Autopsy Round 15, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Flynn/Williams combo isn't working.

Get Jilliams in as an actual forward, with forward craft to do the occasional chop outs for Flynn.

If Flynn can't ruck 75% of a game at this point, he can regain fitness in the WAFL and Bailey can do the lot on his own.
Why would Flynn be starting ruck over BWilliams.

POSITIVES

Liam Ryan around the ball. Definitely worth persisting with.

Elliot Yeo. First game since injury i can say he was going full tilt for four quarters.

Waterman and Yeo. So Allen didn't kick straight today but showed they can be pretty dangerous in the same forward line.

3rd quarter fightback was pleasing. Could have easily rolled over but fought it out all game.

NEGATIVES
Not sure this two ruck combo is going to work and that's what it is if Bailey can't hit the scoreboard. Two big fat 0's for our rucks today...... as in marks. Not one between them.

Turnovers from the backline. Witherden had a few, couple form Rotham, a few more passed around. Don't bite off more than you can chew boys.

Goal kicking accuracy. Another average week for us whilst they couldn't miss. Simplest way to lose a game, always has been, always will be.

Overall i'm proud of the effort, was there all day and god knows our midfield was bare bones. I can handle losing if the boys turn up.

Bring on the Hawks.

Yep totally agree Simmo backing his old war horses and then tries these things when there both out , it similar with darling playing every week would rather he go with a young bloke and see what they can produce, fair to say that’s what happened with waterman this year unfortunately Allen was the one to go and waterman had to step up.

Who’s to say if they had dropped darling the last 2 years waterman may have stepped up earlier.
Just my conspiracy brain Side note but I reckon Goldstein was a sneaky late out because of our 3 falls up fwd..
They play the more agile mid tall instead.
bj couldn't get fwd with our 3 talls up there.
We were made top heavy x2

All my BS aside I think waterman defs could have been this player earlier in his career... but I think his unfortunate absence last year is what's made him into the player he is today. Hunger, endeavor and humbleness... there was a bit of a roulette back in the day with jakey, jd, jk and ozzy. Either way I'm just so happy jakey has become the player he has become..
Awesome hands and great work rate across the ground

-ve

The first 11 highest ball winners all bombers

The first eagle McGovern and half his came from goals square kick outs.

**** me we need to draft mids who can find the ball. We have no accumulators, Ball magnets. View attachment 2028057

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think this due to our contested ball focus. Simmo has always said that we want to improve in that first. Explains why we aren't doing well with accumulating. Not saying that's a good thing btw as those state look horrid, but something the team isn't trying to improve in just yet.

Positives
Ryan and Brockman looked ok in cba
For those who said Sheed or Gaff you would say today shows we need either and when Reid and Kelly come back we can still roll Ryan and Brockman into that mix regularly
Oallan redeemed himself in second half
A lot more watchable footy from last year.

Negatives.
Bwilliams. Apart from being a second ruck his forward and around the ground was poor.Would rather Jwilliams.
Rotham and Witherden. Witherden needs to cut out those high risk kicks that very rarely work out.
Poor tackling.
I thought too many times around the ground and in the forward line we seemed to not contest marks leaving Bombers with easy marks.
Not sure having such a big forward line is going to work but all three forwards did their best.
Again i would rather Jwilliams instead of Bwilliams if that is what we do for the rest of the year.
Poor tackling absolutely. Been a theme for far too long

POSITIVES

Liam Ryan around the ball. Definitely worth persisting with.

Elliot Yeo. First game since injury i can say he was going full tilt for four quarters.

Waterman and Yeo. So Allen didn't kick straight today but showed they can be pretty dangerous in the same forward line.

3rd quarter fightback was pleasing. Could have easily rolled over but fought it out all game.

NEGATIVES
Not sure this two ruck combo is going to work and that's what it is if Bailey can't hit the scoreboard. Two big fat 0's for our rucks today...... as in marks. Not one between them.

Turnovers from the backline. Witherden had a few, couple form Rotham, a few more passed around. Don't bite off more than you can chew boys.

Goal kicking accuracy. Another average week for us whilst they couldn't miss. Simplest way to lose a game, always has been, always will be.

Overall i'm proud of the effort, was there all day and god knows our midfield was bare bones. I can handle losing if the boys turn up.

Bring on the Hawks.
Good call

To lose an away game by 30 points and be in a position to win the game 5 mins from the end is a creditable effort.
This is especially so considering we had no midfield apart from Yeo and Ginbey.

Positives
  • Ryan v good as a pacy small midfielder, would be even better with more fitness;
  • Brockman also gave something in the midfield, needs more power and strength
  • the Maric experiment on the wing was promising;
  • Barrass and McGovern strong in defence and counter attacking
  • Waterman continued his strong form;
  • Allen comeback was successful, a few cobwebs and rust as expected
  • Yeo held the midfield together without injuring himself (hopefully) in a lost cause;
  • Ginbey gave good support to Yeo though he probably tired
  • Cripps busy as usual along with some misses and fumbles

Negatives
  • Rotham poor in defence, always costs two or three goals;
  • Witherden had a poor game turning the ball over several times;
  • Hough also beaten in defence;
  • Hunt seems lost atm;
  • BW couldn’t get near the ball in the forward line

Meh
  • Darling competed in attack and kicked two or three goals but he is the whose position was in question
  • Chesser not a bad game;
  • Petch kicked a couple of goals but not much else

Overall definitely improved from last year but need more coming up from underneath.
Need another top quality midfielder in this year’s draft and Hewett to return
Also need young kpds, hbfs, wingers and small forwards.
In other words just about everything.

Ok back home from the game.

The WORST:
- Essendon Supporters. &*$% me they are a whinging lot. every time anyone got a free kick that wasn't them or that they didn't get but expected it was constant whinging.

Negatives:
  • Some poor tactical decisions. Particularly the wings. In the first two quarters we got sliced up easily. The bombers would feign to play on inside then chip kick to a open winger easily because our players got sucked in too easily and because McGovern pushes up so high he was repeatedly getting cut up over the back.
  • Too many tall forwards, Just need Allen and Waterman. Darling although good today we just looked very slow preventing the easy exit from our f50.
  • Cole, Was invisible today. didn't do much at all. 8 touches, no Marks, 1 tackle.
  • The Rucks and Mids for the final 3-4 minutes of the match just gave up and went to sleep. Those last 3 goals were annoying.

Mehhh:
- 13 Goals 14 Behinds. Should have kicked at least 3-4 more goals from easily gettable shots.

Positives:
  • Ryan as a mid was awesome to watch live. He's silky and gets into space so easily.
  • Oscar back! yes he missed some sitters he would normally nail but it was great to see both him and Waterman working well together.
  • Waterman with another 3 goal game. Snake just keeps on Snake'n
  • Barrass with 9 Intercept Marks falls one shot of matching the record.
  • Effort was definitely there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just finished it delayed. Bombers deserved winners but think 30 points flatters them.

+2 inside 50s, even scoring shots, 13.14 hurts the final score.

Got way more from Allen than I expected, will be miles better for the run and what a welcome addition that will be.

Ryan midfield shifts must stay. Barrass exceptional. Yeo fantastic offensively. Really liked our forward pressure for such a tall team, thought Darling (and Hutch late) laid some awesome tackles. Pressure at rebounding 50 wasn’t great, but equally Essendon struggled with it a lot too. One of those games.

Draper shaped the game more than the call gave him credit for I think. Too often he beat Flynn and waltzed out of the middle, and threw in that important late one against Bailey too.

Probably Hough’s least impressive game of the year which is a shame, but nice the bar is so high for him. Hunt and Maric very quiet, not sure we have a good system for getting the ball into the hands of our wingers regardless of personnel.

Plenty to like, some accuracy to clean up, and a few things that need fixing which are largely list management issues. The most normal game we’ve played in about three years, there.

Why would Flynn be starting ruck over BWilliams.

Short answer, Flynn is the better ruckman. HTA's and general ruck craft is Flynn's bread and butter normally.

Soon as we added Flynn, Williams died in this team for mine.

Right now we're doing this dumb ruck split similar to how we used to hide a genuine #1 ruck in Hickey on the bench and only give him 50% TOG because Naitanui couldn't ruck out a game. Flynn 67% TOG, Bailey 60% which suggests we're not rotating them forward, but rather to the bench more.

Williams: 5d, 0 marks, 0 score, 2 tackles, 1 clearance, 13HO's from 37 ruck contests. 35.1% HO win rate.

Flynn: 6d, 0 marks, 0 score, 5 tackles, 1 clearance, 26HO's from 58 ruck contests. 44.8% HO win rate.

HTA's percentage also favours Flynn. Flynn on his own should be a lot better for our mids than Williams has been, technically. We need to get his TOG back up to 75%+ territory and leave him exclusively in the ruck.

Big positives for Ryan in the middle, a genuine option now that we should use.
Biggest sign for me was the pregame interview where Simmo said they planned to use him a bit like Rioli in the old days.

That was always such a devastating 5 minute burst midfield option for us, and I will never not go back to the fact that after the Sheed goal in the 2018 GF, Rioli was at the centre bounce.

We’ve got plenty of power in our midfield, between Yeo, Reid, Ginbey. We just need that pure polish option, and in absence of having one on the list (or in the absence of asking Reid to do everything himself) Rioli Ryan on the ball is a great discovery.

Obviously it’s nice that Ryan had a really good game in the middle, but the fact they’re framing it like replacing an old role we knew has been successful and haven’t been able to rediscover is really pleasing to me.

Short answer, Flynn is the better ruckman. HTA's and general ruck craft is Flynn's bread and butter normally.

Soon as we added Flynn, Williams died in this team for mine.

Right now we're doing this dumb ruck split similar to how we used to hide a genuine #1 ruck in Hickey on the bench and only give him 50% TOG because Naitanui couldn't ruck out a game. Flynn 67% TOG, Bailey 60% which suggests we're not rotating them forward, but rather to the bench more.

Williams: 5d, 0 marks, 0 score, 2 tackles, 1 clearance, 13HO's from 37 ruck contests. 35.1% HO win rate.

Flynn: 6d, 0 marks, 0 score, 5 tackles, 1 clearance, 26HO's from 58 ruck contests. 44.8% HO win rate.

HTA's percentage also favours Flynn. Flynn on his own should be a lot better for our mids than Williams has been, technically. We need to get his TOG back up to 75%+ territory and leave him exclusively in the ruck.
Yeah Flynn should be better than BWilliams. Flynn’s form was very good last year.

However BWilliams form as the number one ruck this year has been better than Flynn’s.

Because we don't need an extra mid in there. We need a ruckman that taps it and not to himself.

Go look at how Williams plays on centre bounces.

Anyways Cal Jamo second ruck with Flynn solves alot of issues
Why the **** would jamieson be second ruck over BWilliams hahaha

Flynn got beaten in the ruck by Draper lol

+ maric on the wing for first half, dropped off but.

Gov and his harry high pants brother.

Yeos 2nd half.

Oallen rusty af but still got it, just needs a few games.

Coulda pinched that

Much better away game, gives me hope for mer Bourne in two weeks.

- Rotham and Hough were awful. Boughs worst game all year. Rotham just isn’t an afl footy player.

Flynn ordinary

Kicking for goal costs us another game

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 15, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back