Round 1 Trades

Remove this Banner Ad

The only reason for a round 1 trade is if you think someone is going to go big all year. I seem to recall Barlow being very cheap at some point. Question is, having not seen the game does Adam Kennedy look like he is a stayer? Or just a round 1 rookie being ignored and collecting cheap touches? Thanks for any advice from people who saw the game

no not at all.

Last years winners did the craziest trades yet he still won.

I am not really making a point other than there isn't one way of winning this game.

To win you either need to do crazy trades, or have a unique starting squad.

Otherwise you will just be left in the pack.

The week I traded Boyd, I brought in Scott Thompson who got above 140, and I went from ranked 12,000 in the comp to inside the top 1,000. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

The week I traded Boyd, I brought in Scott Thompson who got above 140, and I went from ranked 12,000 in the comp to inside the top 1,000. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

It was a great move for 1 week, trading in Thompson for Boyd who scored 141 for Rd 4 (Boyd's bye) BUT Boyd scored 162 in Rd 5 to Thompson's 86, as well as outscoring him for the rest of the year. You probably would have won even if you didn't make that trade, maybe by more with the extra trade in hand...

Is this Jetta Vendetta? is your name Marcus just seeing which jetta vendetta you are?

I agree with that comment, some trades dont need to be crazy as such, but they need to involve an element of risk and difference at time, otherwise you are playing for second and not first unless you have the best starting team in the country.

I have gone out on a limb with my starting team so i can hopefully individualize myself from the rest of the group. Also because im not taking it seriously all the way to the end unless im a real chance.

It was a great move for 1 week, trading in Thompson for Boyd who scored 141 for Rd 4 (Boyd's bye) BUT Boyd scored 162 in Rd 5 to Thompson's 86, as well as outscoring him for the rest of the year. You probably would have won even if you didn't make that trade, maybe by more with the extra trade in hand...

Keep in mind round 4 was a multi bye with Brisbane, Western Bulldogs and Saints all with the bye.

I would have been already missing Rockliff, Bewick? and Liba.

So effectively I would have had to play someone like Prestia (38) instead of Thompsons 141 had I not traded.

Edit- Yeah actually looking back you are probably right. But it was unique moves like this later in the year that really lifted me up the rankings.

Keep in mind round 4 was a multi bye with Brisbane, Western Bulldogs and Saints all with the bye.

I would have been already missing Rockliff, Bewick? and Liba.

So effectively I would have had to play someone like Prestia (38) instead of Thompsons 141 had I not traded.

So you would have lost 103 points if you played in Prestia instead of trading out Boyd for ST in Rd 4, but would have gained 76 points in Rd 5 had you not made the trade. Essentially would have scored 27 points less by the end of Rd5.

Looking at Boyd's scores from Rd 5-10 he scored 721 points.
While the player/s you traded him out for Thompson rounds 5-7>Selwood rds 8-10 scored 609 points. Difference of 112 points in favour of Boyd.

You then traded Boyd back in. So esentially you would have been 85 points & 3 trades better off if you had taken Prestia's score in Rd 4 and not traded Boyd out for Rd's 4-10.

You made some winning moves, but trading out Boyd for 6 weeks was not one of them, just sayin'

So you would have lost 103 points if you played in Prestia instead of trading out Boyd for ST in Rd 4, but would have gained 76 points in Rd 5 had you not made the trade. Essentially would have scored 27 points less by the end of Rd5.

Looking at Boyd's scores from Rd 5-10 he scored 721 points.
While the player/s you traded him out for Thompson rounds 5-7>Selwood rds 8-10 scored 609 points. Difference of 112 points in favour of Boyd.

You then traded Boyd back in. So esentially you would have been 85 points & 2 trades better off if you had taken Prestia's score in Rd 4 and not traded Boyd out for Rd's 4-10.

You made some winning moves, but trading out Boyd for 6 weeks was not one of them, just sayin'

Did you add Thompsons 141 in round 4 into your calculations?

I have gone out on a limb with my starting team so i can hopefully individualize myself from the rest of the group. Also because im not taking it seriously all the way to the end unless im a real chance.

Why do you keep repeating this? You're just giving yourself an excuse to fall back on if you fail. Plenty of people travel and still manage to rank well.

Also I've seen your team, you're not going out on that much of a limb.

i've got these in my midfield:

Ablett
Pendlebury
Kennedy,A
Bartel
Magner
Swan,D
Hayes
Shiel

round 1 score was 2091. would you drop dane swan for brent stanton?

Did you add Thompsons 141 in round 4 into your calculations?

No, I used Prestia's Rd 4 score of 38 to show that he was worse of for taking Thompson's Rd 4 score of 141.

The scenario is that he would have been 85 points and 3 trades better of if he had used Prestia's Rd 4 score and not traded Boyd > Thompson > Selwood. Then traded Boyd back in for Rd11. With 85 points extra and 3 more trades up his sleeve he could have won by even more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only reason for a round 1 trade is if you think someone is going to go big all year. I seem to recall Barlow being very cheap at some point. Question is, having not seen the game does Adam Kennedy look like he is a stayer? Or just a round 1 rookie being ignored and collecting cheap touches? Thanks for any advice from people who saw the game

I saw the game and I didnt see kenedy the whole game. This may have been because I wasn't watching for him because he wasn't in my team.

I saw the game and I didnt see kenedy the whole game. This may have been because I wasn't watching for him because he wasn't in my team.

lol also don't have him and it seemed like he was everywhere to me...every possession stung a little more than the last. :) Tho I was watching purely from a DT interest.

From memory seemed to get a heap of points from alot of cheap possies across the backline. Lots of +6 mark/kicks from chipping around. Wasn't massively damaging or anything (as MarkRobbo said didnt really notice him all that much) so if named down back again, can't see any reason why he won't be a very good scorer again.

60+ and he's my first trade after this round.

Why do you keep repeating this? You're just giving yourself an excuse to fall back on if you fail. Plenty of people travel and still manage to rank well.

Also I've seen your team, you're not going out on that much of a limb.

I think it would be hard to find many teams without all

Cox, BJ, Pendles, Swan, Martin

excuse, i see it as reason. If i was in perth i watch every game i can on tv and know exactly whose performing and what not. Also with it being of the byes time, i wont know what day it is i think London is two days ahead or two days behind i really dont know. I can see myself getting caught out quite a bit.

Im not going away on a holiday where im just lazing back looking at the sun either. I wont know what happening for 75% of the time. So its going to be tough enough to know what day it is without being in that state.

Im really just gonna play the first 10 rounds than reevaluate from there.

Might get you juddy to look after my team while i am gone. ;)

so is anyone calculating the bye rounds when looking at trading up to premiums rather than just selecting people who scored great in round 1.

^This Bye Rounds are very important so any trades from now until then must fit 2 criterion for me.

1) Score me more points.
2)Fit the bye round structure I want for my team.

Being heavy on round 11 rookies, I'll be looking to fix this with my upgrade/downgrades.

I have McDonald & Parker in my midfield and could be copping a zero if Magner dosen't get up this week. I am going for the overall win, so i probably will have to trade.

I can only really afford Mccarthy for Parker in a sideways trade, so i'm considering that option. Should I do that, or maybe even downgrade Parker for C Smith?

Really appreciate any feedback for this as it's doing my head in.

excuse, i see it as reason. If i was in perth i watch every game i can on tv and know exactly whose performing and what not. Also with it being of the byes time, i wont know what day it is i think London is two days ahead or two days behind i really dont know. I can see myself getting caught out quite a bit.

Im not going away on a holiday where im just lazing back looking at the sun either. I wont know what happening for 75% of the time. So its going to be tough enough to know what day it is without being in that state.

London is only 7 hours behind Perth.

Yeah I've got nothing against you so I'm not having a go, just riling you up. ;)

Also it is extremely difficult to keep track of your side, but sometimes that can be a good thing. Log in on a Thurs or Fri morning over there, see teams, make trades and be done with it. Just go with your gut. I was in the same position last year, went to Europe/UK/Dubai for 6 weeks, still managed to do well and actually improved my ranking somehow, finished 109.

Although I did happen to trade Heath Shaw in on the Thursday only to see him suspended the next day. Bloody Venice and it's lack of internet, cost me a top 100!

I have McDonald & Parker in my midfield and could be copping a zero if Magner dosen't get up this week. I am going for the overall win, so i probably will have to trade.

I can only really afford Mccarthy for Parker in a sideways trade, so i'm considering that option. Should I do that, or maybe even downgrade Parker for C Smith?

Really appreciate any feedback for this as it's doing my head in.

Parker > C Smith if I were you. Then use the cash next week to upgrade a midpricer to a premuim. :thumbsu:

I currently don't have any of those players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 1 Trades

Remove this Banner Ad

Back