Round 10 - Essendon v Geelong @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon need to drop Cooney, Gwilt, Howlett and Melksham. Play the kids, see who can cut it.

Richmond tried the old trash top up rubbish...then finally they played the kids and look how good they are playing!

Yeah something has happened cant remember the last time we were that bad.

You resigned a coach without an ounce of a proven record. Hird should have been forced to be an assistant for 2-3 seasons

Refreshing to hear from a level-headed Essendon supporter that isn't baying for blood from either the WADA or Hird camp. I agree that the sudden line from commentators that this is WADA's fault is a pathetic cop-out. You've rightly put up with years of ASADA without capitulating like tonight.
WADA doesn't have me worried. I'd be surprised if they follow through with the appeal. And if they do, if anything comes of it.

What is wrong with the playing group though. It's puzzling. I genuinely think we can be a top 4-6 team with this list. But based on effort, we're bottom 4.
Its hard to speculate not being in the inner sanctum of the club. but something is certainly up.
Quite possibly, we have gone from Hird, Bomber, McCartney & Goodwin to Hird, Neeld, Harvey and Craig. We may have the cattle on the park but not in the coaching box.

Only certain thing is we are not playing with any intensity. No pressure on the ball around stoppages. No hard chasing. No impact on opposition ball carrier.
Without our defence, we'd have more games like tonight. They withstood as best they could tonight.

Best part of tonight was that after all the ASADA/WADA drug scandal all it took was Essendon not kicking a goal for a half for the #StandByHird brigade to turn and start booing the team.

WADA doesn't have me worried. I'd be surprised if they follow through with the appeal. And if they do, if anything comes of it.

What is wrong with the playing group though. It's puzzling. I genuinely think we can be a top 4-6 team with this list. But based on effort, we're bottom 4.
Its hard to speculate not being in the inner sanctum of the club. but something is certainly up.
Quite possibly, we have gone from Hird, Bomber, McCartney & Goodwin to Hird, Neeld, Harvey and Craig. We may have the cattle on the park but not in the coaching box.

Only certain thing is we are not playing with any intensity. No pressure on the ball around stoppages. No hard chasing. No impact on opposition ball carrier.
Without our defence, we'd have more games like tonight. They withstood as best they could tonight.
You're in denial. Essendons forward line is horrific, their midfield is bottom 4 and the defense has a couple of guns but overall is average.

Yeah something has happened cant remember the last time we were that bad.
2010. Anzac Day. It was pathetic. probably more pathetic actually, though the pies were a premiership outfit that year.
Carlton got a hold of us 3 times in 2011.
Injury run at the end of 2012? We were pretty much without a side then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're in denial. Essendons forward line is horrific, their midfield is bottom 4 and the defense has a couple of guns but overall is average.
Backline - Hurley, Hooker, Hibberd, Baguley.
Midfield - Watson, Heppell, Zaka, Myers, Goddard, Merrett.
Forward - Daniher, Carlisle, Colyer

I would say it's above average on talent, but so far down on effort that it matters little. Talent = nothing when the effort isn't there.
Our best footy is pretty good. At the moment, we are very far from that.

Wot.jpeg

This. Midfield is horrendous for starters. I keep seeing hacks like Melksham, Howlett, Dempsey in and around the midfield. They are all horrific and abysmal. Trade them all, get whatever you can. Forward line has potential but they need a small forward and a CHF, the other parts are there. Backbone is fine though. Need a ruck man badly.

I would say it's above average on talent, but so far down on effort that it matters little. Talent = nothing when the effort isn't there.

That's only 13 players. Myers and Goddard are solid, nothing more. Carlisle isn't much of a CHF. Your backline is good but your midfield lacks weapons.

Carlisle had his best game for the season after halftime...want to remind me where he played? Oh thats right...down back and in the ruck. Not a forward, never a natural forward.

116570.jpg

You think chappy joined bombers to play finals lol? He went there for retirement and got a big pay cheque.
But he still is an employee of the Essendon footy club. I think it's a poor look for any player to be doing that after such a bad defeat. Get off the ground with your head down, and at least pretend you care!

Sylvia and Watts did the same thing once or twice for us in the past and I hated it.

Baguley and Hibberd are ordinary players. Watson and Goddard getting old. Heppell is so overrated. Zaharakis is inconsistent. Merrett is improving but young. Myers always injured. Forward line is horrific

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 10 - Essendon v Geelong @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back