Preview Round 18, 2018: St.Kilda v Richmond *MADDIES MATCH 3*, Etihad Stadium, Friday 20th July, 7:50PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 36 35.6%
  • Tigers

Votes: 65 64.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually rate Newnes. Yes, he messes up sometimes but who doesn't. Boys seem to love him, and he seems to love them more it's evident whenever someone kicks a goal newnes is first to be there and whenever he kicks a goal he lights up the boys. He offers leadership & versatility, he is limited but he has been solid in the last month but I think with full preseason he can reach that A Grade (Big call, but I believe it).
Newnes is the classic "heart of the club" type guy. He is relatively unnoticed by most people but you can tell all the players love playing with him.

The last two years Newnes was consistently one of our best for meters Gained and inside 50's. This is his first season coming off having an interrupted pre-season where he didn't get on the track til after Christmas (or was it no contact training til after Christmas?)
I think he'll respond next season, but there's nothing wrong with giving him a run in the VFL for someone looking to prove themselves.

Caddy is too strong in the air for Geary, I think Gilbert might be a better match up. Geary will also have his hands full with one of the small forwards, I’d put him on Rioli.

Martins speed worries me a little on Steele, I think Ross did a very good job on him in last year’s Maddies match, although Martin got the better of him in the next one. Cotchin seems like the right match up for Steele for me.

Steele v Cotchin
Ross v Martin
Gilbert v Caddy
Gilbert has to go to Moore as the rest of our defenders r too small Carlisle to Riewoldt Caddy is the problem one we don't have a matchup with and our other defenders Rice Geary Savage and McKenzie will be chasing arse that being Richmonds fleet footed forwards. Steele to Cotchin who plays midfield mainly and Martin if he plays out of the square we have nobody for him either this could get ugly quickly.

The last two years Newnes was consistently one of our best for meters Gained and inside 50's. This is his first season coming off having an interrupted pre-season where he didn't get on the track til after Christmas (or was it no contact training til after Christmas?)
I think he'll respond next season, but there's nothing wrong with giving him a run in the VFL for someone looking to prove themselves.
He’s averaging a goal and a half a game since going forward.

Why this newnes love from some and why is he injured. Gop but that’s ok if you have bugger all of them. Not ok when you have 10 which we have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure it’s a huge amount of love. I just think he’s got a future as a forward. Definitely more so than Weller and Lonie.

As I said, he’s averaging 1.5 goals a game since going forward despite also spending time back. Some good signs there.

The Weller/Lonie battle for a spot should heat up in the next few weeks with Longy returning. Weller has more of a physical presence but Lonie is more crafty and I believe offers more as a typical small forward. Also love the fact he’s a pest and adds feeling to the game, need to see more aggression from our boys.

Not sure it’s a huge amount of love. I just think he’s got a future as a forward. Definitely more so than Weller and Lonie.

As I said, he’s averaging 1.5 goals a game since going forward despite also spending time back. Some good signs there.

Think the other 2 are therefor different reasons. They have forward pressure newnes really doesn’t. All 3 probably need replacing for us to really improve

In: Ross battle acres

Out: Phillips weller Clark

B: geary gilbert rice
Hb: webster Carlisle savage
C: Sinclair Steele acres
Hf: Billings battle newnes
F: Gresham Marshall membrey
Foll: hickey Ross Steven
Int: McKenzie dunstan armitage lonie

Emer: Phillips freeman white weller

The Weller/Lonie battle for a spot should heat up in the next few weeks with Longy returning. Weller has more of a physical presence but Lonie is more crafty and I believe offers more as a typical small forward. Also love the fact he’s a pest and adds feeling to the game, need to see more aggression from our boys.
STK-header.png

Get them in: Blake Acres had 24 disposals and nine tackles in his second game back from a groin issue for Sandringham. Nathan Freeman has played five successive VFL games, and collected 23 disposals against Geelong.

Ben Paton put in another impressive performance, with 20 disposals, 14 tackles and two goals.

Ben Paton is another option we should consider. Has played mid, defender and forward with Sandy - excellent tackling pressure good kick both sides, fast, can kick goals, very high i50 count. Better choice than Freeman.

Out J Lonie In Ben Paton
Out Clark In Acres
Out Webster (inj) In Ross

In: Ross battle acres

Out: Phillips weller Clark

B: geary gilbert rice
Hb: webster Carlisle savage
C: Sinclair Steele acres
Hf: Billings battle newnes
F: Gresham Marshall membrey
Foll: hickey Ross Steven
Int: McKenzie dunstan armitage lonie

Emer: Phillips freeman white weller

Pretty much this. If Webster is out then I'd bring in Coffield/White.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Newnes is the classic "heart of the club" type guy. He is relatively unnoticed by most people but you can tell all the players love playing with him.
2nd this, Newnes is a heart and soul player i think will play his career out at the saints. Does his job, reliable kick and usually tough. His tackling has been off tho this year, but must have a niggle. I remember he done a run down tackle on a very quick player where he had to dive at them and just caught him. Loved it!

STK-header.png

Get them in: Blake Acres had 24 disposals and nine tackles in his second game back from a groin issue for Sandringham. Nathan Freeman has played five successive VFL games, and collected 23 disposals against Geelong.

Ben Paton put in another impressive performance, with 20 disposals, 14 tackles and two goals.

Ben Paton is another option we should consider. Has played mid, defender and forward with Sandy - excellent tackling pressure good kick both sides, fast, can kick goals, very high i50 count. Better choice than Freeman.

Out J Lonie In Ben Paton
Out Clark In Acres
Out Webster (inj) In Ross
Like this but based on vfl form I would go Ross for Clarke and White for Webster
Paton for Lonie should be a definite!

Jack Lonie- great forward pressure and effort, but i think if a small forward cant do the round the corner snap to goal more often than not - ur in trouble as a forward pocket:drunk:

That will break his uninterrupted games streak tho - currently 104 sitting 3rd

Certainly will be interesting to see how Newnes goes once he's back to full fitness (assuming he's playing injured now) and off hopefully a full preseason, now that he's added this forward string to his bow.

Believe we need to prioritise others on the wings from now on though, in particular Sincs and Acres.

Like Bruce he missed the preseason and never got his previous form back.

Probably saved Noons’ season. Haven’t checked the stats but he’s a pretty good kick for goal is Noons. Be nice if he was a bit quicker for defensive purposes but can’t complain apart from that.

Hopefully Noons keeps it up.

Think the other 2 are therefor different reasons. They have forward pressure newnes really doesn’t. All 3 probably need replacing for us to really improve

agree with that - can't see them being in our best 22 when Long comes back - Long - Battle - Billings / Gresham - Membery - Marshall then throw in Bruce ., McCartin , Newnes , Acres.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back