Autopsy Round 21, 2024 : Hawks snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Remove this Banner Ad

If we beat North and Richmond by as much as we beat Collingwood and Adelaide by we could still go above Carlton and/or GWS on % (only needing one of: GWS losing 2 games or Carlton losing to us to happen). Also if St Kilda beat Carlton or Geelong we could go above one of those teams without a huge percentage boost.

It could come down to how much Brisbane and Bulldogs beat GWS by (if they win). It's a crazy season, but if we win next week it's far from over. It's a shame it's not completely in our hands now though, we simply have to beat Carlton.

Would have loved to win this week and given the luxury of a no lose situation next really. Must win next 3 games.

At the end of the day - as disappointing as today is when the game was there to be won GWS too strong that’s why FA is really important if we want to be right at the top next year

Oh man two points. So close, but oh so disappointing. It felt like it was more about the Giants lifting than us choking. We thought we’d done enough but they’re a really good side and they had another gear to shift up into. Very proud of the Hawks today. What a season. Not over yet.

Do the ladder predictor. It’s over.

We win all three and if GWS lose three we can overtake them.

It's going to boil down to percentage.

Not a good place to be when destiny is no longer in your hand.

All is meaningless if we don't win next week.

Small forwards didn’t work hard enough in my opinion. Been drinking a bit too much of their own bath water I think. Love their flair but champions are made when you put in super hard when things aren’t going well. I would like to see how many tackles they laid today, not many I feel

Honestly don't think that game was like the Port one that much. Felt like GWS were controlling most of the game, we just took our opportunities while they didn't.

A gutting result, but the boys have responded each time since the Sydney game – the season isn't over if we win out.

A few too many were below their best to get the win. Also thought something structurally/strategically was off, and Sam being pretty harsh after a solid half-time lead suggests we didn't execute some element(s) of our gameplan properly. That eventually came back to bite us in the last.

Don't think it's as simple as Breust+Gunston = no forward pressure – hardly noticed Wizard, Ginni, Croc and Moore impacting the GWS defenders in that last half.

7 cities in 7 weeks

That does not happen normally

And before muppets through the interstate argument they play the same venue every 2nd week

Meanwhile pies and tigers spend 17 weeks in Melbourne and 15 at the g

Not searching for excuses , but it’s a valid point to no legs in the last

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that was painful. Season over in a quarter. We were never going to win the flag but the disappointing thing is that it’s made our final three games dead rubbers. Next week was set up to be a huge game but there truth is we can’t make finals now. It’s mathematically possible but it would involve Carlton losing to west coast and stkilda which ain’t going to happen.

It’s not though. We can win our remaining three games by 100pts and the likelihood is that we won’t make it.

Do the ladder predictor. It’s over.

It's dead.

GWS will have to lose every game and we will have to win every game or pray West Coast or the Saints beat Carlton. It's not going to happen.

IMG_6180.jpeg
Us winning all 3 against Blues, Tigers and North (W,W,W)

I have GWS winning against Fremantle but losing against Brisbane and the Bulldogs (L,W,L). If you’ve been following along, none of these results would be surprising.

Possible GWS lose their last 3 games against Bris @ Gabba, Freo in Sydney and WB in Ballarat, losing percentage along the way.
Win our last 3 and make up percentage and we're still on.

Also, we go level with Carlton with a win next week. Then it could become a percentage shoot out with them playing WCE and StK and us with Rich and NM.

Not over yet. But what a year it's been so far. We weren't talking like this after Rd 5

Yeah I am extremely worried about Wardy. He looks absolutely terrified of any body contact and lacks pace.

CJ is also a major worry. He has been looked after since coming back from his injury with lots of game time but runs up and down on the spot and fumbles almost everything he goes near.
I rate Wardy, but he was terrible today. CJ is just below average at just about everything. I don’t care that he can run, he constantly fumbles and takes poor options. Is a Sam favourite though, so will stay in.

Don’t think we were trying to protect the lead as much as we looked tired. A lot of heavy Hawthorn feet in that last quarter. Giants have a lot of good runners that stood up late.

Carlton are gettable next but we’ll need to be better for longer.

7 cities in 7 weeks

That does not happen normally

And before muppets through the interstate argument they play the same venue every 2nd week

Meanwhile pies and tigers spend 17 weeks in Melbourne and 15 at the g

Not searching for excuses , but it’s a valid point to no legs in the last
Welcome to the afl. Probably a good reason to not drop 5 straight at the start of the season. Love the hawks but can’t get caught putting the cart before the horse.

Tyranny of being in form and winning is you don't make team changes and reward effort, or create tension for spots.

That changes next week no doubt and we will loose a few and gain a Morrison or so.

A player like Skaife could be the difference in the longer term. Just lack contested marking today.

We've come a long way if we are furious we didn't beat a GWS away in our second road trip in a row. They are an extremely talented side, its not easy just to 'pressure' a side with such relentless run all day, just as it isn't easy to stop us when we are up and running. Was always going to be a huge challenge, they set themselves for this game, and we looked tired after some huge efforts last few weeks after a long season. Some really disappointing moments that cost us, but that is part of the journey and we dust ourselves off and move on.

There is a fine line between having a great week with a spring in my step and eagerly checking every football news source and living in a haze of dread. The Port game and this one have been the difference between playing finals (possibly top 4) and finishing in that no man’s land where you manage to compromise your draft pic without getting any finals experience.
I would say our 0-5 start did that .
From there we have been foot to floor and full throttle chasing the season with no real margin for error ( as far as finals go )

It's tough to do . It's why a good start allows a bad 1/4 and a slip up or two along the way.
Playing constant elimination type games is brutal , we feel just short today but have been remarkably resilient for the most part .

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 21, 2024 : Hawks snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back