at Kardinia.
We're going to get destroyed regardless. We haven't beaten them there since we had McLeod/Roo/Goodwin at their peak.

Oh well, one more game closer to Nicks getting sacked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some BIG losses in the next four and we could be looking at the headlines “Nicks has lost the players”.

If we get smashed like we did against Hawthorn - or worse - it might trigger a coach exit … But more likely just an internal review that doesn’t address the real problem.

All of the teams we play are in the mix, need big wins … so there is a chance !!

In no way shape or form is Nicks going to leave this year, or get the axe, but if there's no finals next year I'd imagine he'll have his final year paid out, the noise will be too strong.

Spot on. Lots to play for this weekend.

Lets aim to lose by 30 rather than 60.

I know it can be a bit of a graveyard but I wouldn't mind seeing Dowling take on the high half-forward / pressure forward role currently occupied by Murphy. It's a bit of a double-edged sword type of move in that it allows us to flick Murphy who is self-evidently dead weight in the team, trial Dowling in a spot that I think he's got some natural attributes for (goal sense, great tank, willing tackler) and also frees up a rotation on the wing for another young player to use (hello Dan Curtin). I wouldn't necessarily have Dowling do this exclusively as I think Taylor also could fill the same spot but anything to get Murphy out (without it opening the door for McHenry in).

Also the cynic in me feels like with Dermie perhaps inadvertently putting a spotlight on Murphy's role and lack of contribution (even though it's been apparent for weeks/months/years) that this might be the week that Nicks magically sees the light and makes this long overdue change.

Why would we even consider playing Crouch in dead rubbers off the back of a two month shoulder injury that originally ruled him out for the season?
Nicks

I really want him to have a huge pre-season. Lose 2kg of fat, put on 4 of muscle.

I want him jacked and fit for Rnd 1, breathing fire and full of confidence. The kid has the skill to be top tier if he has the will.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R21: Changes vs. Geelong Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back