Autopsy Round 21, 2024 : Hawks snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Remove this Banner Ad

The funny part about this loss, port and even the Collingwood one, is if we play maginess and don’t fluff the sub role we probably win all those games.

So a top 4 chance is lost because we didn’t play another midfield/defender and go in to slow with x,y,z players.

We are definitely setup for the future but it’s still annoying 😭
True, 3 close losses that could have gone the other way if we'd done stuff differently.

But we've also had 3 close wins (WBD, StK, GWS) that could have just as easily been flipped as well if our opponents made similar changes.

True, 3 close losses that could have gone the other way if we'd done stuff differently.

But we've also had 3 close wins (WBD, StK, GWS) that could have just as easily been flipped as well if our opponents made similar changes.
Bodes well for next year, it’s all the little things now

Sorry for the intrusion but that was an interesting listen.

One point I’d raise though is the podcasters constant reference to a more seasoned gws team. We were really young on Sunday, almost a year younger on average.

I really hope you guys can beat Carlton and take their place in the finals
Age and experience are different things. Especially big game experience.

Dear Hawks fans

We lost by 2 points.

Disappointing. Yes.

Is the sky falling? NO

No the sky is not falling. It’s the way we lost. If it had of been neck and neck all day, to and fro …a point here and there. A seven goal capitulation in the last quarter with finals at our fingertips. It’s not the first time this year a game has been decided like this. It’s a cop out to say GWS were better than us. They weren’t. Maybe the coaching was better and should be acknowledged.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No the sky is not falling. It’s the way we lost. If it had of been neck and neck all day, to and fro …a point here and there. A seven goal capitulation in the last quarter with finals at our fingertips. It’s not the first time this year a game has been decided like this. It’s a cop out to say GWS were better than us. They weren’t. Maybe the coaching was better and should be acknowledged.

Rematch the game without the scoreboard. Gws absolutely dominated us most of the day, it was amazing we were 5 goals up

Type of entry is important.
Going shallow to 49m is an inside 50, the next kick would go wide or be rushed then rebounded.
Patently wrong.

We were comfortably in charge of the game for most of the day, and it was clearly our inability to go with them in the last quarter that was the difference.

4th quarter stats:

Daniels - 1 goal, 12 disposals, 3 tackles, 2 goal assists, 6 score involvements
Greene - 2.1 goals, 6 disposals, 5 score involvements
Hogan - 2 goals, 6 disposals, 5 marks, 3 contested

Three players, 5 goals. We held the lead for 111 minutes to 13 minutes. We were ahead on most major stats for 3 quarters. I don't know what game you watched.

The more I reflect on this game the more I'm confused about it.

We left 7 rotations on the board in a hard running match, we only had Moore attend a centre bounce outside of the rucks and our main mids, and he only attended 1. Sam left positions mostly the same, he never really tried to have Day shake the tag up forward, in the backline or otherwise. We didn't see much of Newc in the forward line, Ward in the centre. Sicily wasn't really thrown around as would be expected when we were struggling for a target.

Strange game, strange coaching.

Rematch the game without the scoreboard. Gws absolutely dominated us most of the day, it was amazing we were 5 goals up

If they dominated us then it should have been them up by 29 or so points leading into the last and then should have won by 60 or so points. We were clearly doing something right in stifling their scoring whilst scoring ourselves for three quarters. What happened in the last quarter?

We left 7 rotations on the board in a hard running match, we only had Moore attend a centre bounce outside of the rucks and our main mids, and he only attended 1. Sam left positions mostly the same, he never really tried to have Day shake the tag up forward, in the backline or otherwise. We didn't see much of Newc in the forward line, Ward in the centre. Sicily wasn't really thrown around as would be expected when we were struggling for a target.

Was thinking the same, almost like it’s intentional to see how we react in game?

I felt the last quarter yesterday was a bit different. The Port game looked more tactical to slow the game down. Yesterday looked like we were totally gassed in the last quarter. At one point the giants had the highest pressure rating of the year in the second quarter- and yet somehow we were still ahead.
Again we were in a position to win a game. Where we were after round 5 that is a nice improvement.
That's how I see it. We were flat early and their kicking is all that kept us in it. We fought throughout but many were exhausted by the 4th quarter. It's a long season, they've been playing with finals intensity for 2 months. They'll be better for the run. As goof as our fitness has been, it'll be at another level next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I flew to Canberra with my son for the game. We sat in the 2nd row.

One thing that stood out to me was how big physically the GWS players were compared to us. Mature bodies vs a lot of our kids.

Never felt like we were going to win as just couldn’t kick those couple of goals on the trot to ice the game.

re: Jesse Hogan. Credit to him. He did 30-45 mins of goal shooting practice by himself from all different angles before the game at the end were were sitting (no other players from either side were on the ground then).

Thought Sicily should have been thrown forward as early as the second quarter

Players have to work out how to deal with these problems, Day will be better for having copped his first proper tag. His teammates will be better for it, they’ll learn how to help him out for next time too. The coaches will also be better for it.

Better to learn those lessons now than in a finals, because teams are going to analyse us much more than previously from now on.

This year is still for developing towards success.

Agree re Ward though, I hate that he’s being hung out to dry by not getting a run in the midfield.

Newc was the best midfielder on the field, not sure he was the one to shuffle out.

Considering a lot went wrong, 2 point loss on the road to a top 4 side isn’t too bad.

On the couch saying GWS kicked 5 goals from D50 transition in the last quarter. The 4th most ever conceded in a quarter!!!

Behind goals vision of Whitfield slicing us to bits. Ginni going no where near him.

Damning vision for Ginni in the review.

And shocking coaching to allow Whitfield to do what he liked the whole quarter.

We have to learn from this. Especially the coaching group.

Staggering.
If only we had kept the same sub as the previous two matches.....

I agree but we had a lot of inexperienced kids as well
You were watching a Hawthorn podcast and review of the game ( one of the best out there mind you )

It's not inaccurate to say your a more seasoned side despite age/game averages, that can be skewed .
You guys narrowly missed a GF last year and have been consistently in finals .
We have not . That does count for a bit .

It's also not ignoring that you have plenty of young talent and are a fairly young team either

This isn't correct.

It was an arm wrestle for a lot of the day.
Both teams had periods of control.
We were just far more efficient going forward in the first three quarters, hence the lead.

Probably the only time I was frustrated was when Moorey hit the post late in the second. That was bread and butter for him. We were pretty reliable aside from that.

Gunston and Bruest hit the scoreboard in the 4th term, but offered nothing in the air to prevent the intercept marking game of the Giants defenders, nor any pressure when it was on the deck.
Combine that with Ginni who looked knackered in the second half and we were looking shakey.

I thought the mids held up well, but Daniel's was the difference late. He was just so slippery and clean with ball in hand.

Day and Newcombe in particular tried everything in the final 20 minutes. Day's smother was exceptional. I thought it was going to inspire us to hold on.

The two main things sticking in my mind from the last quarter were the 'mark' to Hogan and the 'insufficient intent' against Josh Ward.
50/50 umpiring decisions that resulted in 2 goals, one directly and one via giving the Giants the ball back when we should have been setting up for a stoppage in our forward half.

Not selecting Finn to sit on Whitfield was a head scratcher.

Guys clocked up nearly 40 disposals the past month.

As soon as i spotted that i knew it will come back and bite.

It did.

Selection errors has cost us some games this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 21, 2024 : Hawks snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back