Autopsy Round 1, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Gibney needs to just go get the footy as fast as possible. Forget the marking the man.
Big! Strong! Get football! Ugh!
Can’t people see the trend?
Get your biggest and best up around the ball.OA is wasted at FF. Get him up midfield and go small forward.Petrol looked good, Brockman looked composed , Cripps works his arse off.Long was off the pace but has the goods.Ryan is coming!
We kicked long and high and wondered why we tended to be overawed by Rata and Alia.
Geez Duggan you have rushed mongrel disposal.

OA is wasted at FF. Get him up midfield
Darling: passes torch

So It Begins Helms Deep GIF

I’m very uninspired by Ginbey. I’m yet to see anything of elite potential except for him looking a thousand bucks. You could argue he’s not being used properly, but you look at his draft class and the ones who will be elite all just have already established themselves to be exceptional in a particular area of their game. I really hope I’m wrong….

I think everyone has covered the negatives and Positives very well. I'd personally be bringing in Hall, JJ, Dewar and Maric at the expense of gaff, darling, ledwards and witherden. Chesser straight to the wing and ginbey to the back flank I think Hall is a better fit between midfield/bench. Brockman as the Sub the rest is self explanatory. I'm looking forward to culley returning so I can throw out petrol too, he was OK today but I feel he made a lot of mistakes earlier and his goals tend to be a joe the goose. Simmo needs to make a statement asap and drop senior players after today's effort.

Round2
Hough Barass Jones
Duggan Mcgov Ginbey
Hunt. Kelly. Chesser
Petrol. Waterm Cripps
Long. Allen. Maric
Williams Yeo Reid

Hall Jamo Dewar Cole (Brockman)

Darling Ledwards Witherden

I think everyone has covered the negatives and Positives very well. I'd personally be bringing in Hall, JJ, Dewar and Maric at the expense of gaff, darling, ledwards and witherden. Chesser straight to the wing and ginbey to the back flank I think Hall is a better fit between midfield/bench. Brockman as the Sub the rest is self explanatory. I'm looking forward to culley returning so I can throw out petrol too, he was OK today but I feel he made a lot of mistakes earlier and his goals tend to be a joe the goose. Simmo needs to make a statement asap and drop senior players after today's effort.

Round2
Hough Barass Jones
Duggan Mcgov Ginbey
Hunt. Kelly. Chesser
Petrol. Waterm Cripps
Long. Allen. Maric
Williams Yeo Reid

Hall Jamo Dewar Cole (Brockman)

Darling Ledwards Witherden
I’m with you. Edwards out! Witherden out, Gaff out,

Thing thing which really boiled my pisstm the most was Ports total dominance in the air.

13-5 contested marks :toilet:

We didn't even look remotely like marking the footy In a pack, at either end. Alir and Zerg Thatcher flogged Darling and Allen. Dixon borderline humiliated Barrass and should've had 7 goals.

Gov took 1 very good contested grab in front of Finlayson from memory then proceeded to sand wedge chip kick it for a turnover goal 15 seconds later.

Hunt doing the same run to the right and kick long down the line 20 times amounted to **** all because no clown was ever on the same page with him and if it went to a contest in the air we'd lose or be lucky to even halve it.

Wouldn't mind knowing how many intercept grabs we had compared to them, reckon it'd be damning.

My season positive so far is that Jaminson is showing signs he can play football. Much more solid player down back that him dangling in the ruck. Was thinking Eagles should consider dropping him at end of lst season but have been pleasantly surprised this year. Unsure if he’ll make it long term, but at worst could become a solid depth player.

I’m very uninspired by Ginbey. I’m yet to see anything of elite potential except for him looking a thousand bucks. You could argue he’s not being used properly, but you look at his draft class and the ones who will be elite all just have already established themselves to be exceptional in a particular area of their game. I really hope I’m wrong….

It's the quintessential Eagles HBF with midfield potential draft pick. If we can develop him - and let's be honest, there's no better opportunity to try things - he might repay us as a bonafide mid. But I think there's a fair likelihood his career follows that of Shepp. Moved around trying to find the perfect fit before settling into a position behind the footy.

He understands footy, he has a ridiculous athletic profile, and he has incredible work ethic. He may not end up a mid but he's almost guaranteed to make it in some capacity at the top level.

Yeah not a huge fan of Duggan having that many cbd’s and even midfield minutes. Need to pump as many games in the midfield to Ginbey there as it’s still very early days for him.

Nice first up game from Yeo in the middle but would like to see more from him there as well as Tk. Can’t afford to have too many games from our two main prime movers with 20 or less touches each in there.

Lucky to have nabbed Hewett because it is a shockingly bad decision to have picked him.

Has no instincts whatsoever on how to football

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There were lots of obvious negatives that have already been discussed. That was one that hadn't been.

If you think that a coach running on to the ground to backslap and share a laugh with a player on the other side after a performance as bad as that is normal and happens all the time and it is totally fine then go ahead and make the argument. But since you have deliberately chosen not to defend it and decided to play the man and not the ball instead i will take that as an admission that you can't put together a coherent argument defending it.
That was a good point and a astute observation ,I also thought it was a little surprising and even Willie seemed a bit awkward to be approached by his former coach immediately after the game ..

Coming in hot after just watching the game .

Sub 10 goal loss
A couple of periods of dominance
Some really clean and dangerous looking transition chains
Harley looking comfortable at the level
By gawd! Bailey Williams just killed a man
Cal Jamieson surprisingly effective down back and around the ball

Reuben looking out of his depth
TK looking disinterested most of the time
Sweet baby Jesus. Cole, Duggan and Witherden are lukewarm garbage

A pretty decent performance all things considered. Toward the better side of how I thought it might play out. A long row to hoe but a lot of positives to take away I think.

If we can keep building positively, let's go!

Superstar Kelly 16 touches.

Ginbey had a whole 12 touches.

Schlong just the 10, no score.

Allen and Brockman 9, no score

Darling 4, Gaff 4, Barrass 4

Some pretty average games from some decent players unfortunately.

I wonder if Simpsons game plan involves less disposals and just going for meterage or something? Felt like there was less dicking around the backline with small kicks at least.

Have a look at Chesser’s metres gained for 38% game time. This kid could turn out an actual gun now he’s turned a corner. Get him back in the 22 asap

View attachment 1931267
He played well but don't forget that he came on with fresh legs halfway through the third. All the other players were cramping in the 4th, so he had a huge advantage

One of my favourite moments today was Ginbey taking on a tackle, keeping hands free to release a handball to the outside runner. Drew opposition players to him and set up a goal. Not many blokes in the squad can do this, and we need more of this. Looking forward to Rueben showing the doubters wrong more frequently.

One of my favourite moments today was Ginbey taking on a tackle, keeping hands free to release a handball to the outside runner. Drew opposition players to him and set up a goal. Not many blokes in the squad can do this, and we need more of this. Looking forward to Rueben showing the doubters wrong more frequently.
Yep, it's first game and early days to be jumping on players too hard. (except for one ol shuffler)
Let a few games pan out before the maniacal melts...let them settle into a new game plan.

He played well but don't forget that he came on with fresh legs halfway through the third. All the other players were cramping in the 4th, so he had a huge advantage
True however confidence appears to have kicked in now and he's starting to show some ability at the level

mmm
Yeah not a huge fan of Duggan having that many cbd’s and even midfield minutes. Need to pump as many games in the midfield to Ginbey there as it’s still very early days for him.

Nice first up game from Yeo in the middle but would like to see more from him there as well as Tk. Can’t afford to have too many games from our two main prime movers with 20 or less touches each in there.
I would be keen to see Yeo go back to the HBF role and give us some decent drive he looked impressive last year in that role last year in a few games ..

Duggan seemed to be getting the ball but trying too hard and rushing his kicking and decision making , he looked more composed after half time and hit a few targets and kicked a nice goal ,I would persist with his midfield role ..

We will long regret not nudging Tom Barrass out the door when we had the chance.

He was poor last year which was masked by the fact that the defence was hammered but his continual confusion that he needs to zone off his man like he’s Prime Gov costs us goals regularly.

Needs to extract a digit and fast.

We will long regret not nudging Tom Barrass out the door when we had the chance.

He was poor last year which was masked by the fact that the defence was hammered but his continual confusion that he needs to zone off his man like he’s Prime Gov costs us goals regularly.

Needs to extract a digit and fast.
I'm worried it's more related to his injuries. I'd never question his desire but he was a real weak spot today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 1, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back