Autopsy Round 15, 2021: Hawks floor Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Need more of these wins to attract free agent talent to the club & hold onto players who may be looking elsewhere. Hopefully we can win at least 2-3 more games for the season.

A couple of random things…Dylan Moore reminds me of Stephen Milne. Hopefully he’s on his way to being an elite small forward/midfielder. Secondly, the current away guernseys are just ok for me. Whatever happened to the predominately brown ones with gold stripes & numbers on the back that the team was rocking a few years ago? Bring them back!

Secondly, the current away guernseys are just ok for me. Whatever happened to the predominately brown ones with gold stripes & numbers on the back that the team was rocking a few years ago? Bring them back!

Pretty sure it was a commemorative jumper to signify a year since the great John Kennedy passed

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Re Daniel Howe:
Spot on. I watched his game at Box Hill a while back and he looked so relaxed and poised (but still as tough at the contest as anyone).
Couldn't help thinking, if only ...

And he has, for several weeks now.
Contrary to what some have suggested (or what I have inferred), I don't think its a case of a player suddenly playing for his life (career) and red-lining his game, which you definitely see from some players. If anything, it looks like the opposite. He has finally relaxed at the level and is playing with a clear head - the composure that is the difference between making quick decisions and just getting rid of it. The thing you can't bottle.
Would love to hear what Daniel says about his current form.
Juts hope it continues.
Howe has never been the quickest of mind and that odd moment of hesitation in the contest has seen him get caught with ball way too often in the past.

But playing him wing allows him more time and space which eliminates this to a large degree and has actially shown him to be a reasonably good ball user.

He has always been hard as nails but the wing role is also playing to his strength of having one of the better tanks in the side. He works as hard as anyone all game.

A far cry from the inside player / tagger role many though was his limit

Where are we going to fit Sicily?

Sicily goes into the backline. Scrimshaw, Impey and Day are incredibly flexible and can be essentially positionless. They'll all be defenders on SuperCoach but the rotating we've seen them in the middle and seeing Jarman occasionally up forward - I assime Sicily back just means we will see more of that.

It's really pleasing to see Howe get a bit of love. He's definitely had a good last few weeks, but I reckon he has been pretty solid all year. Had a bad game earlier in the year with that poor turnover across the oppo goals. But otherwise, his effort all years as been really consistent.

Like Nick the Pig said after the bye, our structures have changed which has benefited him.

He definitely has some deficiencies BUT he goes in hard and clarko likes him because he can be played in multiple roles, and gets used in defence a bit.

Not saying he's the answer to anything, it's just nice to see the kid get a bit of success and recognition. He's a hard worker.

He played Half back in round one and got 28 possessions then was injured in round 2. He started at half back today but got a lot of ball forward of centre. It may actually be Day who moves to the wing when the backline is settled.

The role Whitfield played today for GWS is exactly what I imagine Day evolves into. Running half back/receiving midfielder who dictates the flow of the game.

The only problem is he’s a brilliant mark and has a frenzied attack on the ball!

His scope for development is ridiculous, and he’s already very likely one of our best 5 players come the end of the year.

Re Daniel Howe:
Spot on. I watched his game at Box Hill a while back and he looked so relaxed and poised (but still as tough at the contest as anyone).
Couldn't help thinking, if only ...

And he has, for several weeks now.
Contrary to what some have suggested (or what I have inferred), I don't think its a case of a player suddenly playing for his life (career) and red-lining his game, which you definitely see from some players. If anything, it looks like the opposite. He has finally relaxed at the level and is playing with a clear head - the composure that is the difference between making quick decisions and just getting rid of it. The thing you can't bottle.
Would love to hear what Daniel says about his current form.
Juts hope it continues.

Good observation

Who was on Greene? Hardwick? Apart from 2 opportunistic goals, he was pretty much a non factor.

Before the game it seemed like this was the Toby Greene cup and they were about to unfurl a statue of him out the front of the G.

So true!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have watched the replay few times now 😬.Yes TOB goal and mark of the year contender is amazing. Jai Newcombe first goal as an AFL player, when we needed most is always special. But for me the most special one that I keep replaying is the Dylan Moore 3rd and 4th goal and I can't explain why, it's just keep me smiling while watching the play leading up to both goals 😬.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know your kids are playing well when a neutral observer at the game taps you on the shoulder and asks, "Excuse me, who is number 12 again?" ... then, "Excuse me, who is number 14 again?" ... then, "Excuse me, who is number 36 again?" ... then "Excuse me, who are 38 and 44 again?". Then, "Where did CJ go in the draft again?".

Time to buy a record pal!

I think it's no coincidence since the bye, moving Phillips from of the wing has helped the team immensely.
Just loved the one percenter from Day on the wing,when he ran head on into the guy and made sure he took some ball and some player
to stop the ball getting away. No stat but a real crucial play.

I think it's no coincidence since the bye, moving Phillips from of the wing has helped the team immensely.
Just loved the one percenter from Day on the wing,when he ran head on into the guy and made sure he took some ball and some player
to stop the ball getting away. No stat but a real crucial play.
Remember it. Took the body with him. So smart.

Need more of these wins to attract free agent talent to the club & hold onto players who may be looking elsewhere. Hopefully we can win at least 2-3 more games for the season.

A couple of random things…Dylan Moore reminds me of Stephen Milne. Hopefully he’s on his way to being an elite small forward/midfielder. Secondly, the current away guernseys are just ok for me. Whatever happened to the predominately brown ones with gold stripes & numbers on the back that the team was rocking a few years ago? Bring them back!
Spot on. I was thinking the same thing yesterday.

The role Whitfield played today for GWS is exactly what I imagine Day evolves into. Running half back/receiving midfielder who dictates the flow of the game.

The only problem is he’s a brilliant mark and has a frenzied attack on the ball!

His scope for development is ridiculous, and he’s already very likely one of our best 5 players come the end of the year.

Some of us would rank him in our top 5 already.

Joey Montagna, ex Saint, was scout for Freo last couple of years, reckons we’re going to have one of the most exciting backlines in the comp in 2022, with Scrim, Day and CJ on top of Sicily and Impey.
Also said he saw enough of DGB in quarter to know he’s going to be special.

Good to know it’s not just us fanatics that are excited.
Was a decent old pump up wasnt it ?

Funny how quickly things can change.
3 weeks ago we had nothing going for us , get a few back and more youngsters in and things swing around.

Some tough yards ahead , but gee its starting to have a bit of buzz and excitement about it .

Loved the game yesterday after a poor first 15 minutes I thought we were fantastic. Day was BOG and I loved what I saw from DGB on debut. I actually thought our 2nd quarter was the best quarter we've played all season.

I can't stand him but I actually think that was mark of the year from TOB.

Moore has that limited ceiling but I have to give him credit, busts his arse and has probably earned himself a 2 year deal.

He has finally relaxed at the level and is playing with a clear head - the composure that is the difference between making quick decisions and just getting rid of it.
He is getting much needed continuity in an rejuvenating side along with confidence in and from his team mates. I doubt he will ever be the most fluid of movers or an out n out match winner , he seems to structured for that now.
Put him in a side that lacks confidence and watch the old Dan return.
Onward n upwards for Dan I hope

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 15, 2021: Hawks floor Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back