Autopsy Rd 4 - Massive choke - Bottomed out again.

Whose game did you like in Round 4?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Correct. It’s blatantly obvious when you pay close attention to how he holds the ball.

A coach needs to work with him to fix his technique.
JLT last year and he kicked it out on the full running into an easy goal and I thought 'geez hope that was a one off' , by about rnd 4 it changed to 'geez he is a shit kick'

Hoped it had changed over summer a little, not a great kick but some improvement. But by rnd 1, nope.....

I am literally surprised the ball hits his foot some times running at goal with no pressure on him. Technique is horrible

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It's not made up but it's a little disengenuous and exaggerated. He made a comment about bombing it long about a week ago which was basically it's part of what we do.

Either way, he's not getting this front half plan right. As you say, careys a dickhead but if he knows anything at all it's how he liked to receive the ball in the forward 50.
Get it in quick to advantage and put the defence under pressure , it’s always been that way...ask Sticks

I was shocked too, simmo, Daisey? You'd think one of those experienced guys would have stood at the last line, what a ****** day.
Yeah maybe, but I'd like to take this moment to say Daisy has been fantastic for Carlton and I won't hear a bad word against him. Since he has had his body right he has been our best on veteran leader. Puts his body on the line, takes the game on and is an extrovert when talking to the kids. Get him to 100 games, because he plays for the jumper a lot more than is required

Losing the game in the manner that we did was gut wrenching. The turnovers repeatedly just killed us, so many targets missed all day., add this to some poor decision making and we get that sort of result.
A few players deserving of praise
Jones really good down back
Weitering showing the form that we envisaged after his first year
Cripps his usual gladatorial best, we are so lucky to have him.
Walsh a star already and his ceiling is so high.
Daisy tried his butt off again.

Are you making that up sky? Because I watched Bolton’s presser and he didn’t say anything at all about bombing to our fwds.
The only concern for me is that he said he doesn’t want the ball to go into our fwds too quick or at least that’s the way I understood it. If so that makes my head spin...listen to Wayne Carey about getting the ball in quick to your fwds...he’s a dick and all but one of the greatest chf of all time so I pay attention when he’s talking about how the ball should go in to your forwards.
Yep. There is a lot of indecisiveness about this team and it kills us. Successful teams are all about getting the ball and making quick decisions with ball in hand. It’s near impossible for defenders to defend when midfielders and half forwards mark and wheel around quickly and get it in fast to leads.

This rubbish of quick movement from the back and then hesistating or kicking it long and high to packs is so easy for defenders. Modern day key defenders live to read these sort of kicks and zone off their man to intercept.

If its any form of cold Comfort/Consolation, Weitering getting his mojo/confidence back, is far more valuable to us a football club going forwards than 4 points.

He just looked so poised and confident out there (especially in the first half)

Pooh Pooh me if you want, but I honestly prefer meaningful and tangible Youth progress and development to wins at this point in
Also I think the players (from an educational point of view) learn more from shattering losses like this, than wins.

A lot to look forwards folks, hang in there, the good times are not far away.

Genuine question though GS. Do we have the footskills to get the ball quickly into our forward line? To partially answer my question, I guess we don’t have the footskills to get it in there slowly either.
You don’t have to put it lace out just to advantage even an average kicker of the ball gets the job done.

The reality is neither team deserved 4 premiership points from that game, it was terrible all round.
Snagging the win would've just glossed over the terrible truth of how poor we were. We played better in all 3 of our losses.
A lot of lessons to be learnt from that game, hopefully its a good springboard for a lot of players.

This game was almost beaten to death by the UGLY STICK.

Absolutely the worst game of football I’ve ever seen.

Watching replay x 4 speed with Benny Hill music would be entirely appropriate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay, my take on today.

One of the toughest games I have ever watched. Standard was shocking and not helped by umpiring. I never worry about umpires but thought they were poor.
We lost to a side on their home ground who has been in good form by 2 points. Could have easily won. (although that doesn't help)
Absolutely gutted when they kicked that goal with 10 seconds left.
Can't blame it on one thing/player etc as their were mistakes everywhere. Both sides.

Can't question effort. They gave their all.
Jones Weitering Walsh & Cripps were awesome. Murphy SPS Simpson Daisy Marchbank were good. Our defence is really starting to take shape and will be a strength
Ruck is a major issue. Lobbe for all his effort struggles. Kruezer needed asap plus more added at years end
Thought our forward line functioned well when we had clean ball and made the right decisions like at start of 2nd quarter.
The kicking to Gibbons when others had made space was amazing. Staggering
Quite liked Fisher as a forward. Could do well with Cuningham.

Our midfield is carrying so much youth and inexperience it makes it hard to compete consistently
Carrying Setterfield Dow SPS LOB Gibbons Fisher Walsh in the one side is just too hard. I rate them all highly but some need to go back and learn/develop and they need to be rotated in blocks through the seniors. IMO we are expecting too much especially of Dow Setterfield O'Brien after injury interrupted pre seasons. Gibbons is simply in the wrong position.
Issue is we don't have much else. Kennedy didn't play today
We desperately need some extra physicality around the ball. Badly. Kruezer will help
Each week we seem to be carrying 4-5 players as virtual passengers and you can't do that and win
Young players fatigue quickly and it causes disposal and leg speed issues.

I trust there will be a bit of soul searching this week and their should be.

Bottom line is it was a frustrating day but doesn't change anything for me
Still developing, still be ups and downs
People will be questioning the coach but I can't yet. They are obviously playing for him and as I have said I can't judge him until he has the cattle. At the moment too many under 50 game players to expect too much. That's reality
He won't be sacked and neither will anyone else. That's old Carlton

This years recruiting needs to focus on the 24-28 year group. We are lacking that group badly and it's costing us in so many areas.

As I have said all along that I will judge us properly at the end of the year. IMO the talent is there and its just time and development. Not a week or a month but 3-4 years is how long it takes. Weitering today is a great example. Even Charlie & McKay are still very much finding their way and inconsistent

Kruezer Cuningham maybe Jack back next week will really help as will another week of cohesion for the forwards. Williamson Stocker TDK Kennedy are players we can look forward to and we miss Docherty.

What I hope now is Bolton Judd Lloyd the coaching staff continue to assess, stick together, look at everything and improve. It's ugly at the moment but if you look at it individually we have improved a lot. It now just needs to continue to develop and gel.

The LIST REBUILD only finished last November and now ist about development and filling in the gaps. Phase Two.

I still have no doubt it will turn.

Go Blues

As a forwards coach you are at the complete mercy of the rabble up the field. He's one who can coach and the one and only reason McGovern came to Carlton.
True some of I50 entries made it tough for our forwards.

However, I don’t think our forward line has much structure or system about it yet - forwards coach needs to sort this out.

This is really close to the best post in the thread. You lost me a bit with the whole humiliation and setting stuff on fire, but the sentiment is spot on. A win today would have been a sham. We were putrid.

There's nothing like hitting rock bottom to turn things around, and thankfully I think today was it. Today's loss was far worse than our 100-point beltings of last season. We were genuinely capable of winning, but couldn't, or wouldn't. And it absolutely stinks.
Lol rock bottom ? Pretty sure we hit that last year and we have only won 3 of the last 37 games or something... More like staying at rock bottom.and not progressing one iota...

I couldn’t give a flying , JB.
I think a good vent after a performance like that is perfectly reasonable.
It’s the perennial defenders here that think they must protect the club at all costs that make me laugh ...
doesn't sound like you're laughing........

Bolton and selection committee must go.
Time after time, wrong team gets picked. 4 tall forwards and the ball ket getting kicked to Gibbbons - absolutely pathetic.
We were 10 x more talented than Gold Coast list today but got out coached and had no structure/game plan to move the ball forward.

I hope we are already in Sam Mitchell’s ear for next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 4 - Massive choke - Bottomed out again.

Back