Autopsy Round 21, 2024 : Hawks snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously? Massive Playmaker?

Toby Bedford amassed a grand total of 3 kicks and 5 handballs from 84% time on ground.

Not since a Carlton back pocket named Robbert Klomp got the brand new Thorn colour TV from Lou Richards assessing him as BOG in a preseason match against Fitzroy in 1981 has a player contributed so little, yet seemed so influential. 🤣
Thinking of the player with the helmet, I always thinks it’s Bedford.

Is anyone else warming to the idea of giving Scaife a crack next week against the Blues?Kicked four today at Box Hill and physically he looks more than ready to play senior footy.

I feel like we really need a big, physical forward who can take a grab and he fits that criteria perfectly.

Also reckon Morrison has to get a game as substitute again at either Ward or CJs expense and we need to pick one of Gunners and Bruest in the 23 (probably Gunners as he has the better form).

Draw would have been shocking for us. Essendon win is very good. It gives us another team ahead of us that can stumble.
Wash your mouth out with soap young man that sentence should never be uttered under any circumstances.

I’ll say it again, Ward ain’t up to it. Has all the skill in the world but continually struggles to get decent possessions. Doesn’t deserve a game in front of maginess and McKenzie

We desperately need another quality mid who can step up when our primary mids struggle

We obviously need Barass but hate that we will probably give a top ten pick to get him across
Have to agree. At this stage, that is. Has shown improvement and will get better with time.

Seriously? Massive Playmaker?

Toby Bedford amassed a grand total of 3 kicks and 5 handballs from 84% time on ground.

Not since a Carlton back pocket named Robbert Klomp got the brand new Thorn colour TV from Lou Richards assessing him as BOG in a preseason match against Fitzroy in 1981 has a player contributed so little, yet seemed so influential. 🤣
Don’t need your help to feel old hedge. But thanks anyways. 😂

I would love for us to say bye to Tassie and play 4 extra games in Melbourne each year, but the bean counters might think differently considering the 4 mill a year sponsorship with Tassie we have.

That’s a point

But 7 cities in 7 weeks …how often does that happen …aside from covid year would be pretty rare I think

Is anyone else warming to the idea of giving Scaife a crack next week against the Blues?Kicked four today at Box Hill and physically he looks more than ready to play senior footy.

I feel like we really need a big, physical forward who can take a grab and he fits that criteria perfectly.

Also reckon Morrison has to get a game as substitute again at either Ward or CJs expense and we need to pick one of Gunners and Bruest in the 23 (probably Gunners as he has the better form).

They’re not going to debut Scaiffe or McCabe while finals are in play. Lose to Carlton next weekend and I would expect it. He looks like a player. If he contributes it may also be Gunston's death knell.

They’re not going to debut Scaiffe or McCabe while finals are in play. Lose to Carlton next weekend and I would expect it. He looks like a player. If he contributes it may also be Gunston's death knell.
Dears had a very good rookie year but he looks pretty shot right now and I feel like Scaife coming in gives us that extra dimension of size and power down forward that we currently lack.

Will be something the match committee will have a look at I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like many posters on here, it looked to my eye that we never looked like pulling away from GWS all day. Just one of those games…

Newcombe - Fantastic in close and on the burst.
Meek - Really strong game from him.
Day - Seemed like a quiet game to me?
Gunston - Looked like the strategy worked for me. Put aside the four goals - Sam Taylor was a non-event
Small forwards - Apart from Moore, others seemed to have a down game?

It's disappointing to have a loss, but as has been said a few times on this board this year, it's never as good or as bad as it seems. And even though the result wasn't as we'd like, it was a really special one for me. I watched it from a hospital room at the Epworth Freemasons, with my newborn son in my arms. Three years we gave up hope of ever having kids following round after round of unsuccessful IVF treatments, after giving up on that dream and making peace with our lot in life, we were blessed with a miracle. I write this with very little sleep but a ton more perspective.

Somehow the loss doesn't hit as hard today :)

Congratulations on the arrival of your son

All the best we are all happy for you even though we don’t know you personally

They’re 8pts and 7% ahead of us. You’re living in fantasy land to just assume we will make up 7% on them. We should be looking to get Freo’s spot now. They’re two losses from going below us. % not a factor.
Not only do we gain % from (hopefully) smashing the two bottom sides, GWS also lose %, likely having one or both of the Brisbane and Bulldogs games being comfortable losses. 7% over 3 weeks when one team is playing nothing but top 4 quality sides and the other is playing a flakey side from the bottom half of the 8 and the bottom 2 sides is really not that crazy. We literally just made up 8% in 2 weeks without taking into account any lost percentage of other sides.

Yes I agree with this.
We need a gorilla at both ends of the ground.
We don’t have one in the back half but in Scaife, we might have one in the forward half.
Why the hell not, long bombs to Hogan worked, couldn’t hurt with Scaife.
And yes, Harry has earnt a recall.

Tom Green's winning goal from a snap reminded me of magpie Luke Ball's goal in the 2011 prelim against us. Maybe not as heartbreaking.
We came out firing the next year and became arguably the best team through that season.

Watched that in Bali with no sound. All day it looked like we would get done, even when we were up. GWS beat us at our own game. Could have gone either way but GWS were deserving. We looked out on our feet in the last. One more crack at it next week. Let’s go boys.
we looked stuffed at half time - i was worried then - that the travel and getting up for the last few rounds (especially the last 2) had started to tell - then to go defensive at the 7 mins left mark of the last......

Not only do we gain % from (hopefully) smashing the two bottom sides, GWS also lose %, likely having one or both of the Brisbane and Bulldogs games being comfortable losses. 7% over 3 weeks when one team is playing nothing but top 4 quality sides and the other is playing a flakey side from the bottom half of the 8 and the bottom 2 sides is really not that crazy. We literally just made up 8% in 2 weeks without taking into account any lost percentage of other sides.

So many planets have to align for this to happen. In short it won’t. We aren’t passing GWS and after today’s result we probably don’t deserve to. I’m going to focus on Fremantle dropping two as it’s more realistic.

Like many posters on here, it looked to my eye that we never looked like pulling away from GWS all day. Just one of those games…

Newcombe - Fantastic in close and on the burst.
Meek - Really strong game from him.
Day - Seemed like a quiet game to me?
Gunston - Looked like the strategy worked for me. Put aside the four goals - Sam Taylor was a non-event
Small forwards - Apart from Moore, others seemed to have a down game?

It's disappointing to have a loss, but as has been said a few times on this board this year, it's never as good or as bad as it seems. And even though the result wasn't as we'd like, it was a really special one for me. I watched it from a hospital room at the Epworth Freemasons, with my newborn son in my arms. Three years we gave up hope of ever having kids following round after round of unsuccessful IVF treatments, after giving up on that dream and making peace with our lot in life, we were blessed with a miracle. I write this with very little sleep but a ton more perspective.

Somehow the loss doesn't hit as hard today :)
Congratulations on the little one

My wife and I also endured years of failed IVF (9 actually), so I know how hard it can be

We went overseas and were successful with a beautiful baby girl 4 years ago

Again, congratulations

5 goals up at 3 qtr time, with Day, Worpel , Sis & Nash being well held is a very good sign on where we are headed.

Ran out of steam, back to back travel probs hasn’t helped.

Weddle to Hogan was odd to me, learning curve? Frost has been out best defender, deserved 1st crack at Hogan.

Sub must be a hard running quick midfielder, not a small forward not a tall forward not a backman not a ruck.

Amon, Duke , Meek & Mass were very good, gave us a chance to win it.

We will beat Blues we will have to much pace for them on the G.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 21, 2024 : Hawks snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back