AFL Toast RND 10: Dreamtime Winning

Remove this Banner Ad

The good;
Where do we start?

Zac Merret is genuinely the most under rated player in the ocmp and would be close to leading our born low vote count at this point of the year which who knows.. 1st on the ground for metres gained, possessions, score involvements, tackles, pressure acts, 2nd on the ground for contested possessions, (general) clearances.

Sam Durham; I still reserve my right for judgement but this is what makes me question my judgement. This can be closer to the average rather than out of the box. 20 touches, couple of goals as what many think a defensive minded winger is brilliant. Loved the honesty in the post game ("yeh, shat meself" haha)

Ben Hobbs - full time midfielder from now on please. Genuinely did not look out of place and had moments of brilliance. Noted his work rate at one point when he was out on his feet. Surprised he only had 23 touches. Thought it was more such was his impact.

Jye Caldwell - career best night imho. Had some howlers (direct turnovers in two goals) but had some magical moments of brilliance (that tracer bullet from the centre clearance to Weid was from a fairytale of dreams). 31 touches was a PB. Brilliant with his hands in close.

Brandon ark - Thatcher ~ should be in the votes for his game on Riewoldt. 11 intercept possessions (most on the ground), DE% of 88% and the 9 marks was brilliant to see for the back men. Mentioned this in his player thread but he has become so reliable with ball in hand. I don't feel uneasy when he has the ball.

Kaine Baldwin - Could go on and on about every one but wanna quick shout out to Kaine for filling in and doing a more than serviceable job down back. As I think Lore noted, has the turning circle of a truck but has size, uses it, not afraid of contact and has decent mitts. Can see why he would have been highly rated when he was younger. To play a foreign position and do it serviceably is a credit to he and the team.

Andy McGrath - 29 touches at 90% is awesome, people will remember the bad moments but he was pretty bloody good tonight.

Dyson Heppell - shout out to the former skipper who had some howler moments but played a fairly solid game.

The bad;
Not too many for us for once.

Andrew Phillips had a nightmare, we can all agree. Hopefully we can see the stallion in next week and the long flowing locks of hair that Nick Bryan has for Flip who has been ok for us this year.

Kicking for goal is still an issue. We had them on early (4.1 at quarter time, kicked 6.10 after 1/4 time), sooner we kick better the better.

Turnover is still killing us. The dump kick will be the end of us. All teams do it, the good ones aim it properly.

The ugly;
Hmmm. Let's enjoy the win

nuh, **** the umpires. They were horrid. Genuine lottery when deciphering an umpires decision.

Seriously though, when the big three are back in the midfield we're going to have some depth going through there. Caldwell, Merrett and Shiel can all play through the forward line as well.

Our wings are so good. With Martin's run and evasiveness, Durham gets enough hardballs to get stats like an inside mid.

The run of Redman and McGrath from the back half, plus Hind who will most likely be upgraded in the next few years, is awesome too.

Our groundball and contested ball game is going to be very very good.

That was pretty good. Not gunna lie.
Confused Youtube GIF by Fetish Series

all jokes aside, i think that all of our players (sans nick hind) who've been playing poorly over the past couple of weeks, menzie, durham etc, really played well tonight when it mattered most. i was impressed most by kaine baldwin, zerk-thatcher and ben hobbes. especially hobbes. his work ethic tonight was mostly bang on the money, it's great to see.

Even Hind had his moments late in the contest.

But how good was BZT? The man almost never lost a contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A quick shout out to Langford who stood up for the young fella who got battered by Macintosh which SHOULD have been 50m.

First time ive seen a team mate throw a bit of agro around and defend a team mate with some physicality
We've found ourselves under Brad and his band of coaches

Damn straight. Even wifey said that. I was quite shocked because I didn't even think she was watching.
Yeah Mrs.Beerfish and I were watching. 😆

It only hit me on seeing the reply one of the 4 or 5 times I've seen it now, definitely something he'd typically have a crack at, did the mature team thing though. I'm impressed.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Toast RND 10: Dreamtime Winning

Remove this Banner Ad

Back