Autopsy Rd 10 Blues rally late to hold out the Hawks

Who played well for the Blues against the Hawks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Some positives:

* The team worked hard the whole game and the intensity in the last was phenomenal.

* Hawks copped a heap in the media after losing to North this week. They were always going to come out swinging so maybe it's not a true reflection of where we are at.

* Williams is a half back. Who knew? A really good combination having him and Saad back there.

* Docherty looks great up the ground. Getting contested possessions and making tackles. Love it.
The way docherty played the wing just behind the contest suits his style as he is often unaccountable at half back - his body size and shape with Low centre of gravity is so suited to contested football-- before his first knee he probably would of moved into the midfield anyways..

I just re-watched most of the game after returning from the G. It looked much better on TV compared to live. Reason is that on TV you are mostly zoomed in close to the area where the ball. On TV it looks better then live when you can see the whole field. I thought the work without the ball, positioning, use of the the best options when kicking etc etc was not very good and that you don't see on TV. I maintain that our structure/positioning, set ups, choices etc were poor. And to me we look like a team that is not well drilled and often set up poorly and does not use the best option. They work hard but we are not optimizing the clear talent we have.
Agree. Watching from the ground I thought we looked very flat footed and reluctant to lead.

Serious? Have you watched us? Did you watch today?

A whole bunch of honourable losses where we are ran over when it counts amounts to nothing.

Our ball use and defensive schemes are deplorable.

We are so far off being a top 8 team it isn't funny.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the win. We were only slightly less sh*t than the team that just lost to North Melbourne. Let that sink in.

"Things to work on" is like saying the titanic was a mild mishap.
Everyone has their own opinion and that's fine.

Just please do the rest of us a favour and go support another team. Poor culture is the single biggest problem our club has and you are the epitome of it.

The rest of us would like to enjoy the win even though we all know we won't win the flag this year.

Oh ok, so your view is the correct one??
Sorry my mistake Bigfootyego#19383009

Nice condesceding smartarse comment at the end too!
Great character obviously!

We'll see genius, We'll see
Well, not really. Most of those teams turned it on for 30 mins and beat us.

Fact is we are not far removed from the bottom four. You can sugar coat it in any fantasy land way you like to make yourself feel better.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree. Watching from the ground I thought we looked very flat footed and reluctant to lead.
Sames. Forward line played like six individuals...Harry had little space to lead into,but also a bit reluctant to get on his bike.

Nearly fell off my chair when Betts hit Owies with a quality pass to a well timed lead.

MCG vs the Hawks. Some shocking memories stick in the craw.

Exhibit 1 Dean Rice jogged off half back flank with less than a minute to go leading by less than a goal, and dinks an appalling kick to let them get a 50/50 boundary throw in, which they win, get it in to Dixon who boots one after the siren to break our hearts.

Exhibit 2 watching Fev's kick after the siren sail towards goal and the whole place goes up, and I'm like the only one saw it scrape the post on the way through. Broken heart again.

Somehow, I've forgotten the thumpings as well, but the breakthrough last year was so long coming.
So I'm taking today, no matter how, or by how much.

So would any Blues supporter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If someone like a kemp(marchbank out a none event) can come and be our third tall intercepting playmaker and take plowman or Newman spot or stocker move up the ground -- one it may help Jones not get so lost in transition , then we would have an awesome back 7(or we need to invest in a mature full back in the near future ) Especially with Saad and Williams able to link through docherty Walsh silvagni and Martin .. after halftime we were a lot better defending the ground ball - still long way to go but some of the bad disposal is the wrong guys having the ball - also we need to make a decision if Charlie isn't going to come right we need another tall forward to spread the defence ..
Not over the moon with today but content as you could see it going either way at half time and at one stage it looked if hawks could adjust there ball movement they would run over us -- we come out after halftime absorbed what they had and won as we were meant to ..

Oh ok, so your view is the correct one??
Sorry my mistake Bigfootyego#19383009

Nice condesceding smartarse comment at the end too!
Great character obviously!

We'll see genius, We'll see

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Sheesh. Do you overthink everything like this? You must have a tough life. Sorry for offending you.

I'm certainly no genius but I do ok, thanks for asking. 🤣🤣

Everyone has their own opinion and that's fine.

Just please do the rest of us a favour and go support another team. Poor culture is the single biggest problem our club has and you are the epitome of it.

The rest of us would like to enjoy the win even though we all know we won't win the flag this year.
You're a trooper. Gold star.

I have clearly commented that getting a win is great.

If you're too simplistic to enjoy a win and simultaneously be critical of our issues, well, you need to wipe the drool off your bottom lip and allow others to voice their balanced opinions without being asked to support another team.

First gold star, I suspect?

Not being facetious but Owies basketball background really helps him to just get into dangerous areas as
MCG vs the Hawks. Some shocking memories stick in the craw.

Exhibit 1 Dean Rice jogged off half back flank with less than a minute to go leading by less than a goal, and dinks an appalling kick to let them get a 50/50 boundary throw in, which they win, get it in to Dixon who boots one after the siren to break our hearts.

Exhibit 2 watching Fev's kick after the siren sail towards goal and the whole place goes up, and I'm like the only one saw it scrape the post on the way through. Broken heart again.

Somehow, I've forgotten the thumpings as well, but the breakthrough last year was so long coming.
So I'm taking today, no matter how, or by how much.

So would any Blues supporter.

Bit of a monkey off the back.

Hawthorn smelled blood on a few occasions, and sensed they could come over the top and we held fast.

Bit an uncomfortable team to match up on given the strong bodies they have at the coalface.

From my end that was after multiple decent leads are burnt by poor disposal or slow decisions.

TDK and Harry were out the back with 20m on their opponent in the first and players went lateral or fluffed the kick.

We need more of the Jack sizzlers to leading targets. That was Mozart.

You're a trooper. Gold star.

I have clearly commented that getting a win is great.

If you're too simplistic to enjoy a win and simultaneously be critical of our issues, well, you need to wipe the drool off your bottom lip and allow others to voice their balanced opinions without being asked to support another team.

First gold star, I suspect?
Mate take it to one of the many coaching or selection or performance forums there's heaps of them ready for your strategic analysis of the club or gameplan or whatever. Let people enjoy a win in here without dragging the rest of us down.

And give yourself a gold star while you're at it.

The way docherty played the wing just behind the contest suits his style as he is often unaccountable at half back - his body size and shape with Low centre of gravity is so suited to contested football-- before his first knee he probably would of moved into the midfield anyways..
Looking better and better. His athleticism is nearly back. Just needs to get those couple howlers out of his game. He is a new man up the ground though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 10 Blues rally late to hold out the Hawks

Back