Autopsy Round 20: Hawks defeated by Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

There were some big positives out of the game, but it's always very disappointing to lose to opposition who don't even play well themselves

A bog average side beats an even more bog average side.
Very few positives other than worps and chad who at least looked like they cared.
Poppy’s cooked, Smith not far behind him and I would very seriously think about godfather offers for Breust and to a lesser extent perhaps, Gunners.
Hanrahan and Nash I don’t think are up to it and we may have to put a fork in Birchall sadly.
Time for Todd Woodbridge at the cricket, where Australia are down 2 nil in the second set. 😬
Gunston did lift in the second half

As disappointing as any game we've played this year. Pretty pi**ed off to be honest. Our leaders really let us down. Liam Shiels was unsighted except for some late stat padding, Stratton dropping simple marks missing 1m handballs...really not good enough, Burgoyne deserved better from our group. I hope Breust is playing injured, because if this is the new normal then for the first time ever I'd love to test his trade currency.

Some of the umpiring was bewildering as well, such as the 80m penalty against Sicily, the holding the ball against O'Meara, but just as frustrating was the non calls, North could basically hold the ball forever and do what they wanted without getting pinged.

On the plus side Worpel, just wow. Lewis still gotta work on his tank, was good in the 1st half, lazy in the 2nd. Rant over.

Edit: Rant back on - I can pinpoint the moment it went to s**t and I knew it at the time, when Garner was able to hold, and hold and hold and then last second pass to Higgins that got their 1st goal. We started drinking our own bathwater after our early start and switched completely off and never got back on.
Breust not for the first time misses shots from 35m out or make the distance, oh but lets just hang the low hanging fruit on here 20/20 vision peeps.

shame Birchall did a Hammy

Wingard played well, Hardwick is just clean, Worpel and JOM killed it in the mid, McEvoy on pace to win the B&F and might poll well in the Brownlow, Gunston showed that when he plays loose he can impact moreso than if he plays KPP, Lewis got his 3 like always, Sicily and Stratton did a lot of good stuff that wont get highlighted, Smiths run was a strength for us in the first half.

i just think overall we just lacked some energy for this week, we've been playing high quality opponents for awhile and playing a taxing defensive structure for awhile that we were likely to have a low energy game eventually.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should make a statement at the selection table, but Hanrahan will be only one who get dropped and underperformers like Stratton & Puopolo will continue to get games. Also they still think Nash is up to AFL standard.
This is what’s frustrating. If Hanrahan gets dropped, I’d be disappointed. Wasn’t his night, but he’s played a handful of games and showed a fair bit in the last quarter, plus delivery inside 50 was terrible after quarter time.

But he’s a forward pocket who didn’t kick a goal, so will probably get axed first.

That was a seriously pissweak effort.
As soon as we were 4 goals up I knew we were in trouble.
It’s the story of our year - get ahead comfortably and then melt, repeat melt, under pressure.

A few players there who have to go back to Box Hill for the rest of the year - and a few who must come up, including Miles.
We need a few goers who must be given a chance.
I just knew we were going to do it as well

I’m a bit of a broken record on this, but a good few would be well served to sit down through the week and watch Chads handball skills. Whether it’s in tight short stuff or spreading to the longest option the ball gets there at pace, flat and on target. Not floaty, pillow handed hospital crap that seems common among others.
Spot on we have many atrocious handballers.

1 lopey handball is the difference between a transition play and goal and a turnover and goal against. Many of the culprits are in the back half. I'd be keeping birch over Stratton, done more on field this year.

Poppy needs to be dropped for walker.

North were well drilled around the clearances I thought... always had a NSEW option for the handball... they were good at hanging 3-5 metres out of the contest... and are ****ing good at getting their arms out of the tackle to handball. Still a putrid meaningless pointless excuse of a football club but they were better tonight for longer. Meh. It means nothing to us, let them delude themselves it matters. We have the longer game to worry about now.

I think 4 of the over 30s we had playing tonight won’t/shouldn’t be back in 2020. Poppy has been a warrior but the game has gone past him, Birch just can’t get his body right, Stratts same as Poppy and Smith looks disinterested at times.

Positives were as others said, Worps, Chad and Lewis. Silk is still a gun, Dimma tried hard and Scully lifted after a quiet first half.

Goldstein absolutely smashed McEvoy tonight in every facet of the game. Higgins made us look pedestrian and a lot of their average players looked like AA tonight.

Pretty disgusting effort given the magnitude of the game for Silk.

I’ve denied a lot of the sentiment over the leaders this year, but this match summed them all up.

- Bar Silk and & McEvoy, there’s no one to inspire the team.
- I thought Stratton might have been better than Roughy, but I feel like he’s offered nothing in the captaincy.
- McEvoy’s injury early on felt like the turning point of the match. Comes back to my first point.
- Fitness was a massive problem, Brown outrunning players was concerning at one point.
- What the hell is wrong with our tackling?!?
- Everyone says it, regardless of the match, but officiating is the worst it’s ever been. Hopefully the AFL pulls their head in for 2020.
- North bring FIFA levels of mediocrity acting. Umpires falling for it even worse.
- Still excited for the future youth. It’s a shame, because if the seniors were better leaders, our team would be way better this year.

Really disappointing overall considering how well we‘ve run against the top teams...

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 20: Hawks defeated by Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back