Prediction Round 20, 2024 - Changes vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both look promising but obviously the Match Committee don’t rate them. They might need to do a Lawson Humphreys if they want an AFL career.

The same Lawson Humphreys that all the Geelong players say ‘seems to fit in seamlessly or improve each time he goes into a higher level competition’?

Yep, doing that would get them an AFL career.

It’s not just for guys to wait for their turn in the AFL side to have a shot at keeping their careers alive, they can earn it through form also. Never been a better time to put up some good wafl form as it will be rewarded.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don’t have a major problem with the ins or outs, that wasn’t the point of my post.

Wouldn’t mind Chesser playing over LEdwards but, provided he is playing inside mid now that WAFL has resumed off the bye, I can rationalise it.

JJ, Witho out is correct. Petch on a short leash after a terribly quiet game is nice.

I don’t think Trew makes it because his skills are deplorable but nobody can fault his effort so…sure he stays. I’d drop him now and pump games into a Hall or Rawlinson or Johnston but is what it is.

Would probably go a Dewar over Darling or similar change, give us a smaller forward line, but generally our list is currently constructed in a way that several pegs that a square for one reason or another (too old, low ceiling, going to be delisted, played out of position) will find their way into round holes.

Just find it funny that sacking the coach didn’t change the old boys getting a game when I’ve been assured for years it’s solely because Simpson backs them in no matter what. Then the new coach comes in and immediately does the same. Shows where our list depth is at.
The funny thing is none of the old boys who have been named will be retiring at the end of the year either.

cripps, darling & gov have 1 more year.

yeo re-signed for another 3 (1 too many IMO. this will bite us in the arse)

I don’t have a major problem with the ins or outs, that wasn’t the point of my post.

Wouldn’t mind Chesser playing over LEdwards but, provided he is playing inside mid now that WAFL has resumed off the bye, I can rationalise it.

JJ, Witho out is correct. Petch on a short leash after a terribly quiet game is nice.

I don’t think Trew makes it because his skills are deplorable but nobody can fault his effort so…sure he stays. I’d drop him now and pump games into a Hall or Rawlinson or Johnston but is what it is.

Would probably go a Dewar over Darling or similar change, give us a smaller forward line, but generally our list is currently constructed in a way that several pegs that a square for one reason or another (too old, low ceiling, going to be delisted, played out of position) will find their way into round holes.

Just find it funny that sacking the coach didn’t change the old boys getting a game when I’ve been assured for years it’s solely because Simpson backs them in no matter what. Then the new coach comes in and immediately does the same. Shows where our list depth is at.
I blame Nisbett Simpson Gepp.

Witherden out was a no brainer he's been so poor it not funny.
Yeo, waterman and McGovern in are a given.

For the life of me I don't get the darling selection. What has he done to deserve a call up?
Land of the giants forward line again and Freo are just going to run it out of our forward line with ease.
Darling is clearly not the ideal inclusion particularly considering the height of three other members of the forward line.

But he will probably offer a contest and apply more defensive pressure than the other options for the position such as Jones and Petrucelle who don’t do much at all.

He is also dangerous as a forward and good for a goal or two.

Don’t mind his inclusion especially in a high octane game like this. If there was a young player who warranted his position then put them in but I don’t see any, possibly Dewar is unlucky - don’t know why he wasn’t included.

Our forwardline will not stop a single exit in this game. We better hope we mark everything because the dockers will exit faster than we entered the forwardline. Only smalls are Cripps who cant tackle and Ryan who cant be bothered. 4 talls is a terrible tactic. And if its wet, we are even more screwed.

Walters will be at home watching the Olympic Diving for new moves and techniques.

Rumour has it that, growing up, Walters had his bed room wall plastered with Greg Louganis Posters.

download-6.jpg download-4.jpg download-5.jpg

Mostly good ins and outs, but I'd definitely prefer Petch to Darling. Just tell him it doesn't even matter if he gets a kick, but for the love of god, please use your speed to apply some defensive pressure.

Just think it’s funny that Adam Simpson was the sole reason the old cobbers were getting a game, the effort was poor, and we weren’t rocking up ready to play.

Then we go to face a Ross Lyon St Kilda side, put in the worst effort of the century, lose by a margin higher than the Saints average per game, and the response is to bring back the old boys.

Could it be that our list was just paper thin all along and even Schofield (with no incentive to not just blindly back the kids) has arrived at the conclusion that most of them are unplayable too 😮😮😮
So going back to your post re 'the old cobbers' and 'the old boys' and that Simmo was 'the sole reason' blah blah

Specifically, which of Gov, JW, JD and Yeo would you have not selected? Which are not worthy?

And do you consider those being dropped - Witho, JJ and Petch - are they 'old boys' or 'old cobbers'?

Just after some clarity around your OP.

Content with the changes.

Witho-> Gov
Gov is an extra tall, and can play the role Withos been doing all year but better. Good.
JJ-> Waterman
JJ is a spud who has to go, Waterman was always coming in.
Petch-> Darling
A big upgrade on F50 pressure, lost a bit of speed but it is what it is.
Chesser-> Yeo
Hopefully Chesser is going back to play inside mid at WAFL, I sort of suspect that Chesser wouldnt have played if there wasnt a WAFL bye last week. Yeo in always gonna happen.

WAFL bye last week meant the kids didnt have a chance to press their case more. None of them really banging the door down anyway.

3 other talls mean Rotham might get to play a flanker sort of role, being a 3rd tall never suited him. If he gets a couple games to prove he can play as a flanker type then im ok with it.
LEdwards kept his spot, if his only role is to play the sacrificial wing while we have nobody better(Gaff??) then its fine. Hes a better winger than any of our other outs.

Rest of the squad is ok.

I think itll be one of Culley or Rotham to be sub, depending where Ginbey plays mid or def

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see Freo winning the centre clearances and pumping it long and high to our forward line so they can bring it to ground and slingshot through the middle to hit up their forwards standing all alone in the goal square.
Freo by 100+

Just think it’s funny that Adam Simpson was the sole reason the old cobbers were getting a game, the effort was poor, and we weren’t rocking up ready to play.

Then we go to face a Ross Lyon St Kilda side, put in the worst effort of the century, lose by a margin higher than the Saints average per game, and the response is to bring back the old boys.

Could it be that our list was just paper thin all along and even Schofield (with no incentive to not just blindly back the kids) has arrived at the conclusion that most of them are unplayable too 😮😮😮
I think that the damage done to our list (it's is paper thin and only going to get worse before it gets better) morale, attitude, standards and motivations are not going to be fixed in 2 weeks by an interim coach and I don't think anyone ever posted that was going to happen.

Whether or not Simpson was to blame for all of the mess we are in is immaterial as he was responsible at the end of the day for allowing things to progress so badly.

We got a coach sacking performance bump against Brisbane and were competitive now it's down to getting the club fixed with a change of direction.

The fact Schofield has gone back to land of the giants may give an indication that he was a part of the selection process under Simpson that thinks this would work. It hasn't worked this year and I don't think it will this week.

Would love to be proven wrong though.

Crazy Schoey has gone Full Simmo. 😅

On the bright side - no Jamaine Jones - played his last game I reckon.

Petch and Witho would be wondering where they fit too.

Out goes 2 small ‘utilities’, our designated kicker (for better or worse) and whatever the hell Chesser is meant to be, for 2 key forwards, a key defender and an inside mid.

Interesting times.

Absolutely not understanding the Darling inclusion. I mean, I wasn’t ready to put a line through Jack forever certainly didn’t feel like last week’s starving forward line was missing more targets. It doesn’t really make any sense.

A Farewell game maybe…? 🤔

Forwards : Allen, Waterman, Darling, Culley, Hutchinson, Ryan, Cripps
Rucks : Williams and Williams
Mids : Yeo, Kelly, Reid, Maric, LEdwards, Trew
Backs : McGovern, Barrass, HEdwards, Ginbey, Hough, Hunt, Cole
Sub : Rotham

Backline is fine. Retaining Edwards as a tall makes sense given we need to cover all of Treacy, Amiss and Jackson. Bad time of year for Witherden to be getting dropped if he wants to stay on the list

Staying with the Williams boys as rucks is a necessary evil as bringing Flynn back underdone would be too risky even if he might have been handy against Darcy

Mids look inexperienced but at least we've resisted any temptation to bring back Sheed or Gaff. Chesser could be well served playing the rest of the year in the WAFL as an inside mid so his omission is fair. Hall maybe a little stiff to miss but I like that we're giving Trew and Edwards a sustained midfield run so we have the evidence to make a decision on their futures. With Duggan still in concussion protocols we didn't have a lot of other options

Forwards. Gee, we're tall. Jones and Petruccelle arguably deserved to get dropped, Replacing them with Waterman (is fine) and Darling (not so much) is definitely a choice especially when we're retaining Hutchinson and Culley, although they may be given roles further afield. Maybe one of Dewar or Rawlinson could have been brought in to provide forward half pressure

Burgiel picked a bad time to do another hammy as he might have got a run as a half forward this week

Overall, we look a bit unbalanced up forward height wise and it's not a side that screams pace

Preference would be to have Dewar in for either Darling or Culley and I'd have Petruccelle or Hall, maybe even Johnston, as sub in lieu of Rotham.

Posters on Bigfooty when Schofield says he's going to reward WAFL form:

Good News Yes GIF by Bounce

Schofield when he actually rewards WAFL form:

Season 5 No GIF by The Office
Did darling warranty selection based on form?

Darling is clearly not the ideal inclusion particularly considering the height of three other members of the forward line.

But he will probably offer a contest and apply more defensive pressure than the other options for the position such as Jones and Petrucelle who don’t do much at all.

He is also dangerous as a forward and good for a goal or two.

Don’t mind his inclusion especially in a high octane game like this. If there was a young player who warranted his position then put them in but I don’t see any, possibly Dewar is unlucky - don’t know why he wasn’t included.
Yeah dewar was the obvious inclusion in my opinion over darling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back