Autopsy Round 2, 2024: Hawks go to hell

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, we know Melbourne are a good side, and a loss is not unexpected. Unfortunately, the extent of the loss is uncompetitive. Just after half time Sydney only 2 points up on Essendon so maybe last week's loss wasn't as bad as we think.

I don't know, but I just can't help but think we've taken a step backward after some encouraging signs last year.

I read through about 7 pages before i couldnt read any more.

I mentioned before the game that Melbourne's defensive structures are the best in the game. In a lot of ways we got a dose of our own medicine only 10 years ago. Our defensive structures were the envy of the competition. Melbourne were always going to be hard to beat. We had very similar problems last year transitioning the ball.

That wasnt our major problem our Midfield has started this year like they did last year. Our first qtr was diabolical so many weak efforts at tackling just throwing the arm out at someone running by. No intent no thirst for the contest.

Thankfully Twe came out in the second qtr with a lot more grunt. It was our best qtr its the way we should have played the game. We cant sustain that high intensity all game but we dropped off significantly.

Like many have mentioned Finn looks like he will be out of the side next week huss has to come in along with Seamus and or bailey. We need Amon back on the wing

Reeves was the least of our problems you ppl are over looking the fact that Max is the best in the comp and he isnt getting in the votes this week. Yes Reeves was beaten but he wasnt disgraced like Mcevoy was many times.

We will have growing pains in the middle our mids are not ready physically. I read quite a bit about how we r so poor in our tackling in pre season but guess what we wetent facing petracca and oliver in pre season training.

Going by what a lot of u have said about youngsters. You have no bloody patience. Petracca was playing VFL at frenchie and wards age. I know i saw plenty of games for boxhill where he was in it and teally didnt set the world on fire. Just remember the wards and mackenzies are still kids a long way to go. Till they build their bodies to be genuine stars of the AFL.

The outcome of this was predictable after that first qtr. We still need to forge our identity as a team. We came up against a very good side and we faltered we wont be the first or the last

We definitely look like we need a couple more years in the gym.

Petracca just manhandled our players. He completely owned Ginnivan in one contest on our HFF. Should have been a free for Ginni but he just pushed him over with ease.

A bit heartbreaking, isn't it?

A few observations from the ground today:

I know I've said this before but it's a continuous theme. I can't work out what we're trying to do, i.e. what our game plan is. It's evident the players aren't aware of the 'next move in the sequence' when they have the ball.

Mitch Lewis - looks overweight and slowwwwww.

Chol - polarising. Occasionally does some nice things but, seemingly, is scared to use his body - It's INCREDIBLY frustrating. His leading patterns are a huge hindrance; it regularly slowed play up today.

Finn - an average VFL footballer with one trick at AFL level. If we're constructing a premiership side, I just don't see the point persevering.

Nash - well below last year's form. Skills are a concern, again, if we're going to be more than competitive going forward.

Reeves - someone of 213cm just has to be more effective. Seemingly doesn't enjoy body contact. Take a bloody mark Ned.

Sicily - seemingly was involved in every chain of play today. Can't question his endeavor.

Bruest/Gunston - who knows where they're at? The end apparently.

Ginnivan - marvelous addition.

Ward - might only be a solid 'role player'.

It's hard not to compare this side to our dynasty under Clarkson; A-Grade talent was on every line - that's what comprises a top 4/premiership side. In my opinion, our current list isn't even close. Supporters are seemingly content with 'competitive'.

Bottom line, you need elite talent to go the journey. Our list is devoid of players in that category.

Yeah they can sit on Newk and know Worps and Nash disposal isn't dangerous.
Not so much disposal efficiency but getting our hands on the ball. Last week it was Worps or bust from the contest.

This week dees tried to put body on Worps and Nuke to get them out of the way. To give credit to Nash he lifted as the game went on but our other mids couldn’t get their hands on it to draw the opposition to them to create space for our other mids.

A distinct lack of blocking to open space for our mids as well.

It’s utterly amazing to me that posters can spend the days leading up to the game declaring that Gawn will have his way with Reeves and that Gawn will smash us, and then when he doesn’t the first person people want to see dropped, of all the players that failed today, is Gawn’s opponent.
Seriously? That’s not a great take.
Gawn pretty much did have his way with Ned. I like Ned but he was useless today.
Seen the stats?

I’m not saying that he isn’t an important in but he isn’t a 55 point difference either
No player is .

Day gives us is something we dont have when he isnt there

Quite a few teams view him as our best player so that right there says something
When you are young and rebuilding a quality player missing like him stings a lot more than a top side

Seriously? That’s not a great take.
Gawn pretty much did have his way with Ned. I like Ned but he was useless today.
Seen the stats?
If we play Weddle on the wing he can float into the forward line and take those marks. We are wasting his stamina strength down back.

Liked the look of Weddle when he had his forward cameo today. Might be a good option to have a role on Stewart next week?
He was in the ruck when he marked those ones forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read through about 7 pages before i couldnt read any more.

I mentioned before the game that Melbourne's defensive structures are the best in the game. In a lot of ways we got a dose of our own medicine only 10 years ago. Our defensive structures were the envy of the competition. Melbourne were always going to be hard to beat. We had very similar problems last year transitioning the ball.

That wasnt our major problem our Midfield has started this year like they did last year. Our first qtr was diabolical so many weak efforts at tackling just throwing the arm out at someone running by. No intent no thirst for the contest.

Thankfully Twe came out in the second qtr with a lot more grunt. It was our best qtr its the way we should have played the game. We cant sustain that high intensity all game but we dropped off significantly.

Like many have mentioned Finn looks like he will be out of the side next week huss has to come in along with Seamus and or bailey. We need Amon back on the wing

Reeves was the least of our problems you ppl are over looking the fact that Max is the best in the comp and he isnt getting in the votes this week. Yes Reeves was beaten but he wasnt disgraced like Mcevoy was many times.

We will have growing pains in the middle our mids are not ready physically. I read quite a bit about how we r so poor in our tackling in pre season but guess what we wetent facing petracca and oliver in pre season training.

Going by what a lot of u have said about youngsters. You have no bloody patience. Petracca was playing VFL at frenchie and wards age. I know i saw plenty of games for boxhill where he was in it and teally didnt set the world on fire. Just remember the wards and mackenzies are still kids a long way to go. Till they build their bodies to be genuine stars of the AFL.

The outcome of this was predictable after that first qtr. We still need to forge our identity as a team. We came up against a very good side and we faltered we wont be the first or the last
Tactics were shit to start with and it also does not explain our awful decision making and skills through out

The new ruck rule has had an impact on our centre bounce work and we are left in the wrong positions too often, left flat footed too far off the contest too many times. Most of the ruck taps are now all within 2 metres of the ruck contest, ie the toes of the rucks. Yet our blokes seem a lot further out ie 3-5 metres and reaching out in a forward motion, almost falling over as a result.

But the worst bit, with all the chipping around in general play, We are our own worst enemies and kept giving easy turnover goals

Really deflating when easy unpressured possessions result in highway goals down the middle of the ground unopposed. Once, twice, too many times to count

Yes Ward didn't get heaps of it but he seemed to be everywhere.

As someone has mentioned he does a heap of running.
So does Finn . But you still need to play footy and neither are worthy of another game next week

Ward look to have lost a lot of confidence

A bit heartbreaking, isn't it?

A few observations from the ground today:

I know I've said this before but it's a continuous theme. I can't work out what we're trying to do, i.e. what our game plan is. It's evident the players aren't aware of the 'next move in the sequence' when they have the ball.

Mitch Lewis - looks overweight and slowwwwww.

Chol - polarising. Occasionally does some nice things but, seemingly, is scared to use his body - It's INCREDIBLY frustrating. His leading patterns are a huge hindrance; it regularly slowed play up today.

Finn - an average VFL footballer with one trick at AFL level. If we're constructing a premiership side, I just don't see the point persevering.

Nash - well below last year's form. Skills are a concern, again, if we're going to be more than competitive going forward.

Reeves - someone of 213cm just has to be more effective. Seemingly doesn't enjoy body contact. Take a bloody mark Ned.

Sicily - seemingly was involved in every chain of play today. Can't question his endeavor.

Bruest/Gunston - who knows where they're at? The end apparently.

Ginnivan - marvelous addition.

Ward - might only be a solid 'role player'.

It's hard not to compare this side to our dynasty under Clarkson; A-Grade talent was on every line - that's what comprises a top 4/premiership side. In my opinion, our current list isn't even close. Supporters are seemingly content with 'competitive'.

Bottom line, you need elite talent to go the journey. Our list is devoid of players in that category.
I mean hodge and mitchell were nkt world beaters at 20 and 21. Especially Hodge. He became elite like u say later in life. Patience

Newk has gone from someone looking at breaking into AA, to someone that looks like they were Rookie drafted.
I can’t help but think how much impact Nash’s drop of form has hurt. We don’t bat too deep and Nash was a bull in there last year that gave Newk space.
I’m not sure but the last two games Nash has been the biggest disappointment, he is too important to our structure and I don’t think HH can cover what Nash brought to the table last year.
We have to keep playing him and hope he rediscovers that form.

Agreed. Despite the result we were probably the better team for close to two quarters.

We just didn't capitalise and they absolutely smashed us when they had momentum.

Lots of things to like but some big concerns as well.
Agree with this. So much so that at times i thought we may actually come back to snatch a win, but in reality we got utterly smashed in the first and the last. So frustrating not being able to capitalise by kicking straight, as what chance do we have otherwise! Standouts for me today were Mackenize (future captain), Weddle, Amon, Ginnivan and Worpel. Also liked Hardwick's work as a half forward

Worpel, 104 games 25yr 1mth

Moore, 77 games 24 yr 7mth

Nash, 75 games 25yr 7mth

Lewis, 68 games 25 yr 5mth

Newcombe, 53 games 22yr 7mth

Ginnivan, 44 games 21yr 3mth

MacDonald, 43 games 21yr 2mth

Reeves, 40 games 25yr 4mth

Maginness, 34 games 23yr 1mth

Ward, 32 games 20yr 7mth

D'Ambrosio, 18 games 20yr 9mth

Mackenzie, 16 games 20yr 2mth