Autopsy Round 21, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Big positive is that Duggan actually found some confidence and belief in himself with that run with multiple bounces setting up the goal... And then just willed the side over the line... When our other mids were tiring

Negative is the hedwards injury... Although when he was on... He was getting slaughtered... Doesn't seem to be able to keep up on the lead.... Undersized ginbey was good

Oh yeah.... Old song two big ticks... Retro jumper medium tick

For people bitching about Tim Kelly...

He's 30 years old. He's not going to be part of our next premiership tilt. As soon as we have some better prospects in the midfield, he suspect he'll start to transition out of the role.
Until we have better prospects he still needs to contribute to a role

If he isnt willing to block, chase a 2nd time and help Reid and co develop, then we may aswell give Sheed a actual chance at the contest to see if he is willing to do that instead....

We are not too good for that style of footballer. We just have that style of footballer siting infront of us waiting to take on that responsibility. Clay Hall has 3 more years to go on his contract and I do believe he deserves a chance to play. I also believe Tim Kelly is smart enough or capable enough to adjust his game to what im suggesting also and atleast try to change in this manner

Im also certain that Jack Graham can contribute in 2025 but by 2026, Hall should be playing his role. I dont believe in giving 3 year contracts to 1 year options. A simple equation that way
Jack Graham is a good way to stunt our young mids and expose us to brain drain the moment he retires.

Also Darling never got dropped to go focus on his defensive efforts, he got dropped for poor form in general. He was brought back in after we had 0 f50 tackles for an entire match because of his defensive efforts.

He was dropped because JWill is playing better and Darling's not kicking goals or impacting offensively, JWill deserved the spot instead of Darling. They trialled Darling in the ruck for one game and decided against it moving forward which was the right choice.

You can put in all the defensive effort in the world and not be guaranteed of 8 tackles (4 f50) like he had last night, there's a massive amount of luck involved. Freo were better at evading him last week and I wouldn't expect him to get close to those numbers again this season whether he plays with the same intensity or not unless he takes f50 ruck contests which can result in more tackle numbers.

I like his link up play a lot, but he's very dependant on the midfield coming out on top with HBF rebound play so he can get on the lead and not try take massive pack marks. His goals will come from creativity in transition more than they will in the way Waterman creates them with huge clunks.

TLDR - The mixture of talls up forward relies massively on the mids winning it as well as converting a high % of inside 50s to goals (meaning no rebound to make them look slow).

Right but then he didn’t perform against Freo and was retained anyway. Look at the changes thread, we all hated him getting backed in on the back of last week.

I get the concept but it’s a bit revisionist that all we needed to do was drop Jack Darling so that a month later (and on the back of surviving a career worst day at AFL level last week) he’d turn back the clock and rip things up.
How did he go in the wafl?

I don’t disagree with the concept but let’s not forget he threw out an absolutely invisible performance last week on the back of being dropped, and then was retained this week in a decision that unanimously pissed off the entire board.

Wasn’t like he came back from the WAFL yesterday with a new fire in his belly, he was backed in from shocking AFL form as an already surprise inclusion.
You're not wrong, but I think there's some nuance there you gloss over. None of us want players doing their bit to get recalled and then getting dropped after a single game back. If we rode the ups and downs of individual performances half the team would change from week to week. I know you know this already, so maybe you were having a subtle dig at someone and I missed it.

I think the fact that Schofield dropped Darling, and then decided that he liked what was shown in the WAFL enough to bring him back in, is very likely related to JD's performance last night. He hasn't played a game like that since... I dunno, 2018? Maybe that's a coincidence, I don't know. Or maybe he also realised the fabric of space time didn't rip apart when he got dropped and came back feeling less stressed about it all, and simultaneously aware that he can't take his spot for granted.

All I know is that I've been very critical of Darling - I think rightly so - and lo and behold after he finally gets dropped and recalled we get a chance see the guy we've been missing for like 5 years, even if that didn't come straight away.

Right but then he didn’t perform against Freo and was retained anyway. Look at the changes thread, we all hated him getting backed in on the back of last week.

I get the concept but it’s a bit revisionist that all we needed to do was drop Jack Darling so that a month later (and on the back of surviving a career worst day at AFL level last week) he’d turn back the clock and rip things up.
Yeah that's true.
He's definitely performed better last night.

How did he go in the wafl?
Played well, worked his ass off as a backup ruck and forward foil for Archer Reid. Was a seriously impressive game, and even more impressive was the attitude given his extensive history in our AFL side - head down, no sooking.

Then WAFL bye, but he’d earned his recall so played against Freo (albeit for team balance it was a bit of a head scratcher)

Then threw out a possibly the most invisible game of his career. Got retained nonetheless (which was met with criticism, me included, because the balance looked wrong and he hadn’t performed). Then he dropped a best on ground last night after being essentially blindly backed in.

I just don’t think it’s as clear as saying “he got dropped and look what happened”. He got dropped a month ago and if the board picked the team he’d have been dropped again last week after already being given a second chance.

dwanye russell spamming the phrase 'noise of affirmation' is doing my head in fk me

"Noise of affirmation" & Witts puns was the flavour of the evening for Dwayne. Tedious.

Twice a year every year? The Derbies. Or alternate for our home games (or away games)
The royal is too comic book colour/lame for mine, but I realise if put to a vote the royal would blitz navy lovers. The other strip I like in the comp is Carlton, for the same reasons (or tropes).
Anyway it's personal taste, each to their own...
Every second team is navy or black.

Their crowds look too generic

Royal blue pops on field and in crowd - plus all our premierships have been in royal.

I like navy but twice a year is too much - and wouldn't work away v Freo anyway. Just bring it out for retro or other special occasions etc

I'd rather see us wear yellow twice a year at home - dig deep has always been an obvious reason.

I think it helped Darling immensely that for once Charlie Ballard wasn't matched up on him. Last couple games before this he's absolutely schooled Darling and been BOG.

Instead Ballard went to Waterman, huge win for us there, and Collins to Oscar. Those matchups worked well for us.

Cripps was absolutely awful for 90% of the game. It is amazing how he can turn an easy collect off the ground in space into a fumbly 10 touch effort that inevitably ends with him wrapped up in a tackle or rushing his disposal entirely. The end is coming very quickly.

Also damning how easy Dewar can make hitting the schoorboard look compared to Brockman.

Dewar has kicked 3 goals from his 4 games, with 2 of them being the sub. Meanwhile Brockman kicked 1 goal from 10 games, despite being so highly rated and worth trading for 🤷🏼

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a win. Haven't been to a win let alone a good win in 5+ years. It really is the best feeling.

One thing I really liked was how we seemed to actively look to spread from stoppage and through traffic with quick, long handballs.

We kept our shape at stoppage, trusting the ball winner and holding players on the outside.

Positives.
It's incredible how that 5 weeks ago we didn't have any kids apart from reid and long who could play and we were a basket case and the credits in the bank shit ruled. But now in a short 5 weeks we have kids playing like they belong in the AFL.

Ginbey
Reid
Johnston
Hall
Williams
Edwards
Trew

All had great games and played their roles and instead of doom and gloom there is a bright future I reckon.

The older players including darling stepping up.

Duggan...until last night I didn't think he was captain material but he really stepped up and led from the front.

Negatives
It was clear to everyone including blind Freddy that those umpires did everything they could to get gold coast the win.
****ing cheating scumbags so many decisions that were just clear cheating. Most notable the Williams holding free against him.
Bullshit AFL trying to generate their plastic team in the finals.
The free against Jack Williams was absolute bullshit and should have been over ruled by one of the other maggots.
After the resulting goal the idiot umpire was queried by the players why the free kick was paid, he gesticulated with his hand that Williams had them around the Gold Coast player, he was behind and at right angles to the opponent and at no stage has he wrapped his arms around him.
Are umpires drug tested, if not they should be, he must have been hallucinating and seeing things no one else did.
Two of those umps should be banished for the rest of this season to the bush league furthest from Melbourne.

Look, no one in their right mind would ever query Darling’s position in the team if he put in that effort every week. Unfortunately he’s just as likely to go missing next week.

This is what happens every time we win, it’s like every senior player’s past crimes are absolved.
That's where you're wrong.
I was one who thought Darling should be dropped.

Darling won't play like that every game.
Especially at his age.

I was mainly commenting on the fact that people thought Darling should be paid out and moved on, which when you look at our list and see some of the spuds, was ridiculous.

The free against Jack Williams was absolute bullshit and should have been over ruled by one of the other maggots.
After the resulting goal the idiot umpire was queried by the players why the free kick was paid, he gesticulated with his hand that Williams had them around the Gold Coast player, he was behind and at right angles to the opponent and at no stage has he wrapped his arms around him.
Are umpires drug tested, if not they should be, he must have been hallucinating and seeing things no one else did.
Two of those umps should be banished for the rest of this season to the bush league furthest from Melbourne.
Yeah it was absolute bullshit. They were either on drugs or on the take from the AFL to get gc the win.
Also yeo running down the gc player in the last quarter after he literally had 4 steps before getting tackled and no free. Then yeo touches rowell and instant free for holding.
Then reid evades for 2 steps and gets pinged.

Worst display of umpiring and the eagles need to send a please explain to the AFL because it's ****ing disgusting

Think we were lucky that Gold Coast dropped the ball, lots of their forward entries went astray and were turned over to our backline.

Notwithstanding this, I liked how the 'team' played a bit more like a 'team' and made efforts to run for each other and get a 1-2 over the top rather than spectating. The modern game seems to be played quickly with direct run and carry forwards and I think we are showing glimpses of improvement compared to previous years of the slow kick sideways/backwards. Also, the WCE tackle/physical presence was good and nice to see some pressure and intensity.

I think it helped Darling immensely that for once Charlie Ballard wasn't matched up on him. Last couple games before this he's absolutely schooled Darling and been BOG.

Instead Ballard went to Waterman, huge win for us there, and Collins to Oscar. Those matchups worked well for us.

Cripps was absolutely awful for 90% of the game. It is amazing how he can turn an easy collect off the ground in space into a fumbly 10 touch effort that inevitably ends with him wrapped up in a tackle or rushing his disposal entirely. The end is coming very quickly.

Also damning how easy Dewar can make hitting the schoorboard look compared to Brockman.

Dewar has kicked 3 goals from his 4 games, with 2 of them being the sub. Meanwhile Brockman kicked 1 goal from 10 games, despite being so highly rated and worth trading for 🤷🏼
Such a talent we have in the making.

A forwardine including rotations of Ryan, Williams, Allen, dewar, long, reid and waterman is potent.

Get Hewitt fit and firing with more midfield strength will be up and up I reckon.

Zane Trew actually looks like he belongs now also.
Amazing what happens when the kids get a chance

Think we were lucky that Gold Coast dropped the ball, lots of their forward entries went astray and were turned over to our backline.

Notwithstanding this, I liked how the 'team' played a bit more like a 'team' and made efforts to run for each other and get a 1-2 over the top rather than spectating. The modern game seems to be played quickly with direct run and carry forwards and I think we are showing glimpses of improvement compared to previous years of the slow kick sideways/backwards. Also, the WCE tackle/physical presence was good and nice to see some pressure and intensity.
It wasn't a great skills game that's for sure although GC passes inside 50 were pretty good and hard to stop.

GC were lucky with how poor we were throughout the game (skills wise), there were massive howlers everywhere from our guys, often under no pressure.

Fans just want to see that intent there though which is why I liked this game and I liked last round too.

I think a lot of people undervalued last week because they hate the Dockers so much so the loss seems to hurt people more. But overall except for the 3rd quarter last week we were decently competitive with a top 4 team.

Some people just see what they want to see is something i couldnt agree with more. I mean he had 8 clangers last night

Did you see what he does when he misses the first contest. He puts his head down and throws in the towel. Many times last night he missed the contest only to drop his head and console himself before bothering to muster up a jog to get to the next one

He created many holes last night too. Like many here, with Kelly they can only focus on the good and with Sheed they can only focus on the bad. Its a bit to do with sunken cost fallacy that is the Tim Kelly trade a little bit and a bit to do with the fact Sheed just looks more laconic then Kelly does given Sheed is forced to play more outside and out of positoon then Kelly who gets a free run in the guts.

At this stage of our rebuild, we need people willing to crack in defensively and make good decisions with the ball. Kelly does neither and is a great big hole because of it. Id like to see Kelly sacrifice a bit of his game, stop ball hunting every 2 seconds and give Yeo, Reid more of a chance to get some clearances and push the contest forward because in reality both do it better then Kelly does. Without that side to his game, I feel like Kellys days in the midfield are numbered. You cannot sit here and think we are better off with say Reid bursting forward then Kelly or you cannot think we are better with Kelly hunting the clearance then Yeo, who is much better in standing up in a tackle to dish the ball off to someone like Reid who we simply must get the ball in the hands of more

A big part of 2024 off season for me is simple. How do we get Harley Reid 30 possessions a game and make him the focal point of that midfield. Everyone needs to buy into this. Kelly does not strike me as someone who w
The cl on the stats sheet is clearances. You're welcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 21, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back