Preview R21: Changes vs. Geelong Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would we even consider playing Crouch in dead rubbers off the back of a two month shoulder injury that originally ruled him out for the season?

What do you mean "dead rubbers". There is no such thing, there are 4 points on offer and we will do everything we can to win them. As Nix said, our plan is to finish the season strong and all our efforts and decisions will be geared at that. And as NVB says, the best way to develop for the future is to win this week.

FF: Thilthorpe - Walker - Rachele
HF: Keays - Fogarty - Dowling
C: Dawson - Soligo - Sholl
FOLL: O'Brien - Curtin - Taylor
HB: Hinge - Murray - Nankervis
FB: Worrell - Keane - Bond
INT: Cook - Laird - Berry - Michalanney
SUB: Jones

Outs:
  • Himmelberg
  • Borlase
  • Murphy

Ins:
  • Dawson
  • Murray
  • Worrell

Personally I would prefer to keep Borlase in and put Murray on ice for the rest of the year.

Would really hope that list management is talking with Nicks, but I highly doubt that based on history.

I know it can be a bit of a graveyard but I wouldn't mind seeing Dowling take on the high half-forward / pressure forward role currently occupied by Murphy. It's a bit of a double-edged sword type of move in that it allows us to flick Murphy who is self-evidently dead weight in the team, trial Dowling in a spot that I think he's got some natural attributes for (goal sense, great tank, willing tackler) and also frees up a rotation on the wing for another young player to use (hello Dan Curtin). I wouldn't necessarily have Dowling do this exclusively as I think Taylor also could fill the same spot but anything to get Murphy out (without it opening the door for McHenry in).

Also the cynic in me feels like with Dermie perhaps inadvertently putting a spotlight on Murphy's role and lack of contribution (even though it's been apparent for weeks/months/years) that this might be the week that Nicks magically sees the light and makes this long overdue change.
Unfortunately I feel that any outside scrutiny on Murphy would cause us to circle the wagons and rally around him like never before.

He's internally adored.

It's baffling given that all our coaches are on the verge of being fired (or should be anyway)

What do you mean "dead rubbers". There is no such thing, there are 4 points on offer and we will do everything we can to win them. As Nix said, our plan is to finish the season strong and all our efforts and decisions will be geared at that. And as NVB says, the best way to develop for the future is to win this week.
TBH I wouldn't mind a win to break that KP losing streak this week, just sick of us losing there and losing in general!

If any of that stuff we talk about standards, and performance is real Laird has to be dropped. Just flat out taking the piss with his slow strolling defensive "efforts".

Make an example of him.
cue laird captain for this week with Dawson still missing through concussion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like Simonds Stadium/GMHBA/Kardinia Park is a shit heap currently going by an article in today's Geelong Ady..

AFL 2024: Tom Stewart says players taking training off GMHBA Stadium in their stride​

Geelong star Tom Stewart isnā€™t fazed with the Catsā€™ moved training sessions off GMHBA Stadium this week and last, ahead of a return to their home stadium against Adelaide on Saturday.
The Cats were back at Kardinia Park Monday after their 40-point round 20 win over North Melbourne in Tasmania, with players starting to roll out to St Maryā€™s Anthony Costa Oval around 9am for training.

It comes after GMHBA Stadiumā€™s muddy surface in round 19 against Western Bulldogs drew plenty of attention across the competition, with the Cats also taking training to Deakin last week.

Stewart said players were taking the move off GMHA Stadium, where they often train two to three times a week, in their stride.

Surprised that more people are not nominating to be dropped, heā€™s one of our most inconsistent players.

Berry seems to make poor football decisions, whether thatā€™s getting caught HTB or how he moves the ball, his disposal isnā€™t great either.

Need to weed out the players who struggle with consistency from game to game, and qtr to qtr.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Surprised that more people are not nominating to be dropped, heā€™s one of our most inconsistent players.

Berry seems to make poor football decisions, whether thatā€™s getting caught HTB or how he moves the ball, his disposal isnā€™t great either.

Need to weed out the players who struggle with consistency from game to game, and qtr to qtr.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
But they can still reach 100 gamesšŸ˜‰

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R21: Changes vs. Geelong Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back