Autopsy Round 19 Richmond vs GWS - Roast, Toast & Changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Boring game, we seemed to keep them at arms length and only stepped up our game when we needed to, a little flat after the trip west no doubt.

Griff did ok.
Conca...silly angry boy.
Ellis/Cotch/Lids/Rance fantastic.
The rest did well enough.

Outs Conca(susp), Lloyd(not enough def pressure, needs to get fitter)
Ins Grigg, McDon

not sure who else is available from inj list but Grigg has earnt his recall imo.

Need to have a light week on the track to freshen up a bit I think. Looked a bit flat after the WCE slog.... Did enough to win the game but as per usual played in bursts. Basically put the cue in the rack at half time, brought it out again for the last but after 3 mins and 2 goals, knew we'd done enough and put it away again.....

Happy with Griff's game first up in a while. Took some good clunks, competed well in the . Should play the whole season now.

Need to be prepared to run and pressure against the Bombers who love uncontested outside ball, they have good skills and if you give them time, they'll chop you up.

Outs: Conca (susp), Gordon (needs a full game so back to the VFL, not impacting as sub)
Ins: Grigg (I don't want him but he did do a lot of good work on Sat), McDonough

Lucky: Lloyd (he's still a dangerous forward, gives us an option but we do need more out of him). Thomas (so slow but with Conca out he stays to provide grunt)

Imo he actually did impact the game as he was the only player running for us. He helped score 2/3 goals so for me no dropping of Gordo.

I have faith in these 2 and certainly don't agree we wasted them. How can you say this after 18 games?

Just a hunch I guess. I think they're good footballers but don't have anything to make them AFL standard. Don't reckon they'll be around too long.

VFL Stats from Champion Data via Richmond

Grigg 35 disposals 62.9%DE 22 contested possessions 1 mark 14 clearances 7 tackles.
Arnot 24 disposals 66.7%DE 12 contested possessions 4 marks 2 clearances 8 tackles.
Dea 20 disposals 90%DE 6 contested possessions 4 marks 3 I50 5 R50 4 tackles
Knights 20 disposals 60%DE 7 contested possessions 1 mark 3 clearances 7 I50 5 tackles
McDonough 19 disposals 63.2%DE 9 contested possessions 7 marks (2 contested) 1 clearance 3 I50 4 tackles 3.1
Stephenson 18 disposals 66.7%DE 6 contested possessions 8 marks 32 hitouts 4 clearances 7 I50
O'Hanlon 17 disposals 70.6%DE 4 contested possessions 2 marks 2 clearances 4 I50 3 tackles
McIntosh 15 disposals 53.3%DE 7 contested possessions 1 mark 2 I50 1 tackle
Darrou 14 disposals 64.3%DE 0 contested possessions 7 marks 4 R50 2 I50
A.Edwards 13 disposals 76.9%DE 5 contested possessions 4 marks 3 I50 4 SA 3.1
McBean 12 disposals 58.3%DE 9 contested possessions 3 marks(1 contested) 15 hitouts 2 clearances 2 I50 2 tackles 4 goals
Helbig 11 disposals 63.6%DE 5 contested possessions 3 clearances 2 I50 3 tackles
Banfield 9 disposals 77.8%DE 4 contested possessions 2 marks 1 clearance 2 I50 5 tackles 1 goal
Williams 9 disposals 66.7%DE 4 contested possessions 1 mark 2 clearances 4 tackles 1.1
Elton 5 disposals 60%DE 2 contested possessions 3 marks (1 contested) 1 clearance 1 tackle

Based on those the players in line for seniors this week would be:
Grigg
Arnot
Dea
McDonough
Knights

With Arnot in particular this is the sort of game I'd love to see from him at AFL level, but I'm just not sure he has the tank to perform at that level at the higher level. As for Grigg, I'm not expecting that sort of performance when he comes back into the seniors, but I do expect that sort of effort i.e. win disposals, contested ball and clearances and when not in possession work hard to lay tackles. Does that and he earns himself a spot in my best 22 long term. He doesn't and it's McMahon time next year.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 19 Richmond vs GWS - Roast, Toast & Changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back