Autopsy Round 20: Hawks defeated by Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Season ending, or career ending???
What a crap game. Play fantastic in the first quarter but squander some chances then refuse to turn up. Clarko got visibly pi**ed in the second quarter for some pissweak efforts but unfortunately things didn’t improve.

There were three shining lights: Worpel was a colossus, Chad was the spark keeping us in the game and Mitch Lewis keeps looking dangerous. A lesser light was Scully who tried very hard and his raw ability to cover the ground generated us opportunities but was ineffective.

But we had FAR too many passengers. Hanrahan, Nash, Poppy & O’Brien gave us nothing in the forwardline. O’Meara and Sheils had decent stats but no impact. Stratton, Chip and Sicily arguably all had their worst games for the year. Howe had his lack of speed exploited badly. Smith & Hendo had their run and carry limited. Most of our side looked very flat - which is sad because Burgoyne deserves better.

The cherry on s**t sandwich was McEvoy playing with an injured finger and a season ending injury to Birchall.

The past two weeks have been pretty rough.

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

O'Meara needs to be captain next year.
Disagree. JOM has been struggling all season with the added responsibility of having to cover Mitchell. I'd like to see JOM get his game back first when Mitchell is back before labouring him with the added responsibility of the captaincy. BB more deserving and more capable.

Umm Clarko like myself when he smashed the wall could see the writing on the wall as we decided we would play like millionaires instead of doing the basic hard stuff well.

How many times did our players with zero awareness get run down from behind or completely butcher the ball.

Unfortunately we have zero senior leadership on the ground besides McEvoy who really should be our skipper.

1. Stratts fumbles, trips over and when he finally gets it turns it over with poor skills,
2. Gunners runs eveywhere without impacting anything besides a little cameo here and there.
3. Smith is clearly playing away from the action in preparation for a change of scenery next season.
4. Scully has zero body presence and gets brushed aside like a mosquito and to me looks really unfit.
5. Poppy is completely cooked and have no idea why we keep trotting him out every week when a kid could play that small forward role.
6. Jaeger is a real worry with his foot skills and seems to be getting worse at the minute.
7. Breust has become a magician and can somehow disappear on a football ground for huge amounts of time.

Positives-
Wingard-is starting to win some really good ball in tight and once he learns how to connect with our forwards he will be a winner.
Lewis-has some real presence about him
Worpel- Freak
On 5 we could also play Cousins instead of poppy and have a mid going forward (O'meara, Worpel etc..)

it was a shame Lewis misled or slipped over in the last quarter when Chad was flying forw with a solid i50, it would ave been a nice highlight.

Yeah it was a great play and Chad actually had multiple efforts where he willed the ball clear. His skills were sublime. Scully, Worpel and Wingard seemed to be the only players running.

Also Lewis slipped over as he was leading. Commentators missed it.

His skill level and movement is actually levels and levels above Jags.. imagine if his body got that cherry ripe he could move into a more sustained role through the middle.
I reckon he will be fit enough next year to be a mostly mid. And I’m really looking forward to it. Blokes elite.

I’ve tried to defend him but I
Half of forward line (Nash, Hanrahan & Poppy) simply have no scoreboard impact. New blood needed.
n
A bog average side beats an even more bog average side.
Very few positives other than worps and chad who at least looked like they cared.
Poppy’s cooked, Smith not far behind him and I would very seriously think about godfather offers for Breust and to a lesser extent perhaps, Gunners.
Hanrahan and Nash I don’t think are up to it and we may have to put a fork in Birchall sadly.
Time for Todd Woodbridge at the cricket, where Australia are down 2 nil in the second set. 😬
what the f@@k is Woodbridge, an average tennis player and below average compere, doing on the cricket. How the mighty channel 9 has fallen.

Considering this really was the 'season on the line ' game plus a celebration for Silk it's pretty disappointing. You could see Clarko really wanted it.
and that's the main reason I'm disappointed. We came out primed then just faded away...was it umpiring...well screw that..we need to be able to overcome bad calls, but all year we've been unable to rise to the challenge of teams lower than us. the interesting thing is we play well against teams above us, all year.
It's weird. But so is the general state of the game this season.
Lewis. Worps, Wingard, Big boy, Impey and Sicily. That's high level on every line straight through the middle. We can build on that core.

It in no way shape or form was umpiring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need to get Sicily playing the role he was playing in first half of the year.
He has basically been playing negating roles on the bigs the last few weeks and his attacking out put has disappear.

That would mean Brand comes in or O’ Brien goes back. But that would mean someone like Stratton would have to make way

Yeah he gives a ‘vibe’. Hard to explain. Sort of the odd ball but you would be nice to him because you don’t know if he would attack you or not in the street.

Lol what?
Your playing list and supporter base give me a “vibe”. Except it’s easy to explain. Sorta a hills have eyes type thing.

As a second year player Worpel is simply outstanding and has kept improving as the season has gone on. Will be exciting to have him alongside Mitchell next year extracting for JOM.

Chad is showing how exciting he will be for us. One of those guys that can make something from nothing. Such clean hands. His best game for us. Makes you sit up and take notice when he is near it.

Lewis a mixed bag tonight but will be a seriously good player. He is still a baby. Scully kept running and providing an option. Not much else to write home about.

I thought Howe had a disappointing game. Too many poor and slow decisions which would not please the coach. Wouldn't be surprised to see him dropped again.

And defensively Smith is too weak to persist with off half back. Also no use running past for a handball receive and bombing it high to nobody. It's not to advantage and doesn't help transition from defense.

His skill level and movement is actually levels and levels above Jags.. imagine if his body got that cherry ripe he could move into a more sustained role through the middle.
Right now if he plays to his level and plays midfield every week he is our best mid out there. Jaeger does not do what Chad is capable of doing. Has gone past him in a month of footy. That's what I got from tonight. First time I'm getting concerned that Jaeger will be nothing more than a solid B grader. Has lost his acceleration. There was 1 I instant tonight when Simpkin ran past him like he was standing still and you just couldn't picture that happening a few years back.

Nash, Poppy, Hanrahan, Gunston, Bruest, Tim O'Brien and Lewis are not a winning forward line... some are too green, some too old, some out of form... some are just very average. Until that changes it will continue to take a huge team effort from the players and coaches to get any result.

By god we need a small forward that can impact the game so badly...
I think it’s our greatest weakness at the moment and has become such an important part of the modern game..
With Cyril retiring and Poppy slowing down we have limited forward pressure and most importantly don’t get any goals from our small forwards. Nash and Hanrahan just took up space tonight and Wingard plays his best footy up the ground- he isn’t the answer. Need to address it.

Positives were Worpel, wingard and Lewis.
Once north took control of midfield we were cooked, like most games this year. Lack of midfield depth kills us.
Losing the midfield puts more pressure on our zoning defence, and means we bomb it forward too much
8 players over 30, of which only 3 played well. Big offseason coming.

Personally most of our back line are negative defenders, even Sicily has become a negative player. Our only attacking defenders are Impey and Birchall and you probably aren’t seeing them for the rest of the year

Probably why Miles can’t get a game he is attacking defender

You may be onto something here. Certainly the better teams move the ball quickly in transition whereas we seem to take longer to move the ball out of defence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 20: Hawks defeated by Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back