Autopsy Round 21, 2024 : Hawks snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s also a strong lesson in not letting your fate rely on the other outcomes.
That's where losing the first five games was such a bummer. Even if we had off snagged just one of those games and say been 1 - 4 we would probably be in the eight right now.

Whatever happens this year we really, really need to deal with these consistent slow starts to the season this pre season. I know we are a team that likes to build into the season but we should be aiming to be at least somewhere near the eight come the mid season break in 2025.

Should have taken the selfie. Titled them “that hurt,” then torn them up in a ‘never again’ moment. From struggle, we conquer. From mistakes, we learn.

Now on to next week and knocking over the Blue baggers.

Let’s say you’re right, we don’t make finals. We are still in a better position than what we were last year. We have improved, where next year there is a huge possibility of us not only making a final, but possibly winning one.

Compare that to both North and West Coast, who have both stagnated.

So we are in a very good spot where our list is. Irregardless of wether we play finals or not this year.

No doubt but this year is a flag that can be pinched for sure. 8th spot could win it. I would have loved to have had the chance to roll the dice.

I felt like after we took Calsher out of the game they really controlled the game from the back half. We needed height down there, even if it was just to take a opposition player out of a pack. Dear didn't have the best game but we looked a lot slower going inside 50 when it was only really Chol we could sit it on the head of.

Disappointing.
Today showed that we need another tall forward and a strong FB. We had to play possession footy in last quarter after they kicked 2 goals.

No doubt but this year is a flag that can be pinched for sure. 8th spot could win it. I would have loved to have had the chance to roll the dice.

Win all our remaining games and we're still in it with a chance.

Regardless of how the season ends, I don't think I've enjoyed footy to this degree before and that's including watching the development years of 05-07. To bounce back from priority pick and failed rebuild discussion after the first month to being one of the form teams in the competition has been a wild ride.

I don't want to make excuses but 6 cities in 6 weeks is nothing short of a failure from the AFL, without even starting on the b2b away games interstate.

If he was good enough to play more minutes in the middle he would but he doesn’t. I personally love Ward but at the moment he just isn’t good enough to play in the guts

11 possessions from a player with a massive tank doesn’t cut it in a game which was there for the taking.
He didn’t get the midfield opportunity he previously did, you have no idea why, stop guessing. The result of his performance was not good but there were many others, you’re doing all this after one bad game, calm down.

The zip and 5 start to the season is now biting us in the arse, nothing to do with us playing badly against a top 6 outfit, we did really well for most of the game. İf the season had started at round 6 , we'd be 11 and 4 and still in rather good form and most likely looking to finish top 4!!! These games happen, it will happen again, but need to keep everything in perspective, the 0-5 start is the only reason we find ourselves in this position outside the 8!
Let's dust it off and get ready to brain the bluuz.

Its really quite funny all the main board dorks who wont pipe up when we win and have been winning now decide to try and lay the boots in and its extremely clear why.

Either get on or jog on

Wont make a difference

Flag hunting 2025

Less than 12 hours more of complaining/grieving about this loss- make the most of it, gents!

Massive game to prepare for, win this, we're in with a shot.

Either way, we win our final three games and our season will be deemed a healthy D+

Was disappointed with loss (especially after blowing 28 point lead) but I'm not as invested in making the 8 as some. Don't get me wrong it would be very nice but I'm not going to lose sleep over it this season. We'll get our lick of the ice cream and I never expected it in 2024 anyway.

Going to be tough game against Blues next week so maybe this loss will act as a good little reset for the team.

2024 season is almost over. 2025 - now that's what I can't wait to get in to.

I’m a bit the same.. this years been all about development and we couldn’t have asked for more.. next year we can start contending.. We’ll get plenty of prime time matches, double ups against the middle six like bombers, blues, pies.. and our young squad will be all the better for this years development..I am excited for what next year has in store.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't believe some of the whingeing going on from some in this thread settle down guys we got over run by a good side who controlled the game for major parts of the game.

We didn't completely stop we still kicked a couple of goals in the last but it looked like we were fatigued. The energy just died in the last qtr and we were just hanging on. This will happen again we will lose to good sides the great thing is we get to pick ourselves up and respond.

Just for a bit of perspective Fremantle also got over run by the bombers on the weekend.

We need to refresh. A couple of new fresh players for some of our young fatigued players. Carlton a big game at the home of football. A big crowd what's not to get excited about. Another chance to showcase our kids

I can't believe some of the whingeing going on from some in this thread settle down guys we got over run by a good side who controlled the game for major parts of the game.

We didn't completely stop we still kicked a couple of goals in the last but it looked like we were fatigued. The energy just died in the last qtr and we were just hanging on. This will happen again we will lose to good sides the great thing is we get to pick ourselves up and respond.

Just for a bit of perspective Fremantle also got over run by the bombers on the weekend.

We need to refresh. A couple of new fresh players for some of our young fatigued players. Carlton a big game at the home of football. A big crowd what's not to get excited about. Another chance to showcase our kids

It may have escaped attention but this was also must win for giants.

Said in the match day thread. Small forwards really struggled today imo - couldn’t lock the ball in and didn’t seem to be near the drop when it mattered in the last.

I only saw last quarter on tv but it looks like giants try to run blocks to enable players to exit d50. We got caught enough times to lose on scoreboard

The first 10 minutes resembled the Geelong game, last quarter the Port game, the stuff in between wasn’t some of our best work but had us in a winning position. There were a lot of Frosty moments that didn’t include Frost. More than half the team would put their hand up that they didn’t contribute like they have.

Last edited:
if we win 14 games our % will be more than 105 %.....it will be closer 108/9%...that's a final birth on their scenario
Thank you, I honestly didn't think that was necessary to actually point out.

Tough loss on the road to a great team, it took them kicking 7.1 in the last to get over us in the 30th minute.

We weren’t at our best and lost, it happens to every team.

Not the end of the world. 100 comments past last weeks win thread already, pretty pathetic stuff from some on here.

I talked about it during the week, but Dear’s inability to last more than 2.5 quarters is hampering us massively. He makes a real impact when he’s on, unfortunately he didn’t even manage 50% game time this week before being subbed off.

Scaife’s turn for a run I reckon.
Yep not doom and gloom at all. Being 28 points up when not playing at our best and away from home, means we got a lot right and our system is resilient to some of our best players being shut out of the game (i.e Day).

We got the tactics wrong in the last quarter, and Sam acknowledged this in the presser about how team standards also include the coaching. Hurts to get stung by the same mistake twice in a year (vs GWS and Port), but that honesty holds us in good stead going forward.

Making Finals this year would be an amazing achievement, but its a bonus on what has been an incredible year of development

Tough loss on the road to a great team, it took them kicking 7.1 in the last to get over us in the 30th minute.

We weren’t at our best and lost, it happens to every team.

Not the end of the world. 100 comments past last weeks win thread already, pretty pathetic stuff from some on here.

I talked about it during the week, but Dear’s inability to last more than 2.5 quarters is hampering us massively. He makes a real impact when he’s on, unfortunately he didn’t even manage 50% game time this week before being subbed off.

Scaife’s turn for a run I reckon.
This is the problem with having very raw players in very important positions on the field. It's part of the pain of development though. We see it when we have MacKenzie in the midfield - awesome when he's on and fresh but when he gets a bit flat his impact drops significantly.

Hmmm, I wonder if we’ll do the Breust/gunston double next week. The need for midfield grunt to control the game is huge. I think we need a sub that boosts the mids.

Hmmm, I wonder if we’ll do the Breust/gunston double next week. The need for midfield grunt to control the game is huge. I think we need a sub that boosts the mids.
Agree, this is why I like Finn as the sub

If needed he could of easily come on and shutdown Daniels/Greene when they were torching us in the mids

Can play wing and an OK forward at times too

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 21, 2024 : Hawks snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back