AFL Autopsy RND 18: Loss Against The Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

They are simply not ready.
The team is not complete.

One trick pony game plan that doesn’t suit outdoors only marvel. Throw in opp pressure and it’s like kryptonite to the current 22.

The death star wasn't ready either, was half complete but it's weapons system was still operational, just a pity there is also a small flaw in our defences that can be exposed by a single fighter

The death star wasn't ready either, was half complete but it's weapons system was still operational, just a pity there is also a small flaw in our defences that can be exposed by a single fighter
Would hardly say our weapons system is totally operational. Quite often we are turning up to a gun fight with a knife.

Think we have the gun but we are spending a minute spinning it on our finger showing off while the other guy just pulls the trigger
Our gun.
360_F_532051042_VlEADs8faYMIwe8vwxPrjQDpALWEX024.jpg

It's a musket when Kelly has the ball.... Spends 5 minutes pouring gun powder in the end poking it down with a stick
Well like I said. If others could work out how to find space and be in the right spot rather than running into the forest the we would not have our back pocket getting the footy and staying in his lane. Someone else has to command the footy. Him going slow is no worse than McGrath going fast into dead ends. Kelly gets delisted in my view but my issue is why is the back pocket the only bloke who has half a football brain despite the fact he does not have the kicking tools to make more of it.

The worry is they expect more from what we have. We have really overachieved this year and then it is meltdown when we have a bit of a stumble.
I don't know about overachieved - with the emergence of Durham and Caldwell as near elite mids, landing Dursma, Zach going another step, Harry getting on the park we look a different team. We have displayed a fair bit of grit too winning closeish games and I think that is a big credit to Scott. The comp is fairly even and most teams have their limitations (except say a Brisbane that is stocked with superstar power when fit). You articulated well our limitations. Our bottom 5 players when off are putrid.

I thought we looked our best in the Adelaide match when we had Harry full forward with his running power and competitiveness in 2MPs absence, ADJ with his express speed (even though he is scared of his own shadow) and I think Menzie was playing too - so the balance was different and much better. This balance has been off since with all of 2MP, Langers, Stringer (and now Caddy also) playing moreso in the wet. The opposition have been walking the ball out of defense. I like Scott in a lot of areas but team selection not one of his strengths and I said it a while back we will be pissing 4 points away here and there because of it.

To be so close playing 10 minutes at the start and 10 minutes in the end is an indictment on everything inbetween.

We were outworked and they were cleaner in the wet, simple as that.

Selection didn't help going in so tall however I look at guys like Gresham, Guelfi, Heppell and Perkins who were every bit as ineffectual as the talls.

The temptation for this side to slide back into that second half fade is going to demand a lot from them.

Here’s the thing.
Just yday Ess was in the conversation to potentially take second spot on the ladder. Second!!
When was the last time Ess and top 4 were in the same sentence?
The potential is there but more work is needed across all areas.

I don't know about overachieved - with the emergence of Durham and Caldwell as near elite mids, landing Dursma, Zach going another step, Harry getting on the park we look a different team. We have displayed a fair bit of grit too winning closeish games and I think that is a big credit to Scott. The comp is fairly even and most teams have their limitations (except say a Brisbane that is stocked with superstar power when fit). You articulated well our limitations. Our bottom 5 players when off are putrid.

I thought we looked our best in the Adelaide match when we had Harry full forward with his running power and competitiveness in 2MPs absence, ADJ with his express speed (even though he is scared of his own shadow) and I think Menzie was playing too - so the balance was different and much better. This balance has been off since with all of 2MP, Langers, Stringer (and now Caddy also) playing moreso in the wet. The opposition have been walking the ball out of defense. I like Scott in a lot of areas but team selection not one of his strengths and I said it a while back we will be pissing 4 points away here and there because of it.
The problem with selection is it has not just been about who has done what on game day. Match sim during the week has played a big role as far as players have to be getting as much of it right as they can. That is the fine line variable as far as buy into game plan v output in the game. We are not privy to all the variables . Not saying there has not been selection mistakes. Last night was a fail as far as horses for courses go for sure but I do know right now while they develop the culture footy form is not the only variable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'll be 2 points ahead of 9th after today's results. I thought I was pessimistic when I had us finishing 7th or 8th given so many others were dreaming of top 4. It might have actually been optimistic because we're a serious chance of completely missing the 8.

I think we'll still end up sneaking in to cop another belting. Probably an interstate final as usual.

The problem with selection is it has not just been about who has done what on game day. Match sim during the week has played a big role as far as players have to be getting as much of it right as they can. That is the fine line variable as far as buy into game plan v output in the game. We are not privy to all the variables . Not saying there has not been selection mistakes. Last night was a fail as far as horses for courses go for sure but I do know right now while they develop the culture footy form is not the only variable.
The problem with this is that match sim isn't against a real team, which real changes, and dynamics and variety. It also reeks of, as long I win this match sim, my place in the team is safe no matter how I play.

I have no doubt Perkins is capable of dominating a match sim against certain players and in certain circumstances, but it's been proven this year his value is low to the team, and yet week in week out he is there. Maybe I'm missing something, as I don't pretend to have deep knowledge of footy, but surely dominating against real players who want to win should mean more then match sim.

I mean what's Cox doing so well at match sim that has us keep him and his 10 possessions in the team? (Not having a crack at Cox her, genuinely wondering?- and at least there is sense in giving Cox games over Heppell based on age alone)

The problem with this is that match sim isn't against a real team, which real changes, and dynamics and variety. It also reeks of, as long I win this match sim, my place in the team is safe no matter how I play.

I have no doubt Perkins is capable of dominating a match sim against certain players and in certain circumstances, but it's been proven this year his value is low to the team, and yet week in week out he is there. Maybe I'm missing something, as I don't pretend to have deep knowledge of footy, but surely dominating against real players who want to win should mean more then match sim.

I mean what's Cox doing so well at match sim that has us keep him and his 10 possessions in the team? (Not having a crack at Cox her, genuinely wondering?- and at least there is sense in giving Cox games over Heppell based on age alone)
No it is not but it is where you should be able to perform the basics of the game plan . Everyone should know waht is trying to be achieved so you are playing in a role that you should be getting right. It is not about dominating the match sim. it is about consistency at performing the role.
When you want to build a system the weight of players applying the basics to the system generally outweighs output on match day. It changes as the whole side gets better at it but you do start of with players who are the best at attempting to play the plan first.
Heppell gets a game as his level of leadership is still above most. It is not ideal and is a very fine line verses output but that is how you start. The players who will attempt to do what the coach wants play and then you work in players with better ability who can also stick to the plan as much as possible.
Dominating in real games is a step further down the road.
The issue is 99% of people do not know all the variables so it just come down to opinion based on maybe 40% of the facts.

Tall wingman didn't work due to weather. Looked better when jones got more fwd after wright was subbed. - coaching but also Cox was weak in the contest. I like the long term flexibility of this but we need to adapt to conditions quicker. Not against dropping Cox for setterfield to say those efforts are unacceptable. Jones, durrsma, Martin, kelly as wing rotation.

Half back absorption game didnt work. Due to weather and dees have a superior defensive system. - coaching but also a message needs to be sent to ridley, kelly, heppel. 1 of kelly or heppel must be dropped. Fell into old bah habits. Who cares about high possession counts. Base performance on metres gained, tackles and pressure acts. Roberts or hind has to come in.

Fwd line/perkins Wright didn't work.

Be interesting this weak as trying to play perkins into form/confidence is not working. Perkins just needs to gain confidence in the 2s. It's unfair at the moment as he is a shell of his potential.

I still overall am confident of what we are building but frustrating when we fall into old bad habits.

At least we are in the 8 and have a healthy list and plenty of options to address them.

No it is not but it is where you should be able to perform the basics of the game plan . Everyone should know waht is trying to be achieved so you are playing in a role that you should be getting right. It is not about dominating the match sim. it is about consistency at performing the role.
When you want to build a system the weight of players applying the basics to the system generally outweighs output on match day. It changes as the whole side gets better at it but you do start of with players who are the best at attempting to play the plan first.
Heppell gets a game as his level of leadership is still above most. It is not ideal and is a very fine line verses output but that is how you start. The players who will attempt to do what the coach wants play and then you work in players with better ability who can also stick to the plan as much as possible.
Dominating in real games is a step further down the road.
The issue is 99% of people do not know all the variables so it just come down to opinion based on maybe 40% of the facts.

Heppel and Kelly are interesting as agree they provide great leadership but it think heppel has lost the ability to defend, leadership vs liability.

Can we move him back to wing or hf anywhere else to hide him more. Sub?
Unfortunately doesn't have the skills of hodge, pendles, zorko to hide on a hbf.

Perkins can’t keep getting picked if he’s having 10 touches and missing very gettable chances.

Really could’ve done with a big body like Setters tonight as well
Yeah, I suggested dropping Perkins for Setters.

I jumped up and yelled "Archie" when he took that mark straight in front. Then after the brief optimism I knew he was going to miss it. His confidence is shot.

****in basically straight infront too. disappointed as hell

Such a costly moment in the context of the game
As much as we want to blame umpires decision x, y, z, we can only blame ourselves for the loss last night.

Another week of easy goals missed that would have extended our lead but didn't due to inaccuracy or capitalisation on territory dominances. Counted three times we had repeat inside 50's but couldn't finish only to springboard back up the other end and Melbourne kicked a goal from the resultant I50.

Infuriates me how crap our forward line is. Wright has been a non-factor for weeks now. Stringer is the magician who turns up every third week. Langford plays 1.5 quarters a game and his stats say he is doing enough but isn't (imho) and the small forwards are downright shit.

This is the biggest problem for me right now and we cannot capitalise

As much as we want to blame umpires decision x, y, z, we can only blame ourselves for the loss last night.

Another week of easy goals missed that would have extended our lead but didn't due to inaccuracy or capitalisation on territory dominances. Counted three times we had repeat inside 50's but couldn't finish only to springboard back up the other end and Melbourne kicked a goal from the resultant I50.

Infuriates me how crap our forward line is. Wright has been a non-factor for weeks now. Stringer is the magician who turns up every third week. Langford plays 1.5 quarters a game and his stats say he is doing enough but isn't (imho) and the small forwards are downright shit.

This is the biggest problem for me right now and we cannot capitalise
langford was the biggest disappointment last night. looked like he was trying to play dry weather football. clumsy, bad kicking. all of it for 3 quarters.

Such a costly moment in the context of the game
feel like it's the second week in a row he's missed a gettable, important goal from a near identical spot on the ground. frustrating. he can't be picked next week.

people were fuming last year over wedieman (or however you spell it lol) getting game after game when he was doing effectively nothing. perkin's is doing just slightly better than him in my eye.

slightly

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy RND 18: Loss Against The Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Back