Review Round 2 versus Richmond, the autopsy

Remove this Banner Ad

you forgot to add their fumbles at crucial times, getting pushed off the ball, over running it, being out of position, getting caught with the ball, failing to kill a contest..........it's endless.

using stats to support your opinion isn't telling the full story.

Yeah obviously those stats don't tell the whole story but I was intending to say was that the youngsters should be excused for fumbles at crucial times, getting pushed off the ball, over running it, being out of position, getting caught with the ball, failing to kill a contest etc because they're young and young players make mistakes like those. It's the more senior players who have made the exact same mistakes yet have had 150 games to correct them that IMO should be most harshly critiqued.

Yeah obviously those stats don't tell the whole story but I was intending to say was that the youngsters should be excused for fumbles at crucial times, getting pushed off the ball, over running it, being out of position, getting caught with the ball, failing to kill a contest etc because they're young and young players make mistakes like those. It's the more senior players who have made the exact same mistakes yet have had 150 games to correct them that IMO should be most harshly critiqued.

mate, they do.

So coaches have a salary cap now?

There is a tax on football department spending. Pert is on record as saying we wont pay it. Bucks has no control over that so blame the person who does.

He had one last season and Ed sacked him.

Ben Dixon played a big part in turning our poor DE around last year then was sacked for his troubles. Much like how Hudson was helping our young rucks and was a good sounding board was then let go after year 1.
Most of it comes back to being to cheap to pay the AFL tax which was designed to pull the big spenders (Pies Hawks Ess Geel Swans WC Adel) inline with the penny pinchers (Dogs Roos Saints). Some of the big spenders just paid the tax to keep the advantage of having a decent footy department others like us flat out refuse to pay it so have cut back footy dep expenditure.

Cut back our scouting network. Only have 3 full timers now. Just about worse place to be under resourced imo.

Cut back development coaches Ruck and skills coach, another poor place to make "cut backs".

Oh but luckily we now have extra dollars to fund our Netball and Womans AFL teams...
Is this a joke? The Collingwood football club is just that a joke if true

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wells and Varcoe - might be able to put 10 games for the season, between them 5 games each

Reid could have been moved forward in the 2nd quarter.

Wells is one of the

Like Brad Hill, Dayne Beams was sent to another state after a rape allegation...

Under Buckley:
Heath Shaw was an A grade defender traded to GWS.
Paul Seedsman, quality wingman kicking goals from 55m traded to Adelaide.
And, there seems to have been little effort to recruit Liam Picken son of Billy Picken who was over looked by Malthouse.

Buckley's Record says it all:
Season Team Games W L
Collingwood 25 17 8
2013 Collingwood 23 14 9
2014 Collingwood 22 11 11
2015 Collingwood 22 10 12
2016 Collingwood 22 9 13
????
2017 Collingwood 22 8 14

Paul Seedsman is a quality wingman?

For me the whole system looks flawed, the players look and play like robots with specific actions and modes for every scenario, there seems to be no actual free thinking in the way they play.
Buckley wants a high possession ball movement style of game, once again this means you are more prone to turnovers especially if your skills are only average, share share and share by hand to achieve bugger all yardage and eventually give it up or allow the opposition defenders to get back because you stuff around with it too much.

Same crap every year and then he goes on the pressers and insults our intelligence by talking more shit and repeating clichés he has used 100 times before!

Nothing changes, our recruiters still serve up workmanlike poorly skilled big hearted teams that aren't quite good enough but oh so brave

Starting with the individuals. Huge props to Grundy and Goldsack for their games. Howe, Treloar and Pendles good too. As I thought WHE does very well when pushed forward so more of that will help the team. And I'd love for us to stop pushing Pendles out of the middle, he went back and forward at times and our clearance numbers suffered from it. Only when he was truly back in the middle in the second half did we start to make gains in that area. Blair and Crisp again with horror games.

The strange thing is our structures are so predictable that the answer to them is just as predictable (push numbers back, catch us on the rebound) so it feels like watching the same game two weeks in a row.

It probably comes down to two options:
1. The game plan is working but it is being killed by our kicking skills and inaccuracy in front of goal
2. The gameplan is flawed and doesn't allow us easy options on the field to kick to or easy kicks at goals

If you're thinking option 1., you're probably looking at where we dominated in general play in the first two rounds, in the midfield against the dogs and overall
scoring shots especially in that first half against Richmond.

I'm leaning towards 2. at this stage. It feels to me that we either have all our team back and have no one to kick it to when we rebound, therefore can't score from chains starting in the D50 like teams do against us and end up trying impossible kicks to no one... or we have all our numbers forward therefore so does the opposition and it creates so much congestion that we end up turning it over and getting caught on the rebound. Adding to this is that our all-team press just gets everyone tired and kicking accuracy definitely would suffer from that in a limited interchange environment.

There's definitely an adjustment to be made and I think it can be made, bu we've now completely changed our game plan two years in a row (last year in the first 6 rounds we were playing our loose zone and spending most of our time with the ball in our defensive 50) and two years in a row it's not looking right from the start and putting an end to our season before it started and we can't underestimate the confidence loss players would have after performances like this.

Let's see how quickly adjustments are made and I think we have to give it another couple of games before we know for sure why we're unsuccessful, but we're certainly looking like a team in need of a fresh change of coaching and culture.

i think the game plan is fine, the stats reflect that. I think our players are fine, previous history suggests we have a skilful side, remember back end of last year we were one of the better users of the ball.
I have a view that our poor execution with ball in hand is a reflection of focus over the preseason. Perhaps more time was spent on physical conditioning as a means to avoid a repeat of previous years where injuries destroyed our hope of playing finals football. Less time spent on skill acquisition might explain the extraordinary failings across the board and from players that are generally elite users of the ball.

It might be the eternal optimist in me, but I back the club and the players to turn it around as early as next week...

i think the game plan is fine, the stats reflect that. I think our players are fine, previous history suggests we have a skilful side, remember back end of last year we were one of the better users of the ball.
I have a view that our poor execution with ball in hand is a reflection of focus over the preseason. Perhaps more time was spent on physical conditioning as a means to avoid a repeat of previous years where injuries destroyed our hope of playing finals football. Less time spent on skill acquisition might explain the extraordinary failings across the board and from players that are generally elite users of the ball.

It might be the eternal optimist in me, but I back the club and the players to turn it around as early as next week...

I have been a pretty harsh critic last few weeks but there is also a lot to like about our games its not all negative.

I just feel a couple of adjustments/moves/selections would of seen us win those games.

The problem in my opinion is that our mids don't take risks. They kick down the line and don't move the ball fast enough. I think if we move Reid into the forward line it would give the mids confidence to take the game on more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 2 versus Richmond, the autopsy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back