Autopsy Round 18, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Plenty of fight in that. Not nearly enough polish, which is to be expected, but pleasing to see them stay in it and not fold.

Positives
  • Hough. Wowee.
  • Harry Edwards has played three games this year, and all three have really impressed me. Plenty to like, it will open up so much for us if he comes along.
  • TK and Allen. heck there’s some miserable pricks on here. Well enough to say “they’re playing badly”, because they were both so quiet, but the vitriol and tantrums for two of our clear top 10 (top 5 at everyone’s best?) players is wild. Both massive in the fourth term, absolutely immense. Build from it boys.
  • Trew, attacked it hard and showed the intent that’s made him a top WAFL option. I simply don’t think he has the skills to make it, but he should have played a lot of footy earlier or not got the extra rookie contract to begin with. Did about as much as he could have today.
  • Barrass. Destroyed Daniher and was funny watching him get so sooky about it too.
  • Hunt and Cole had big moments. Hunt looks so much freer at HBF, our wing usage is no good anyway so why waste him there.

Negatives
  • Skills demonstrate how far off the pace we are from the better teams now, but one or two good ball users and some better decisions and things can turn quickly. Out classed today and there’ll be plenty of that until we can add more talent.
  • 1-13 centre clearances at one stage, heck me. Flynn for Bailey with JWill to chop out, please.
  • Just going to call it Australian Footy from now on, because I simply don’t understand the rules. Harris Andrews free on Allen was never a free, so it wasn’t entirely one way traffic, but some of those throws and 50s, compared to identical things at the other end. I just think four umpires and rules on the run make it such a crapshoot week to week. More difficult to grasp what the decision was than ever.
  • Duggan, Brockman injured. Brockman seemed minor so hopefully he gets back in soon.
  • Ginbey, Maric, LEd quiet, Hutch worked into it but ultimately pretty quiet too.

Some nice signs, plenty to work on, lots of list decisions to make. Enjoyed the scrap.

TOM COLE

About as bad as game you will see
Apart from Hough
When Tom Cole is your best medium defender you know we have massive list hole
In medium defenders
Tobie come on down

Luke edward is an interesting case. He isn't as slow as Trew and Culley. His ball use is okay.

It just hasn't clicked for him.

Look Ginbey to HBF is a cop out. Keep persisting him mid. He's not a HBF bunghole.

Trew got decent amount of ball all we can ask for. Harley has a tough game with not ideal disposals but he toughed it out and happy that he willed himself to touch the ball. Every possesion was under pressure due to close checking but happy he kept persisting.

Trew did better then Culley. He was more agile and fast and read the ball better on ground.

Last edited:
Loved Hough, absolutely owned Cameron. Cameron's two goals came from other people.

Barrass is a master, Edwards a very capable AFL standard player and I hope we can get him involved somehow, would hate to see him look for opportunity elsewhere.

Liam Ryan was fantastic, one or two dodgy kicks aside but in general he was everywhere and won so many little one on one battles, was a joy to see.

Reid and Yeo got going, did some dirty work as the game wore on. This aided Kelly in getting more ball as well and the mids looked better as a whole after half time.

Williams tries hard but is undersized as the main ruck.

Midfielder goals from Yeo, Kelly and Luke Edwards is good to see, need that spread in the team.

Jones was quiet after quarter time.

JWill only 66% TOG as the 2nd ruck. I guess this helps keep the forward line shorter by not having him rest there but I feel like it's not ideal to have that setup long term with one player playing such low minutes.

Allen was getting schooled but made his impact from minimal touches.

Much, much better performance. Trew was good - Simmo, you were blinded by who knows what, stubbornness maybe. Give him a chance in the the midfield and what does he do - get 20 possessions. Well done, Trew. Harley 20 too. Kelly a great last quarter. What hurt was our players sometimes being burnt on attack. Got killed in the ruck in the first half, killed in center clearances, but credit to Schoefield, he managed to turn it around, and almost equalled it by the end.
Ryan was good in his 100th game. I like him having bursts in the middle. Today's effort was promising - much more run, being up in that and uncontested possessions. Ryan, again, 9 marks, most in the game. Cole was good - his best game for '24.
I like Schofield as coach.

Much, much better performance. Trew was good - Simmo, you were blinded by who knows what, stubbornness maybe. Give him a chance in the the midfield and what does he do - get 20 possessions. Well done, Trew. Harley 20 too. Kelly a great last quarter. What hurt was our players sometimes being burnt on attack. Got killed in the ruck in the first half, killed in center clearances, but credit to Schoefield, he managed to turn it around, and almost equalled it by the end.
Ryan was good in his 100th game. I like him having bursts in the middle. Today's effort was promising - much more run, being up in that and uncontested possessions. Ryan, again, 9 marks, most in the game. Cole was good - his best game for '24.
I like Schofield as coach.
The only think Schofield did as a coach this game compared to Simmo was play trew (which is still a pretty big deal). The rest was much the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its so frustrating watching young kids run and dash and carry, only for it to end up with a senior player who stops and props. Cripps had a few today, and tom cole shat me to tears turning into tackles twice instead of giving it off. Both led to goals. It wasn't their whole games, but those moments were frustrating as hell. Duggo gets me as well. Love the first 75% of what he does, it just feels like half the time it's straight to an opoo player

Luke edward is an interesting case. He isn't as slow as Trew and Culley. His ball use is okay.

It just hasn't clicked for him.

Look Ginbey to HBF is a cop out. Keep persisting him mid. He's not a HBF bunghole.

Trew got decent amount of ball all we can ask for. Harley has a tough game with not ideal disposals but he toughed it out and happy that he willed himself to touch the ball. Every possesion was under pressure due to close checking but happy he kept persisting.

Trew did better than Culley. He was more agile and fast and read the ball better on ground.
Trew is clearly faster than Ledwards.l

Nice to see kids played in their drafted positions such as Trew and Ginbey as both did well.
Harry Edwards was fantastic today. Great to see first goals for the club from guys like Hutchinson and Brockman.

Overall it was nice to see high levels of intensity and pressure being brought by the team today. That’s what youth brings I guess. :)

The only think Schofield did as a coach this game compared to Simmo was play trew (which is still a pretty big deal). The rest was much the same.

Played Trew as an actual inside mid

Played one smaller in the fwd line and low and behold, we didn't get completely reamed in transition like we have the previous 2 weeks

Had some selection integrity which seems to have filtered through the entire clubs performances

Positives +
  • Great effort from the team. Noticed improved tactics that wasn't there with Simmo.
  • Final term.
  • Reid showing flashes of his awesomeness as always. Hopefully we can help him against Windhager next week coz Lyon will 110% have him tagging Reid from the very first bounce.
  • Yeo and Kelly our best two mids.
  • Hough helped rebound the ball AND completely shut down Charlie Cameron whenever he was on him. Cameron's two goals was from Reid's brain fade and Cole was on him when he kicked his second.
  • Barrass and H.Edwards were solid with the latter doing a decent job against Hipwood in Gov's absence.
  • Ryan moving a lot better and got involved more especially up the ground. Impacted the scoreboard too.
  • Waterman got involved up the ground and made the most of his chances.
  • Hutch was ok and showed glimpses on being the best available MSD. Was really happy when he kicked his first goal.
  • Prime delist candidates Trew and L.Edwards thriving well under a new system built by Schoey. They seemed suppressed with Simmo. If they keep this up then they could potentially get a new contract (one year only).
  • Brockman finally kicking his first AFL goal for West Coast. He looked better in the limited time he's played.
  • J.Williams starting to improve and show some consistency.
  • Hunt seemed to have gotten over his foot issues as he was moving nicely.
  • Maric seemed to be better playing on the wing and chopping out as a third tall to support H.Edwards and Barrass. Used the ball well.

Meh=
=
B.Williams ok in the ruck, however got smashed by Big O and as a result it helped Brisbane get on top of the clearance. Flynn if fit probably was the better matchup against the Big O.
= Allen got shutdown by Harris Andrews in the first three terms but made a comeback in the final term making the most of his chances.
= Cripps was solid but burnt better options.
= Ginbey solid as always wherever he played. But some of those missed tackles made my blood boil.

Negatives -
  • Smashed in clearances in the first three terms.
  • Jones being invisible and not providing enough defensive coverage. I reckon he be better off tagging imo as he's got pace and is a strong tackler).
  • Brockman's injury after activated as a sub.
  • Duggan getting concussed again.
  • Smashed in contested possessions and ground ball gets. Looked like we were second to the ball at times in the first three terms.
  • Cole seemed to burn best options and turn breakaways into momentum crushing tackles.

Final thoughts.

Much better from the team. I noticed that we kept our forwards in play and played a more tighter zone which reduces chip kicks which would've broken the zone as shown in the final matches in Simmo's tenure when the team was smashed -100 in uncontested possession and this week it was +4 in uncontested possessions. Already the team structure looked better without Darling as the team would've been top heavy. With the forwards holding their space, the team was able to score of transitions unlike in previous weeks where they would get sucked up and when the team was ready for a transition, there's no one forward to take advantage of. It looked clear that Schoey had ideas but Simmo refused to implement which would help the club so it was time for him to go. But we got to see Simmo cheering the boys one last time and thank you for the memories with that 2018 flag.

If prime delist candidates Trew and L.Edwards play like this then it'll be a hard decision on who to delist and if Jones keeps playing like that then he becomes more likely to be delisted. I think Jones should be developed as a tagger to help save his career as he's fast and is a strong tackler.

If things go right and the team implements meta tactics that takes advantage of STAND and 666 plus nails it's draft in 2024-26 then the club will contend sooner rather than later.

great to see the effort there and was happy to watch such a game despite the result but the challenge to the incoming coach will be getting this group to being that effort week in, week out.

We haven’t done this for eons but our coaching staff need to teach our players how to put a block on after giving a handball. Reid continually gets burnt by senior players running by when a quick handball and blocking the chasing player will give him a huge amount of time and space to use his superior disposal. Get the ball into the hands of your dangerous players!

Looking forward to getting a preseason into our younger forwards the team needs to supersede Cripps.

Thought Jack Williams looked good and mobile/clean for a big man. Waterman’s work rate and leading was pretty incredible to see but having those three plus archer Reid performing in the beagles is going to cause selection headaches.

Would love to solve the ruck problem long term

Played Trew as an actual inside mid

Played one smaller in the fwd line and low and behold, we didn't get completely reamed in transition like we have the previous 2 weeks

Had some selection integrity which seems to have filtered through the entire clubs performances
How was the team shorter than last week? Not playing a key forward as sub is probably another positive for Schofield hahaha

Nice to see kids played in their drafted positions such as Trew and Ginbey as both did well.
Harry Edwards was fantastic today. Great to see first goals for the club from guys like Hutchinson and Brockman.

Overall it was nice to see high levels of intensity and pressure being brought by the team today. That’s what youth brings I guess. :)
Ginbey played as a back flanker last week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back