Autopsy Round 12 - Positives & Negatives vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

• Hurn’s been rusty since coming back, but it’s getting into “is this rust or is this the decline” territory. A bit worrying.

It probably wasn't vintage AA Hurn but 3 weeks back after a fairly long layoff and he puts up 27 possessions, 9 marks, 80%+ efficiency for 550m.
Pretty good rust. That kick out clanger was a beauty but.

Some magnificent arguments for retaining Williams over Vardy this week. However, when Vardy starts going all get-out-the-way-its-mine, he is the better ruck option.
Unfortunately you are right at this stage . But is the difference really worth it . Dropping Williams for vardy seems a very sideways swap to the detriment of Williams development.

It probably wasn't vintage AA Hurn but 3 weeks back after a fairly long layoff and he puts up 27 possessions, 9 marks, 80%+ efficiency for 550m.
Pretty good rust. That kick out clanger was a beauty but.
As the commentators said it was like he didn't even see the Carlton player.
Navy blue all over in the shadows with hurn looking into the sun

Beat a 14th placed team away.
Won at SCG first time in 22yrs(?) because we didn't play Sydney and played a 14th placed team.
Ryan should do less interviews. Great to watch him play, not to listen to...
The usual bunch of inefficient disposals or poor decision making (bombing it to no-one for a turnover)
Another injury out - Shep.... Ryan might pull up sore?
JK+Oscar back next week?
Yeo - great to see his grunt-work back around the packs.
Got 4 points, keeps us in touch, maybe?

Last edited:
4 goals from 4 mids was good to see too. Simmo has now broken 2 long serving hoodoos v pies at the G and winning at the SCG. Will give the club confidence when we play the Swans there now.
Was just about to mention the goals from mids thing. Makes us much more difficult to beat when we aren’t so reliant on JK.

I could not understand why WC didn’t make a play at Paddy Ryder when he was looking for a club a couple of years ago. In tandem with Nic Nat we would have been real contenders imo

Was just about to mention the goals from mids thing. Makes us much more difficult to beat when we aren’t so reliant on JK.

Would be interested in the thoughts of our resident nerds (Dylan82 et al) on this point. It was almost like we became a little more dynamic because we were less perfect going inside 50. Yeo and a couple of the young kids were prone to bombing it in blindly from time to time. I know the orthodoxy here would be to avoid bombing it in, but it seemed as if the rub of imperfection on those entries made it all a little less predictable when we did go in on our preferred terms, and opened the door for those mid goals. Ryan out of the square also seemed to discombobulate the Carlton backs. Thoughts?

Would be interested in the thoughts of our resident nerds (Dylan82 et al) on this point. It was almost like we became a little more dynamic because we were less perfect going inside 50. Yeo and a couple of the young kids were prone to bombing it in blindly from time to time. I know the orthodoxy here would be to avoid bombing it in, but it seemed as if the rub of imperfection on those entries made it all a little less predictable when we did go in on our preferred terms, and opened the door for those mid goals. Ryan out of the square also seemed to discombobulate the Carlton backs. Thoughts?
Chaos ball is underrated. Good teams should back themselves to win contests.

For a dose of reality we were missing half our best 22, lost our best defender before quarter time, were rank underdogs, and knocked over a team at a ground we haven't won at since 1999.

Re-watch the 1st half , straight kicking is the key Carlton had more scoring shots and IS50 and I would suggest they didn`t handle playing at the SCG more than us ..
I don`t rate Shep this year he`s fallen down big time for me ,he`s surviving on reputation ..Shep has been loose and too unaccountable in 2021 ..

As the commentators said it was like he didn't even see the Carlton player.
Navy blue all over in the shadows with hurn looking into the sun
Possibly.
This reminds me- one of my big negatives from this game was trying to view it. Im not sure if it was the Royal blue strip or the camera positions or the SCG during the day but I found the game very difficult to watch and work out who was who, especially the first half. was a shitful viewing experience.

Yeah look I'm glad we got the win, particularly when it looked like it might follow the typical pea hearted 4 quarter script. Thankfully we showed resilience.

We SHOULD have been behind if Carlton could kick straight. They had plenty of chances to take the game from us and make us wet our pants away from home again, but thankfully turned out to be just as grossly incompetent as their 14th placed ladder position suggests. Even more so with their best player off early.

Wins a win but I hope no cracks get papered over with this club. We've still had a disappointing year in the scheme of things and every game is vital.

7-5 with the reigning kents to come.

FINALLY get them at optus again, first time since 2018, and it's with our makeshift inconsistent team.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re-watch the 1st half , straight kicking is the key Carlton had more scoring shots and IS50 and I would suggest they didn`t handle playing at the SCG more than us ..
I don`t rate Shep this year he`s fallen down big time for me ,he`s surviving on reputation ..Shep has been loose and too unaccountable in 2021 ..
From the gaff interview post game shep has been carrying injuries. Probably not bad he gets a good 20 days off

He shouldn't be dropped for it, but that passage of play where Bailey Williams elected to keep the ball in bounds to nobody, rather then set us up for a stoppage deep in our forward pocket, was immensely stupid.

it also created a goal at the other end

i'm sure my neighbours heard me when he done it

Yeo has so much penetration on his bomb kicks that I actually don't mind him doing it, especially on a ground as small as the SCG. It still got the ball to dangerous spots. Gaff with those same kicks around the corner land 15m short and don't clear the defender playing loose in front of our man to intercept.

Dylan made an interesting point earlier that with JK out some leading lanes were open for our mids to work into. I suspect with JK out there, the other guys are instructed to get the f out of the way

Possibly.
This reminds me- one of my big negatives from this game was trying to view it. Im not sure if it was the Royal blue strip or the camera positions or the SCG during the day but I found the game very difficult to watch and work out who was who, especially the first half. was a shitful viewing experience.
as the sun dropped the western half was in shade and the eastern in the sun. I think Hurn was kicking into the sun, with the sun directly in his eyes, to a player in the dark shade. Tricky. It obviously impacted a few marking contests as well.

Was only half watching with no sound at the pub yesterday and watching the replay now.

What was up with the crowd? What purpose does closing one half of the stadium serve? Seems pretty counter productive if it’s a reduced capacity Covid restriction.

less staff = less cost

Was only half watching with no sound at the pub yesterday and watching the replay now.

What was up with the crowd? What purpose does closing one half of the stadium serve? Seems pretty counter productive if it’s a reduced capacity Covid restriction.
If they open a stand there’s costs involved from concessions needing to be open, cleaning, toilets, staff etc. when you know you’re getting bugger all people attend better of just putting them all in one stand

NSW are at 100%, it would've just been saving $$$ because of a small crowd.

Awesome to get the away win with so many youngsters. Really impressive. Did not expect it.

Only negative is Shep and possible injuries.

Sure Williams didn't play his best but we need to get games into him now anyway.

Edwards looks great. Foley was waaaayyy better than I thought he was capable of.

Redden Gaff and Sheed stood tall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 12 - Positives & Negatives vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back