Preview Round 18, 2018: St.Kilda v Richmond *MADDIES MATCH 3*, Etihad Stadium, Friday 20th July, 7:50PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 36 35.6%
  • Tigers

Votes: 65 64.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Richmond Best 22
B:
Dylan Grimes, Alex Rance, Nick Vlastuin
HB: Brandon Ellis, David Astbury, Bachar Houli
C: Shaun Grigg, Dustin Martin, Shane Edwards
HF: Kane Lambert, Jack Riewoldt, Daniel Rioli
F: Jacob Townsend, Josh Caddy, Dan Butler
FOLL: Toby Nankervis, Trent Cotchin, Dion Prestia
INT: Kamdyn McIntosh, Jack Graham, Nathan Broad, Jason Castagna

I'm guessing this was just taken as the Premiership team...Trouble is, it's got little to do with the likely 22.

I know the perception is that Richmond doesn't have injuries, but....Butler, Graham & Broad all got hurt 2 weeks against Adelaide and are out injured for at least 2-3 more weeks.
McIntosh was also dropped a few weeks back for poor form and hasn't done a hell of a lot to suggest a recall any time soon and Townsend has barely played in the 1s this year.

Ins (compared to the team listed, based on last weeks team)

Short: Plays HBF, provides decent run and a massive boot (yes, Short kicks long). Has been in the team all year and has been one of our best.

Higgins: Our first draft pick from last year. Small forward/mid...Smart user of the ball, but probably needs to get more of it, but has done enough that he's rapidly secured a place in the side.

Callum Moore: Tall forward, but plays a bit more like a small (more a 3rd tall type rather than a true KPF)...Quick, good at ground level and has shown glimpses, without ever really looking like dominating...More a case of getting games for development than any real expectations at this stage.

Corey Ellis: Midfielder, but gets played back a bit. High pick from a few years ago, uses it well, and has been dominating in the VFL, but doesn't really seem to get his hands on it much at this level. Brought in as injury cover and arguably being played out of position, but he's out of contract at the end of the year and if he doesn't show a bit more he might be facing a nervous time when trades/delistments/new contracts are worked out.

Shai Bolton: Small forward, bit of a highlight reel, evasive, x factor, likes going for the high marks, etc...They've been working him into the midfield more in the twos and spent a little time there last week. In his second year, so still developing.

There were no injuries last week, but after a loss, there is always pressure....the last 3 listed here particularly would all be a little nervous....If they make a change the most likely would probably be Menadue for C.Ellis, but I suspect they'll stick with the same team.

I'm guessing this was just taken as the Premiership team...Trouble is, it's got little to do with the likely 22.

I know the perception is that Richmond doesn't have injuries, but....Butler, Graham & Broad all got hurt 2 weeks against Adelaide and are out injured for at least 2-3 more weeks.
McIntosh was also dropped a few weeks back for poor form and hasn't done a hell of a lot to suggest a recall any time soon and Townsend has barely played in the 1s this year.

Ins (compared to the team listed, based on last weeks team)

Short: Plays HBF, provides decent run and a massive boot (yes, Short kicks long). Has been in the team all year and has been one of our best.

Higgins: Our first draft pick from last year. Small forward/mid...Smart user of the ball, but probably needs to get more of it, but has done enough that he's rapidly secured a place in the side.

Callum Moore: Tall forward, but plays a bit more like a small (more a 3rd tall type rather than a true KPF)...Quick, good at ground level and has shown glimpses, without ever really looking like dominating...More a case of getting games for development than any real expectations at this stage.

Corey Ellis: Midfielder, but gets played back a bit. High pick from a few years ago, uses it well, and has been dominating in the VFL, but doesn't really seem to get his hands on it much at this level. Brought in as injury cover and arguably being played out of position, but he's out of contract at the end of the year and if he doesn't show a bit more he might be facing a nervous time when trades/delistments/new contracts are worked out.

Shai Bolton: Small forward, bit of a highlight reel, evasive, x factor, likes going for the high marks, etc...They've been working him into the midfield more in the twos and spent a little time there last week. In his second year, so still developing.

There were no injuries last week, but after a loss, there is always pressure....the last 3 listed here particularly would all be a little nervous....If they make a change the most likely would probably be Menadue for C.Ellis, but I suspect they'll stick with the same team.
I just get it from the AFL website from an article back in January. Don't know enough about each club to list actual best 22's and don't have the time for it as you can imagine lol. If you'd like to put down your own best 22 I can edit the post no problems at all :)

I just get it from the AFL website from an article back in January. Don't know enough about each club to list actual best 22's and don't have the time for it as you can imagine lol. If you'd like to put down your own best 22 I can edit the post no problems at all :)
Why do you use the best 22 from January? Wouldn’t it be more useful to use last week’s 22? Saints side will never look like our January best 22 due to injuries, form and player growth, most clubs are the same. At least last weeks 22, will only likely have 2-3 changes.

Why do you use the best 22 from January? Wouldn’t it be more useful to use last week’s 22? Saints side will never look like our January best 22 due to injuries, form and player growth, most clubs are the same. At least last weeks 22, will only likely have 2-3 changes.
Fair enough, I will do that then.

I figured as much, thus my 'update'. All good.

As for this weeks team...Heres last weeks, taken from
http://www.afl.com.au/news/teams?round=17 (You can probably use this to find the previous weeks oppo team for future rounds too)

Richmond
B David Astbury, Alex Rance,Dylan Grimes
HB Jayden Short, Nick Vlastuin, Brandon Ellis
C Shaun Grigg, Trent Cotchin, Dion Prestia
HF Daniel Rioli, Kane Lambert, Jason Castagna
F Callum Moore, Jack Riewoldt, Josh Caddy
Fol Toby Nankervis, Shane Edwards, Dustin Martin
I/C Bachar Houli, Jack Higgins, Shai Bolton, Corey Ellis

In: Ross, Battle, Acres
Out: Webster (inj) Clark (Managed) Phillips (Omitted)

Newnes goes back to accommodate Battle forward

I figured as much, thus my 'update'. All good.

As for this weeks team...Heres last weeks, taken from
http://www.afl.com.au/news/teams?round=17 (You can probably use this to find the previous weeks oppo team for future rounds too)

Richmond
B David Astbury, Alex Rance,Dylan Grimes
HB Jayden Short, Nick Vlastuin, Brandon Ellis
C Shaun Grigg, Trent Cotchin, Dion Prestia
HF Daniel Rioli, Kane Lambert, Jason Castagna
F Callum Moore, Jack Riewoldt, Josh Caddy
Fol Toby Nankervis, Shane Edwards, Dustin Martin
I/C Bachar Houli, Jack Higgins, Shai Bolton, Corey Ellis
Thanks bud, updated the OP :thumbsu:

Reckon Geary to Caddy as someone else said, Steele to Martin after last weeks effort on the bigger Cripps, and Ross to Cotchin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really like Newnes as a forward. If he can work on his tackling and get it to where Wellers is at the moment he would be a huge upgrade.

He’s kicked 12 goals in his last 8 games since going forward, despite also spending time back and on the wing.
The new Gilbo.....plug him in wherever needed

Caddy is too strong in the air for Geary, I think Gilbert might be a better match up. Geary will also have his hands full with one of the small forwards, I’d put him on Rioli.

Martins speed worries me a little on Steele, I think Ross did a very good job on him in last year’s Maddies match, although Martin got the better of him in the next one. Cotchin seems like the right match up for Steele for me.

Steele v Cotchin
Ross v Martin
Gilbert v Caddy

This game is perfect to give our guys a great test - time for Sinclair , Steele , Billings to show they are good players.
Also see how McKenzie , Marshal , Rice , Phillips go under the pump - it sure is going to be good for their development.
I would bring in Freeman , Acres , Ross and Battle this week.

Out Webster - inj / Weller / Lonie / Hunter - rested

Geary / Gilbert / Rice
McKenzie / Carlisle / Savage
Sinclair / Steele / Phillip's
Newnes / Battle / Billings
Gresham / Membery / Marshall

Hickey / Ross / Steven

Acres - Freeman - Dunstan - Armitage

I wouldn't - as great as it'd be to see St Kilda win this week Richmond just have far too much class, 4 goal win to your mob I reckon.
$6.10. Too good to ignore.

This game is perfect to give our guys a great test - time for Sinclair , Steele , Billings to show they are good players.
Also see how McKenzie , Marshal , Rice , Phillips go under the pump - it sure is going to be good for their development.
I would bring in Freeman , Acres , Ross and Battle this week.

Out Webster - inj / Weller / Lonie / Hunter - rested

Geary / Gilbert / Rice
McKenzie / Carlisle / Savage
Sinclair / Steele / Phillip's
Newnes / Battle / Billings
Gresham / Membery / Marshall

Hickey / Ross / Steven

Acres - Freeman - Dunstan - Armitage
These are the same changes I'd make.

Last time we played them (at the MCG), we were competitive enough that we were two goals up half way through the 3rd quarter, despite being without as many as 10 who are currently best 22 or thereabouts, so it will be interesting to see how we go, now that we're playing better footy, are at our home ground, have much more confidence and momentum up and are likely to be closer to full strength.

Didn't play in that game who are likely to play this one:

Armitage
Acres
Battle
Gilbert
Probably Weller

Did play in that one who won't/are unlikely to play this one:

Austin
Paddy
White (1 disp that day)
Maybe Webster
Possibly 1 or 2 of Clark/Rice/Phillips

I actually rate Newnes. Yes, he messes up sometimes but who doesn't. Boys seem to love him, and he seems to love them more it's evident whenever someone kicks a goal newnes is first to be there and whenever he kicks a goal he lights up the boys. He offers leadership & versatility, he is limited but he has been solid in the last month but I think with full preseason he can reach that A Grade (Big call, but I believe it).

Certainly will be interesting to see how Newnes goes once he's back to full fitness (assuming he's playing injured now) and off hopefully a full preseason, now that he's added this forward string to his bow.

Believe we need to prioritise others on the wings from now on though, in particular Sincs and Acres.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back