Preview RND 15 - Carlton v Fremantle Sunday 30th June 5.20PM (EST) @ Optus Stadium - Final Team Post #517

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcgovern : 191cm at 93kg
Jsos : 191 at 89kg
Thomas : 185 at 86kg
Im trying to see why Jsos/Mcgovern is discussed as like for like. Id prefer Jsos over Thomas, he needs games, probably a better player and I dont think Thomas is as smart or as effective as most think. Also, Mcgovern has done more in his early time at the club than Thomas managed. The future players preferenced over the incumbents. Thomas would serve us better now as a mentor/player in the vfl.

Last edited:
I have no idea what we will do for this game

Does Jack come back in to add some size around the ball?
Kennedy was good last week and is what we need?
Does Jones come straight back in and if so for who? IMO it has to be for a tall other wise we are too tall, but who? Then there is Goddard
Like to see DeLuca but can't be ready
Owies must be getting closer

Buggered if I know so I'll go with NO changes
As we've said, its a good problem to have.

I'd probably go in unchanged. Give SOS another week to dominate the 2s and then bring him back against the Dees.

There are some pretty handy outs for Freo in Hogan & S Hills. Would be great if Walters was also an out.
It's hard to gauge how we will go.
First thing is to play 4 solid quarters. Avoid these lapses where teams get a 4-5 goal run on.
Can't always play catch up.
Not sure about the debate with McGov, Dow & Gibbons. They were all below par.
Big Harry needs to step up again.
JSOS I think has earnt a recall. Probably comes down to how well they have trained and team balance.
Would love a win to set up for a back to back against Demons.
We can only hope and dream.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like this sentiment. In a way it reminds me of when we backed in some untried youngsters and debuted Jacobs, Garlett and Robinson (and possibly Chris Johnson? There was a fourth) against Richmond in R1 all those years ago... I feel that game was instrumental in kickstarting a good period for the club (not that any great heights were ultimately achieved but that group did overall prove a solid one and won a few finals).

It sent a message that Ratten would reward form and commitment, not necessarily reputation. The club probably needs to get to that point again - young guys like Dow and older guys like Murph no longer presuming themselves to be automatic selections. Will certainly be interesting what happens at selection this week.
The great Aaron Joseph!

and will effectively have around 3 weeks without a game. Our players need games

Well yeah.....but the alternative is we don't take any emergencies and if someone gets injured in the warm-up we're screwed. Only way to avoid it would be for the NB's to not have a bye in the same week as the seniors, or for the seniors to play at home after the bye. I'm tipping there are enough major considerations for the fixture that one or two fringe players having an extra week without a game isn't going to be high on the list.

Teague is coaching for his career and a sniff at the job - the Club wants wins. Makes me think that the chances of blokes like McGovern and Dow getting dropped are pretty low. The fact is that their 'cameo' performances are match changing - in a good way. SOJ might have been unlucky - because as a player he has more impact than a few ( eg Gibbons) but it is all about 'fit' and balance and roles I suspect. Jack is not going to grab a big mark or kick a goal when required- he misses them in AFL pretty much every time. I love his endeavour and helter skelter repeat efforts - but suspect his go will be as a utility not as an alternative to a genuine tall forward - needs to beef up and increase endurance for midfield time and offer a genuine rotation option.

As the year progresses - depending on Club's perspective and player decisions - it may well be that Simmo and Thomas are eased out of starting duties if they aren't going to feature next year - these two are more likely sources of alternative player opportunity and harder to cover for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back