Autopsy Round 22 = Sydney 89-86 Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Richards can't play half forward better than fumbles Lipinski I'd be staggered.
Agree there’s a role for Richards with us even with Hill, Elliott, McCreery and Schultz as small forwards. No reason we can’t rotate them through the midfield or wing.

I thought Bytel started to show a bit also ..

When we rely on Bytel to finish off a play we open up the margin for error even more. Last quarter, couldn't hit a target with a simple pass inside F50, then missed a simple target with a handball, both occurred in the last 4 mins of the game.
Bytel may get the footy, his usage is crap. There's a reason a non performing club like St Kilda got rid of him...

Calmed down now and shaken off a very frustrating season. Look to the future from here on in. I guess the most disappointing thing for me as an old timer is I don’t find the game itself as enjoyable as I used to due to rule and interpretation changes seemingly every second week. But maybe it’s just age that sees me a bit jaded. I guess the AFL will never survey the people who support the game and provide all the atmosphere. The last two years Collingwood restored my love of the game with the way we played. It will take a bit of motivation to get me interested in the remainder of the season. It will still be Go Pies forever!!!!!
I'm 100% with you on that. I'm 30 yrs old, gone to 100s of matches and used to watch every game every week. I lost that love for the game and 2022/2023 restored it somewhat but the game has gone to farcical levels. I can only stomach 1/2games per week now and after that rort I don't think I'll watch another game for the rest of the year. I'm just grateful I don't have to care anymore in 2024 but yeah my love for the game is becoming more of hate.

Sidebottom had a great game. Not only did he tag Gulden he done well as the first possession mid we’ve missed with Mitchell out. Good coaching by Longmire to move Gulden forward, perhaps we could have released the tag, but I can see why we didn’t at least initially.

J
It's not just a drop off though, it's a deliberate tactic to not score and save the lead force Swans into trying to grind the win out.

It's horrendous mindset coming from last year's attacking one.
We did it all last year. The difference is that teams have watched and learnt from our attacking come from behind mode.

Considering we are the reigning premiers, this season was a poor one. To win a premiership, then fail to make finals, is, lets face it, an absolute disaster.
To have a 4 goal lead, in a vital game, and to then cough it up meekly, just sums us up this season.
Huge decisions to be made by the club in the next few weeks and months with retirements, trading and drafting....
Our season in general l give a 4.5/10, Coaches l give 4/10, and conditioning staff 4.5/10......

Last edited:
Quaynor on a wing, McCreery coming off the defensive side of the centre square. We tried a few things late.

Had repeat opportunities inside forward 50 in the final minutes too, but just couldn’t find any space.

Sidebottom had a great game. Not only did he tag Gulden he done well as the first possession mid we’ve missed with Mitchell out. Good coaching by Longmire to move Gulden forward, perhaps we could have released the tag, but I can see why we didn’t at least initially.

Sidebottom did have a good game, does it save him for another season?
To me, l would thank him for a great career, celebrate him over the next fortnight and send him off in the way he deserves....
2025 is a long way away, and not sure how many good games Sidey has left....

Cox was tackled in the process and surrounded by four Sydney jumpers with no support whatsoever. I don’t know what alternative you think he had? And even then, I think it was a dubious pay and the umpire attributed the intent because of the context of the contest rather than the action itself.

Moore’s decision was absolutely ridiculous though. What the ruck was he thinking.
Moore was tapping the ball across to Cameron but miss hit it.
Definitely not deliberate.

To me, l would thank him for a great career, celebrate him over the next fortnight and send him off in the way he deserves....
Problem is we don't have a lot of other player's to come in and play his role, unlikely we will find anyone in trades and drafts aswell. If we want to go for another premiership next year it isn't the worst idea to keep him on the list for one more year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

J

We did it all last year. The difference is that teams have watched and learnt from our attacking come from behind mode.
Across the competition it’s becoming increasingly difficult to stop a side who switches to a mostly attacking mindset once they have nothing to lose. 6 goals I feel is now the sweet spot to be safe. Obviously the attacking side needs most things to go their way including some luck. The swans got that and more last night.

Huge difference also between this year and last is the way HTB is handled. Cant 'win' ball up after ball this season, we have not adjusted.

To be fair it was brought in to stop us more than any team. And brought in mid season, no less. We spent all pre-season working on in game scenarios and they go and change the rules mid year.

Calmed down now and shaken off a very frustrating season. Look to the future from here on in. I guess the most disappointing thing for me as an old timer is I don’t find the game itself as enjoyable as I used to due to rule and interpretation changes seemingly every second week. But maybe it’s just age that sees me a bit jaded. I guess the AFL will never survey the people who support the game and provide all the atmosphere. The last two years Collingwood restored my love of the game with the way we played. It will take a bit of motivation to get me interested in the remainder of the season. It will still be Go Pies forever!!!!!

Same mate. I've been watching the game since 80s. The rules and things like the "deliberate" out of bounds, holding the ball, things like the 50 meter penalties not paid or paid, just feel...... arbitrary.

Anyway, probably for the best our season is over. Because it would have been illusory to make it, and could paper over the cracks. Some of them were revealed last night:

1. Lack of elite talent.... We have some good players, but probably 2-3 battlers that aren't really up to premiership quality:

Ned Long played pretty well, but he's the Carl Steinfort of the day.

Shultz is a good player, but we'll spend 5 years kicking ourselves for trading out pick 7. And losing Ginnivan. I know a lot of posters here loved this trade, and I was in favour of shultz (mea culpa) but always said, "we should hold on to Ginnivan."

Bytel is mature age isn't he? 27? Is he the future?

2. Coaching issues. The coaches have done a great job in recent years, but now is where they earn their money, not when we're flying. Why can't they develop McGuiness, Macrae, Allan, etc?

Time for a stocktake.

Sidebottom has played some good games and some bad ones this year. One of the commentators said last night if Sidebottom goes around again he needs to be prepared to play some VFL and if he’s happy to do that he should be given another year. For mine he’s going to offer more than a late rookie pick next year and if the strategy is to contend again next year Sidebottom helps us.

There’s common sense and allowance for that for sure.

And many accept that.

However, he has lost his way and the DNA of what he preached when he first came in.

He has become such a safe coach …as evident without we are being overrun in last terms from positions of strength …and from his selections of the types of players.

As part of a midfield mix…Ned Long and Jack Bytel aren’t premiership material or finals damaging material
Even if they had somewhat decent games…you only need to watch the way the play the game to tell you that they don’t fit …and the manager has changed the way we play and setup which has now allowed for these types of limiting players to be playing such prominent and premium roles.

I don’t wanna sit there and bash individuals but it’s just to highlight an example that these types of players aren’t featuring in 22 or 23 and yet they’re holding down premium roles in a side trying to keep its season alive…

We’re kidding ourselves if we are going to support Naicos with Ned Long in a centre bounce or moving on from Jaicos or Sidebottom from wing roles to names like Bytel….

Reef McInnes if given the amount of midfield mins either them have been afforded will produce more output IMO and his talent alone is far higher as a ceiling….

This is what happens when a coach though loses his edge and begins to tighten up …
He has credits in the bank but he has evolved into something that would never have gotten him the job in the first place which is sad.
Hogwash - Long was excellent, and is exactly the body size to block and protect ND. He’s only 21 and will get better. He stepped up massively.
Which other 21yo could shrugg off a Grundy and Parker tackle as easily as he did last night?

reckon we've suffered big time from Leppa's change in role this year.

Fly never was the main man moving the magnets on game day in 2023 ..that was Leppa (and Bolts). it's one of the reasons why he consistently went out of his way praising the coaching crew (and esp Leppa) in 2023
Up in the box, the assistants are usually the ones who will feed info to the coach, suggest moves and then discussions occur. If the coach sees something, he’ll yell out “tell me what’s going on back there and then think of a way to fix it. Come on come on let’s get on it.” No coach is the main man moving the magnets these days.

Can play and has proven it? What against North? Ahahhaha. Probably his only good game all year. Come on mate, we've lost a fuking top 10 pick for this spud. Would love to have that pick back... Absolutely shits himself when the pressure is on.
Rubbish - he’s as hard as a cats head.
There is no question about his endeavor or courage.
Try another angle.

Last edited:
Hogwash - Long was excellent, and is exactly the body size to block and protect ND. He’s only 21 and will get better. He stepped up massively.
Which other 21yo could shrugg off a Grundy and Parker tackle as easily as he did last night?
Lol you don’t get it.
Sure he will get better, maybe Reef or Macrae would get better too if afforded the same luxury under your guise?

I don’t care about shrugging off Grundy, he is a soft big man even in his time with us.

At the end of the day, it’s a massive fall from grace in terms of who we are partnering our bona fide superstar with and it needs correction.

I'd prefer Sidey off half back than Noble next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back