Autopsy Round 19, 2024 : Hawks flatten Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Speaking of Geelong and how they have played against Dogs upto halftime now, I can't beleive how we lost to them 2 weeks ago. Today we played much much better. Backline held well and forwards were a nightmare to Pies.
Meek went up another level and midfield group also coming up nicely. Even Chol and Nash did well in ruck. Good times ahead.
No Sicily, no Ginnivan, no Dear.

I still get nightmares from the 2011 prelim.

Probably the loudest crowd I've ever attended.
(sorry this will be my last post on your board)

Yes this is the one time I remember us actually beating Hawthorn in a time that mattered, and honestly I have no idea how we did it. Buddy was on!!

Had a few bad disposals but the Pies couldn't match his physicality. He completely dominated his wing both defensively and offensively. So many powerful runs and breaking past tacklers which opened up space for his teammates.

Fair. Got to be open to recognise the good stuff too. Sometimes the obvious errors mask the good things

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I was stoked when we got him. The hoo ha around his free kicks polarised people and took the focus off his footballing. He’s a kid who has already looked an afl star.

Absolute highway robbery

I get plenty wrong but was right On Ginnivan. Quality player, got him for a steal when he’d have required a first rounder 12 months earlier. That today was the best game of his career.

Last edited:
how much time would've Collingwood A) put into Sicily playing forward and B) playing Maginness on Daicos?? Psyche!

I remember when Malthouse would never tag Sam Mitchell. Good times. Tore them apart every single time. Meanwhile Swan would get 30 useless shanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My key takeaways:
1 - The rain barely affected us. I heard collingwood fans in the crowd complaining about how we still marked and intercepted the ball so well while their players dropped easy marks and missed targets on foot.
2 - Defence to forward transition was amazing. As soon as collingwood missed we were out on the left wing looking to hit moore, ambrosio or watson in the left fwd 50.
3 - Our defence stood well against collingwood. By half time we had held them to a single goal.
4 - Small fwds of bruest, ginnivan, watson, cmac were amazing. cmac and bruest with bags of 4 and ginnivan with bog. Watson didn’t even have a single behind.
5- Watson will be this round’s rising star nom. Kicked 3 and had elite tackling pressure.
6- Collingwood’s season is over and we were the team to bury them.

To borrow a turn of phrase from PJK - that was a victory for the true believers. After sitting through the dreary late Clarko years and the beginnings of this rebuild I’ve sat through some frustrating afternoons/evenings at the G for the better part of a decade now. Holy hell this game was the most fun I’ve had at the footy in a long damn time. Great atmosphere at the game today. Loudly cheering on Ginni every time he had a good moment to rankle the Pies flogs jeering him. Singing the song with gusto. What a fantastic bloody day at the footy.

To borrow a turn of phrase from PJK - that was a victory for the true believers. After sitting through the dreary late Clarko years and the beginnings of this rebuild I’ve sat through some frustrating afternoons/evenings at the G for the better part of a decade now. Holy hell this game was the most fun I’ve had at the footy in a long damn time. Great atmosphere at the game today. Loudly cheering on Ginni every time he had a good moment to rankle the Pies flogs jeering him. Singing the song with gusto. What a fantastic bloody day at the footy.
How much better is it watching a team that is allowed to have fun?
Was so tired of Clarkson's drudgery by the end (respect for what he gave us aside)

Fair. Got to be open to recognise the good stuff too. Sometimes the obvious errors mask the good things

Also he has licence to take the game on. Some of that means when he’s caught out it looks terrible - but that’s what he’s there for to take the risk. Most of the time it comes off it’s just when it doesn’t it’s really obvious.

Unlike say a defender being out of position which sometimes gets lost.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 19, 2024 : Hawks flatten Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back