Autopsy Round 15, 2020: Hawks lose to the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't necessarily call it poor decision making, but more a calculated gamble that with the incoming clubs and the draft concessions given to the new clubs, we could find a less traditional way of remaining competitive post 2016. It didn't work.
Sounds like the calculated gamble ended up being a very poor decision.

Have we done a deal with the AFL to play every team into form? Happens every week, the opposition can smell blood from our group early on and we die a little more by games end. Then they celebrate like we are top of the table.

Seriously, does anyone know what’s causing this cancer within our club right now. It’s not Individuals, it something larger - has to be!
Adelaide would’ve set themselves for this weeks ago. They knew what we seem to have forgotten, the hub has sucked every ounce of energy and enthusiasm out of Hawthorn. It was evident 5 minutes in tonight that we would lose, the body language showed it. The Crows get to go home tonight, the Hawks back to a motel. A week of that would do my head in

Hawthorn is just going through the motions, it’ll be a different story if things ever go back to normal.

Adelaide would’ve set themselves for this weeks ago. They knew what we seem to have forgotten, the hub has sucked every ounce of energy and enthusiasm out of Hawthorn. It was evident 5 minutes in tonight that we would lose, the body language showed it. The Crows get to go home tonight, the Hawks back to a motel. A week of that would do my head in

Hawthorn is just going through the motions, it’ll be a different story if things ever go back to normal.

They should embrace that they're from Victoria and aren't stuck here confined to their homes for all but 1 hour a day.

imagine if we nail the next draft and had Lewis, Roughy and Buddy coming through alongside Day, Finn?, Scrimshaw and Worpel.

our luck can turn around pretty quickly if we get it right, so as shit as this season and particularly this night has been, it's important to keep perspective and stay positive — there are things to look forward to, they're just hard to see right now

Can the “What’s the point of winning” and we need to get the “Best possible draft pick” brigade refrain from moaning about losing for one week?

Or is that asking a bit too much?

Scary thing is I don't actually think we're tanking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarko & co have destroyed this list with their delusions of another premiership.

Premiership credits should be well and truly run out for everyone.

I am sure i am in the minority that think this but Clarko should be coaching for his career at Hawthorn next season.

I'm frustrated as well, but this is a bit far. Clarko and co extracted every ounce of talent from the list and available choices and rewarded us with a string of Premiers trophies, that no one has done in the modern era.

After that point, and all the supporters, members and board members agreed with the idea, was to try and go again by culling older players and trying to trade picks for quality to keep the list propped up. And hey, it could have worked, if a few things had gone differently.

But with this moneyball approach, it can also fall hard. We are fast approaching that point, where the dearth in quality is too much to bridge with mercenaries, and need to actually rebuild the list.

But I hardly think this is "destroying the list" - the list was already cooked after we squeezed it for all its worth. We rolled the dice and didn't work.

From this point though, if Clarkson fails to see the growing truth that a rebuild is needed, then yes, he and his team can be acused of doing harm to the list. But if we were to approach it again from 2015 on, I'd still try this method of trying to stay up rather than rebuilding. As many Melbourne supporters will tell you, there is no certainty in a rebuild and often, sacrificing the team's winning culture for good picks, can leave a lasting, detrimental impact on the club.

Food for thought.

Stratton knows he has three games left before he retires and gets to surf everyday after winning three flags, captaining a famous club and making millions of dollars. No one will remember his mediocre last two seasons in a few years time.

One of four retirements to be announced in the coming weeks I'm told....

I've learnt that Olly Hanrahan isn't part of the future.

If Ross or Moore aren't injured then id assume they pack their bags to.

So we are learning that these guys aren't part of the way forward at least.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I'm frustrated as well, but this is a bit far. Clarko and co extracted every ounce of talent from the list and available choices and rewarded us with a string of Premiers trophies, that no one has done in the modern era.

After that point, and all the supporters, members and board members agreed with the idea, was to try and go again by culling older players and trying to trade picks for quality to keep the list propped up. And hey, it could have worked, if a few things had gone differently.

But with this moneyball approach, it can also fall hard. We are fast approaching that point, where the dearth in quality is too much to bridge with mercenaries, and need to actually rebuild the list.

But I hardly think this is "destroying the list" - the list was already cooked after we squeezed it for all its worth. We rolled the dice and didn't work.

From this point though, if Clarkson fails to see the growing truth that a rebuild is needed, then yes, he and his team can be acused of doing harm to the list. But if we were to approach it again from 2015 on, I'd still try this method of trying to stay up rather than rebuilding. As many Melbourne supporters will tell you, there is no certainty in a rebuild and often, sacrificing the team's winning culture for good picks, can leave a lasting, detrimental impact on the club.

Food for thought.
Carlton/Melbourne agree

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 15, 2020: Hawks lose to the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Back