Preview Round 18, 2018: St.Kilda v Richmond *MADDIES MATCH 3*, Etihad Stadium, Friday 20th July, 7:50PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 36 35.6%
  • Tigers

Votes: 65 64.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remember last year.

Go Saints
On this board, posting this vid is obvious, shallow like bait. It's almost tawdry how effectively it'll get likes, from all and sundry.

... Clever bugger...

;)

Apparently Leon Cameron said after the Giants beat the Tigers last week that they deliberately played a "kicking game" and reduced their number of handballs. The idea being that too much handballing allows Richmond to ramp up the pressure on the opposition ball carrier.

It will be interesting to see if we attempt something similar this week and if we have the skill level necessary to carry it off, if we do. I think the Giants have got us covered in the foot skiils department. Probably worth a try though.

Apparently Leon Cameron said after the Giants beat the Tigers last week that they deliberately played a "kicking game" and reduced their number of handballs. The idea being that too much handballing allows Richmond to ramp up the pressure on the opposition ball carrier.

It will be interesting to see if we attempt something similar this week and if we have the skill level necessary to carry it off, if we do. I think the Giants have got us covered in the foot skiils department. Probably worth a try though.
This is what North Melbourne did to us!

God, if we had the skills to do this a lot of our problems would be solved.

We do have some good field kicks in the team when they're in form; Webster, Billings, Rice, Silklair, Clark (though he may be rested) and others whose best is extremely productive like Steven, Sav and Carlisle.

But it only needs one weak link in the chain for it to break and there are just ball butchers by foot everywhere we look in our team.

I'd like to see us try it do we can put internal pressure on those butchers to shape up or ship out, but I doubt we'd play with fate like that.

I suspect its more about moving the ball away from the contest area as quickly as possible rather than a Hawthorn style possession game. Three or four sideways handballs invites the pressure that Richmonds game is built on. They win the turnover and they are already running forward.

So maybe the plan was to move it quickly as possible and hope that the next contest is then a one on one that you can win.

Liking the sound of Paton after what (on paper at least) looked to be a pretty solid game on the weekend. Big tackle number and can hit the scoreboard... watch him start in a back pocket :p

On the above point about how GWS played Richmond, I’d expect us to try to switch the play a lot to generate some kick-mark flow forward and avoid the contested congestion the Tiges thrive on winning and racing toward goal. This game will certainly give us a fair idea of how we’re really tracking at the moment.

Is the club planning on playing this at the game or is it more just an idea?

They've certainly done it for the two Maddie's matches so far, as Maddie was an enormous LFC fan. So I've just assumed.

Hopefully I'll get to the ground early enough to not miss it.

The lyrics are:

When you walk through a storm
Hold your head up high
And don't be afraid of the dark
At the end of a storm
There's a golden sky
And the sweet silver song of a lark
Walk on through the wind
Walk on through the rain
Though your dreams be tossed and blown
Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone
You'll never walk alone
Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone
You'll never walk alone

Just a long way of saying Strength through Loyalty.

Really can't see Lonie getting dropped after getting 9 tackles. He is our only pressure small forward, played his role and kicked and assisted a goal.

I thought Rice was awesome, hope he keeps his spot. Watched the hips and crunched tackles Lenny style.

Would love to see Freezer come in. Get the fans excited, add that to maddie's match and the tiger army and we might fill out a Friday night match. Really important to us that we keep some Fridays next year. Although 5 day turnaround makes it unlikely. Probably Ross in for Mckenzie or Hunter would be the only change unless Webster doesn't come up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like Bruce he missed the preseason and never got his previous form back.
David Mission's book "The Bubble" which was an insight into his years working under RTB was a real insight into a seasons preparation.

He basically said a player would be behind the 8 ball for a forth coming season if:

You missed sessions during the lead up to X-mas due to an injury...surgery or a niggle.

You missed sessions leading into the pre season due to the above.

You get injured early in a season and during.

He said it's absolutely crucial that a player has an un interrupted pre season and season proper although most players would be carrying a little something at this time of the year.

Due to the above I cringe everytime a player is announced as having some type of injury.

Think the other 2 are therefor different reasons. They have forward pressure newnes really doesn’t. All 3 probably need replacing for us to really improve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree with that mate, which is why I said in my original post that if Newnes could get his tackling rate close to Wellers, he’d be a huge upgrade.

Newnes has a really good tackle on him IMO, much better than Lonie, he just needs to do it more. He laid some really good tackles on the weekend, there is no reason he can’t be told to work on it I guess.

Newnes is a career 3 tackles per game player, which reflects his outside position. Since moving to the forward line his tackling numbers have been generally consistent with his career numbers.

Ideally you would have only one of Newnes and Weller in the team, but Weller is more like a 4 tackles per game player and plays taller.

I would have my ideal front seven at the moment as Membrey, Battle & Marshall as marking targets (Marshall offers slightly more than McCartin at the moment) and Gresham, Long, Newnes and Billings as the non-marking players, with Billings & Gresham also spending some time in the midfield, with Armitage and Acres spending time up forward out of the midfield rotation.

Newnes is a career 3 tackles per game player, which reflects his outside position. Since moving to the forward line his tackling numbers have been generally consistent with his career numbers.

Ideally you would have only one of Newnes and Weller in the team, but Weller is more like a 4 tackles per game player and plays taller.

I would have my ideal front seven at the moment as Membrey, Battle & Marshall as marking targets (Marshall offers slightly more than McCartin at the moment) and Gresham, Long, Newnes and Billings as the non-marking players, with Billings & Gresham also spending some time in the midfield, with Armitage and Acres spending time up forward out of the midfield rotation.

As a forward , i'd rather the guy who kicks twice as many goals, than the guy who tackles a bit more and plays taller.

As a forward , i'd rather the guy who kicks twice as many goals, than the guy who tackles a bit more and plays taller.
this exactly ... honestly Weller is the most frustrating player .. he shows a short snippit of the player he was then bang he go's back to the player he is ... players who have only one semi ok trait shouldnt be in the team .. we finnaly got longer out Mav Weller should be the next one to move out of the team ... but knowing us we will drop Lonie again

this exactly ... honestly Weller is the most frustrating player .. he shows a short snippit of the player he was then bang he go's back to the player he is ... players who have only one semi ok trait shouldnt be in the team .. we finnaly got longer out Mav Weller should be the next one to move out of the team ... but knowing us we will drop Lonie again

I like Mav off field, he's a gun of a guy and have stood up for him a bit but he has had a long time since he played his best footy. Last couple of weeks he's been okay though and he's holding his spot but can understand why people want him out. I kind of shows where we are at though. He plays as a pressure defensive forward so he's really only up against Meatball (injured most of this year), Wright (not really setting the world on fire either) and Lonie who can have good game and people only see his three mistakes. He's not getting pushed out because we don't really have options. If we replaced him with Acres people will cry that we aren't playing him in the midfield and Acres isn't the best at the defensive aspects of the game, goats don't go backwards.

That's modern footy though, every coach will tell you that forward pressure is worth much more than defence from the backline or the midfield. Lock it in the forward line and you limit the opposition chances of scoring easily and repeat shots on goal will eventually start to turn into goals....or so the theory goes.

David Mission's book "The Bubble" which was an insight into his years working under RTB was a real insight into a seasons preparation.

He basically said a player would be behind the 8 ball for a forth coming season if:

You missed sessions during the lead up to X-mas due to an injury...surgery or a niggle.

You missed sessions leading into the pre season due to the above.

You get injured early in a season and during.

He said it's absolutely crucial that a player has an un interrupted pre season and season proper although most players would be carrying a little something at this time of the year.

Due to the above I cringe everytime a player is announced as having some type of injury.

Yeah, you regularly hear players say the same thing. Pretty hard to ever catch up to speed when you start late.

Starting to feel that if Jimmy misses, we might need to bring in White to replace him, as we may be too short down back if we replace him in the team with say Seb instead.

We'll need height for Riewoldt and Moore (if he plays) and also for Caddy/Dusty, so Jake and Gilbo might not be enough. Sav is the next tallest after them and he doesn't play tall. D-Mac has a good leap, is a good mark, and plays taller than his height, but he's only listed at 184cm.

When Dusty goes down there I see Gilbo as clearly the best option for him, as he has the height, speed and strength required to handle him, but then who goes to Moore (193cm) during those periods, and then there's also Caddy, and who covers for either Jake or Gilbo when they're on the bench?

Really not a good balance if we don't have a Webster/White/Robbo back there, who are quick, but can also play taller when required.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back