Preview Round 18, 2018: St.Kilda v Richmond *MADDIES MATCH 3*, Etihad Stadium, Friday 20th July, 7:50PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 36 35.6%
  • Tigers

Votes: 65 64.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes mate he’s my cousin. I just get upset when people abuse him.
Part of life unfortunately
" To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing"
I want Paddy to succeed, but he has only shown glimpses of his potential and people will criticism him as a result

We love the big guy but we need so much more from him. We had high hopes and he's starting to turn his game around, but it does seem ATM like he's not suited to modern footy.

Trust me, we'd all love him to be a star for us, and we recognise his bad luck. If we knew what he needed to get to the top we'd give it to him.

But based on this year alone, surely you can see why many saints fans are losing patience.

blacres stiff
Didn't even know he was unwell #RIPBlake

R6vsNFW.gif

For what it's worth I agree, I think people are comparing both Paddy and Roma on return on investment. One was pick one, the other a rookie pick. Flip them and people would probably be bagging Roma and loving paddy.

However, Roma is showing a good amount of promise for a rookie pick, and can relief ruck (though his set shot routine is appalling).

i had completely forgotten about him *dodges the rocks and beer bottles*

great point!
Interesting part about Acres is that in Sammy's VFL review he did not get a write up. Only his stats were mentioned.
What does that mean?
1. He is an automatic walk up start this week, so no need to write a review
2. Coach thought his game was not worth writing up
I'm not sure what to make of it

Just hope Acres can play this week , we need him to show us he is that class link up player we need - if he can prove he has come of age it will be a huge bonus for us in the future , he is 22 and played 51 games and if he can pick up 30 touches a game like he did against the Lions regularly we will have a class mid already in our ranks.

Interesting part about Acres is that in Sammy's VFL review he did not get a write up. Only his stats were mentioned.
What does that mean?
1. He is an automatic walk up start this week, so no need to write a review
2. Coach thought his game was not worth writing up
I'm not sure what to make of it

3. i am Sammy

For what it's worth I agree, I think people are comparing both Paddy and Roma on return on investment. One was pick one, the other a rookie pick. Flip them and people would probably be bagging Roma and loving paddy.

However, Roma is showing a good amount of promise for a rookie pick, and can relief ruck (though his set shot routine is appalling).
I've gone in to bat for Paddy a heap and would still back him to have the better career than Roma at this early stage, but the thing for me on who makes us better RIGHT NOW is that I just find it really hard to see how Roma wouldn't generally be capable of doing pretty much everything Paddy is currently doing (which is primarily providing a marking contest, and if he takes a mark, or kicks a goal, it's a bit of a bonus), but then also giving us SO much more on top of that, with his vastly better defensive (tackling and pressure) game and his vastly better rucking abilities.

He basically has a big head-start on Paddy before the game even starts, because of the latter two points.

And then to match Paddy in the other areas he only needs to have 10 disposals, 5 marks, kick a goal and provide a bunch of marking contests, which is not exactly the world's highest bar to get over.

So if Roma maintains anything like his form on the weekend, I would pick him over what we generally get from Paddy no hesitation, and then the question would likely be Paddy v Battle.

Because Paddy is such a liability defensively, it won't take much for someone like Roma to be of more value to the team until Paddy is closer to kicking 2 goals a game and taking 6+ marks etc.

His level of output at the moment is less than that of Beau Wilkes in 2012 and 2013, to put things into perspective:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...ayerStatus2=A&tid2=16&pid2=4035&fid2=S&type=A

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...ayerStatus2=A&tid2=16&pid2=4035&fid2=S&type=A

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alright campaigners, just bought the purple guernsey (my size sold out last year before I could :mad:) and paid 15$ to get it delivered express to work at Docklands, all up 132$ with the 10% discount which I hope does some good stuff for MRV.

I really ****ing hope I get it in time cause I’ll be left holding my dick if it gets here Monday :drunk:

I've gone in to bat for Paddy a heap and would still back him to have the better career than Roma at this early stage, but the thing for me on who makes us better RIGHT NOW is that I just find it really hard to see how Roma wouldn't generally be capable of doing pretty much everything Paddy is currently doing (which is primarily providing a marking contest, and if he takes a mark, or kicks a goal, it's a bit of a bonus), but then also giving us SO much more on top of that, with his vastly better defensive (tackling and pressure) game and his vastly better rucking abilities.

He basically has a big head-start on Paddy before the game even starts, because of the latter two points.

And then to match Paddy in the other areas he only needs to have 10 disposals, 5 marks, kick a goal and provide a bunch of marking contests, which is not exactly the world's highest bar to get over.

So if Roma maintains anything like his form on the weekend, I would pick him over what we generally get from Paddy no hesitation, and then the question would likely be Paddy v Battle.

Because Paddy is such a liability defensively, it won't take much for someone like Roma to be of more value to the team until Paddy is closer to kicking 2 goals a game and taking 6+ marks etc.

His level of output at the moment is less than that of Beau Wilkes in 2012 and 2013, to put things into perspective:

Uhh I remember Wilkes/Maister. Couple of great games with 5 goal hauls and some brilliant marks, then just seemed to stop being good one day.

Battle vs Paddy is probably the better argument. Roma is a third forward/ruck going forward, paddy and battle are both forwards, but they're very different in how they play. At the moment I'm leaning toward Battle, based on ability to do repeate efforts, hard tackles, and a better set shot. Paddy seems to be a bit smarter and surprisingly is better at playing further up the ground.

The little snippets under StKilda in the Full Ladder in Mondays Herald Sun.
(Rowan Marshall got picked as a Rookie by Saints, but played like a Round 1 pick).
Compliment or a Dig i am not sure

Look, I know you have a long history of comments here on BigFooty, so I'll be brief:

Marshall can ruck.
Marshall accumulates disposals about as well as any of our marking forwards.
Marshall is a good mark on a lead and in a pack situation.
Marshall doesn't have a disappointingly long injury history.

I really like Paddy and want to see him succeed, and I am confident he will based on the entirety of his career so far (of which I've watched 100% of at AFL level), but right now I have Rowan slightly ahead.

On the other hand, I would have thought you would lose your BigFooty virginity on your own team's board. Either way, feel free to reply and double your post count.

View attachment 529107
Punter with the
giphy.gif

Alright campaigners, just bought the purple guernsey (my size sold out last year before I could :mad:) and paid 15$ to get it delivered express to work at Docklands, all up 132$ with the 10% discount which I hope does some good stuff for MRV.

I really ******* hope I get it in time cause I’ll be left holding my dick if it gets here Monday :drunk:
You should be ok there Lightsxo….I purchased a couple of Maddie Items last week and was amazed how quick it all happened.

The gear is despatched from a place in Altona.

Ordered on line in the morning.....advised around Lunch that it's on the way....txt from Aust Post late arvo saying it was avail for pickup at my local Post Office.

And that was without the express post option.

Yikes, you're pulling out the BeauMaister!!!?!? Low blow, there ARR! :O

No. I think it would be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back