Round 14 changes Vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

This is my take on the game against Carlton and some key match ups.

Hurn v Carrazzo - Carrazzo should take honors here but with Hurn's recent form I can see him making this a great battle, Hurn only need 15 kick to have a big impact, his quality and pure distance on his kicks are better than anyone else in our team.

Kennedy v Jamison - Jamison is easily the best fullback this year and has improved with his rebound work as much as anything, haven't seen him been beaten yet. Kennedy is currently 3rd in the Coleman medal and is in great form, his contestant marking wasn't good on the weekend but he still made a contact, if he can hold these marks like normal I can see him beating Jamison. He is also one of the best players at chasing and putting pressure on until the ball is 100 meters away which will keep Jamison on watch when trying to create run.

Lynch v Thornton - Don't know much about Thornton of recent but I can see Lynch being a critical player in this game, if he can get up the ground and bomb in a few 60 metre plus kicks into our 50 with Kennedy 1v1 with Jamison it could work.

Nicoski v ? - After being critical last week about him not knowing how to be a real crumber he shut me up on the weekend, got in front of the packs and if he learnt how to kick would of snagged a few goals.

Scooter v Judd/Murphy - We really need him to step up this game and stop one of their midfielders, I think A. Selwood will go to the other.

Kerr/Priddis v Robinson - I think Robinson will run with either of these players while making them accountable, we should easily take honors here but Robinson might not run with anyone if Ratten believes he is good enough offensively.

McGinnity should go on Betts and be a lot more physical as he would be giving up speed, he should be able to beat Betts as McGinnity has been playing good this season.

Glass v Henderson - Glass easily and will allow us to focus on other players knowing Glass should easily account for him.

Schofield v Waite - Can see us losing this one, Schofield does horrible turnovers way to often and Waite will make him pay if he plays to loose, however Schofield has the ability to beat him.

Smith v Garlett - Smith would be just as fast as him I believe and also be a lot bigger, Garlett is a quality small forward and if he only gets 2 goals it is a win for us I believe.

Can see Butler being the free man if Hurn is tagged, also someone should go to Scotland, he is a massive part to their side. Always uses the ball well and is just as important as Gibbs to their team. Someone will probaly go to Embley but he should just zone of them easily, I think his form isn't near as good as it was at the start of the season but has been all class this season and is critical to our success. Shuey was tagged yesterday for a bit or most the game IIRC. I can't see him being tagged and if he isn't he should be a crucial player to us. Naita will look to run with Kruezer around the ground to make sure he doesn't hurt us like he did last week to Sydney. Cox will play forward more this week and is looking like a good marking target of late.

Darling will go out, I don't think he should but he will and Ebert should replace him on the ground. One of Gaff, Masten or Stevens will come in. I'm not sure who just yet but I think it should be either Gaff or Stevens as Masten only got dropped last week and hasn't had a chance to change the selectors minds. It will be interesting as to who will be picked, either if in will be the sub.

Stevens I believe should go in and that is because I believe Lecras will move up to the middle and will inject the class that Gaff would have. Shuey needs to play more game time, just play him as a pocket if he needs a rest.

Stevens shouldn't be the sub and should be given a chance to play a minimum 3 quarters ala Barlow last week. Can't see who will be the sub instead but imagine if Stevens is in he would be the sub.

One last point is, Rosa - Really hitting his straps this year and if he can run free and be aloud space it will go a long way to us winning.

After all that. In - Stevens, Gaff to be travelling emg.
Out - Darling

Someone minding Yarran is going to be important. He provides a lot of drive off half back and needs to be made accountable in order to curb his influence.

Would love to see Stevens come in to take that role.

Someone minding Yarran is going to be important. He provides a lot of drive off half back and needs to be made accountable in order to curb his influence.

Yarran is the one I forgot, he looks as if he could do the same as Davis when we played Collingwood. I don't know to much about Stevens but from everything I have heard, he doesn't seem the tagger type or a goal kicking mid ? I may be wrong but I would like Nicoski to be used here as long as it's not a hard tag and he is able to play offensive to make Yarran accountable

Darling wont be rested with the bye next week, he will go all out and then have a week off. No changes is still looking the best option.

Schofield wont be dropped on a few stuff ups considering his run of games before.

Nicoski would be perfect. Has the defensive skills and the pace to at least keep up. He should be able to tag Yarran out of the game.

Not sure if I agree with all those matchups.

For me, in order of importance to Carltons current run of form and structure

Schofield v Walker, Walker makes a massive difference to them as he gives them that lead up/contest guy to either take the mark or get the ball front and centre for Betts and Gartlett. I think Schofield has the pace to go with him and we have to give him first crack at this job.

Scootor v Murphy, for me Murphy is probably the major indicator for their performance. Give Scooter the first go, must keep Murphy from getting cheap link up possies as they use him to get out of trouble.

McGinnity v Yarren, perfect fwd tag opportunity for Magoo (yeah my new nickname for him!!) to shut down Yarren.

And the 4th most important player for them, yes 4th is Judd v Kerr. If Kerr can escape a tag I would love these two to go head to head as I think Kerr has been the form clearance player of the comp recently and I would love him to towell up Judd with a dominative performance from Cox and NicNat.

Nicoski for Yarran for me.

Semi defensive forward role, needs to stop his rebound but Nicoski knows how to run and counter attack. Is a player who is has benefited greatly from our new game plana he would also outmark Yarran.

We need someone to keep and eye on Yarran but also kick goals on him.

S Selwood - Murphy

A Selwood - Judd or

Kerr goes head to head v Judd:D

Smith to Garlett

Butler to Betts

Schofield and Walker will be very interesting

Not sure if I agree with all those matchups.

For me, in order of importance to Carltons current run of form and structure

Schofield v Walker, Walker makes a massive difference to them as he gives them that lead up/contest guy to either take the mark or get the ball front and centre for Betts and Gartlett. I think Schofield has the pace to go with him and we have to give him first crack at this job.

Scootor v Murphy, for me Murphy is probably the major indicator for their performance. Give Scooter the first go, must keep Murphy from getting cheap link up possies as they use him to get out of trouble.

McGinnity v Yarren, perfect fwd tag opportunity for Magoo (yeah my new nickname for him!!) to shut down Yarren.

And the 4th most important player for them, yes 4th is Judd v Kerr. If Kerr can escape a tag I would love these two to go head to head as I think Kerr has been the form clearance player of the comp recently and I would love him to towell up Judd with a dominative performance from Cox and NicNat.

McGinnity will be needed to play on a quicker mid like Simpson. Would be perfect for Yarran but Carlton have to many mids to hold.

You guys can't tag all of our ball winners. You need to kick a winning score. Firstly Waite will not play - still a week away. You will probably tag Murphy (since it is possible) and not Judd (because he wins too much of his own ball). Walker is a tough match up for aniyone, but the one you should go after is Yarran. If you find someone who can kick goals on him you will unsettle Carlton - there are still questions about the defensive side to his game. Looking forward to a good game. Like all Carlton supporters, I really hope JK has a good one. He is nothing but gold and we still love the boy!!

You guys can't tag all of our ball winners. You need to kick a winning score. Firstly Waite will not play - still a week away. You will probably tag Murphy (since it is possible) and not Judd (because he wins too much of his own ball). Walker is a tough match up for aniyone, but the one you should go after is Yarran. If you find someone who can kick goals on him you will unsettle Carlton - there are still questions about the defensive side to his game. Looking forward to a good game. Like all Carlton supporters, I really hope JK has a good one. He is nothing but gold and we still love the boy!!

slow down ratten!
we'll have it sorted by the weekend

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No amount of changes this week is going to make any difference. As delighted as I am with our improvement we are still a couple of years away from Carltons level. A good showing is what Im looking forward to......... but Id love the eagles to prove me wrong. Go fellas!!!!!

No changes and i reckon Jack will be highly motivated to have an impact against the Blues

..is that what yer callin' mister Kennedy..?..

..i try to watch as many eagles games cos i've enjoyed tracking Kennedy's growth, top player and great person.. ..but haven't seen as much of your team this season as i normally would, i guess my query would be do you have the pace across the field to keep up..?.. ..not only are the blues moving the ball quickly with run and carry, but also with efficient kicking using our great work rate with the spread..

..i guess another question is current fitness..?.. ..you're still a young team, and the modern style of run and carry, spread, high pressure intensity coupled with zoning and press means the work rate required to carry out the gameplan has never been more demanding.. ....and with your many interstate trips, young team etc etc do you find your looking a little heavier in the legs..?.. ..either generally, or especially later in the game..?..

..i think you should have a clear advantage in the ruck.. ..Knockers should come back in top replace Hammer, but after the way hamspon has been playing lately knockers would almost fall back in 3rd ruck in line.. ..even though all 3 rucks of ours are different sorts.. ..i'd back our midfield over yours so it'll be interesting to see how the stoppages go..

..i think the pies displayed a way to pick you apart, and saw some more signs this weekend passed vs port.. ..not a true weakness, more a weakness due to you guys still being a developing side in many ways.. ..[and this kinda goes for all teams really].. ..when real intensity is applied your team's susceptible to making unforced errors/skill errors and getting burnt on the turnover.. ..i think that's the key area where the blues will have the dominance and be able to take control..

..also, some teams have tried to expose our 'short' defense by going tall, and have been getting burnt by our run off halfback instead.. ..with all the pressure upfield tall fwds aren't getting clean delivery and so once the ball hits the deck it's being swept away at a rapid rate.. ..you don't wanna be going in too tall..

I dont understand why you all say Darling looks like he needs a rest:confused: were you watching the same game as me because he was on fire with about 5 touches in the first five minutes and was one of the leading players on champion data points b4 he was subbed off for no other reason then to bring another runner on because of the rain.

..also, some teams have tried to expose our 'short' defense by going tall, and have been getting burnt by our run off halfback instead.. ..with all the pressure upfeild tall fwds aren't getting clean delivery and so once the ball hits the deck it's being swept away at a rapid rate.. ..you don't wanna be going in too tall..
thats always the problem with playing a tall forward line, the risk that they will be able to take it away easily and rebound.

but that concern is nullified by a couple of things, firstly our forwards, especially out talls, are excellent and very quick tacklers. kennedy, darling, naitanui and le cras all have amazing closing speed and great tackling abilities, AND can take overhead contested marks that will test any backline, and can all crumb a goal. dont assume just because we are tall that you will be able to run it out easily.

the other thing is the zone, by closing down space in midfield for the backs to kick too, combined with pressure on the rebounder, we have been able to force alot of contests and turnovers from the back half. only collingwood hasnt had a problem getting it out of our backline, every other team has.

so its a calculated risk, WC will play tall and try to stretch carlton with kennedy, lynch and darling, with cox and naitanui resting forward and nicoski and le cras at their feet.

No, we here have decided that Jack is a good name for Jack Darling :D

You mean Jeff Darling?

Why do people want Kerr to match up on Judd. Judd will kill him.

thats always the problem with playing a tall forward line, the risk that they will be able to take it away easily and rebound.

but that concern is nullified by a couple of things, firstly our forwards, especially out talls, are excellent and very quick tacklers. kennedy, darling, naitanui and le cras all have amazing closing speed and great tackling abilities, AND can take overhead contested marks that will test any backline, and can all crumb a goal. dont assume just because we are tall that you will be able to run it out easily.

the other thing is the zone, by closing down space in midfield for the backs to kick too, combined with pressure on the rebounder, we have been able to force alot of contests and turnovers from the back half. only collingwood hasnt had a problem getting it out of our backline, every other team has.

so its a calculated risk, WC will play tall and try to stretch carlton with kennedy, lynch and darling, with cox and naitanui resting forward and nicoski and le cras at their feet.

..this is close to what yer gonna be playing against in regards to pressure, intensity, zoning and press.. ..blues are one of the best teams at this , this season.. ..if not the best..

..your tall forwards might very well clunk some marks, much like the crows managed to against us.. ..it just wasn't enough, and we've improved quite a bit since then as well.. ..i'm not saying that we're gonna smash you, i'm just saying the usual stretching tall timber fwdline that will work vs most of the comp wont work vs the top 4 and you'll need to drop one to get more run in to the side..

..blues have stepped it up a gear these past few weeks, i'm not sure if you watched us vs swans [port/lions are struggling teams so not including them].. ..if you didn't, try to watch a replay somewhere to get a feel for how the blues are playing.. ..

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 14 changes Vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back