Autopsy Round 22 = Sydney 89-86 Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

We've had the rub of the green in a few matches this season with the umps but definitely did not get it last night.

Having rewatched the last quarter in the cold light of day, with half a dozen beers less under my belt, a few things stood out amid the horror show.

• I think Maynard's shoulder is stuffed again. When he manned the mark for McDonald's goal from right on 50m, he did not so much as raise a hand to add pressure. Considering the kick at goal made it by a metre, this might have made a difference. Surprised me given Maynard's penchant for the 1%ers.
  • Horrible reversal of free kick to Parker from Long. He'd been taken high by Grundy and whistle went and Parker kept attacking him. So Long lashed out and Parker went down with a fair bit of mayo on it. So much for Parker hero stance last year against Dylan Shiel was it? This should have been a ball driven deep inside 50, instead the Swans were away.
  • 50m against Bobby Hill. Whistle went that quickly for a pretty minor indiscretion. Was it the same ump who later denied us what was as clear-cut a 50m penalty as you will see for McStay?
  • Cox can be forgiven a he has missed so much football this year, but he was terrible in the last quarter. Cameron was arguably our best player but when the Swans got on a roll, Mason could not get near it.
  • A wonderful run-down tackle by WHE on McDonald... but then i think he was gassed and kicked it OOF. A goal here would have pretty much shut the gate.
  • The obvious controversial deliberate calls, one after the other. It was all one-way traffic with the umps by then. They are only human but it's frustrating when the mistakes are so glaring, like the McStay one at the end. I guess 50m would have taken him to 15m out or so?

And in summary, again we went with the parking-the-bus (Presti) call, and again it let us down. Our defence (whole ground) is simply not as good as it was when this tactic was working for us in 2022-23. Also, I don't think we were trying to kill games with so much time left on the clock. It's especially dangerous at the SCG where a couple of long kicks take you from one end to the other. A couple of dicey frees here and there, a quick break from centre, and the goals can come quickly.

Anyway, gutted about the result but onwards and upwards in 2025.

Simpletons view of the world? Mate open your eyes. I'll say it again, you're one of the minority and that's OK. You'll concede soon enough (if your ego allows) and realise it has been one of the worst trades in recent times.
If we started making list decisions based on Socials.
  • Murphy, and Cameron would have been delisted
  • McStay wouldn’t have been recruited
  • Pendles, Sidey , WHE and Howe would have been retired
  • the Captaincy would have been stripped from Darcy

Do I need to go on?
Only fools take Socials seriously.

If we started making list decisions based on Socials.
  • Murphy, and Cameron would have been delisted
  • McStay wouldn’t have been recruited
  • Pendles, Sidey , WHE and Howe would have been retired
  • the Captaincy would have been stripped from Darcy

Do I need to go on?
Only fools take Socials seriously.
You're clutching mate.
I get it, you're one of the stubborn ones who doesn't want to concede it was a bad trade. The whole footy world is taking the piss.
You will realise soon enough when he dishes up the same shit performance week in, week out (barring maybe a good game against north). 😂

We've had the rub of the green in a few matches this season with the umps but definitely did not get it last night.

Having rewatched the last quarter in the cold light of day, with half a dozen beers less under my belt, a few things stood out amid the horror show.

• I think Maynard's shoulder is stuffed again. When he manned the mark for McDonald's goal from right on 50m, he did not so much as raise a hand to add pressure. Considering the kick at goal made it by a metre, this might have made a difference. Surprised me given Maynard's penchant for the 1%ers.
  • Horrible reversal of free kick to Parker from Long. He'd been taken high by Grundy and whistle went and Parker kept attacking him. So Long lashed out and Parker went down with a fair bit of mayo on it. So much for Parker hero stance last year against Dylan Shiel was it? This should have been a ball driven deep inside 50, instead the Swans were away.
  • 50m against Bobby Hill. Whistle went that quickly for a pretty minor indiscretion. Was it the same ump who later denied us what was as clear-cut a 50m penalty as you will see for McStay?
  • Cox can be forgiven a he has missed so much football this year, but he was terrible in the last quarter. Cameron was arguably our best player but when the Swans got on a roll, Mason could not get near it.
  • A wonderful run-down tackle by WHE on McDonald... but then i think he was gassed and kicked it OOF. A goal here would have pretty much shut the gate.
  • The obvious controversial deliberate calls, one after the other. It was all one-way traffic with the umps by then. They are only human but it's frustrating when the mistakes are so glaring, like the McStay one at the end. I guess 50m would have taken him to 15m out or so?

And in summary, again we went with the parking-the-bus (Presti) call, and again it let us down. Our defence (whole ground) is simply not as good as it was when this tactic was working for us in 2022-23. Also, I don't think we were trying to kill games with so much time left on the clock. It's especially dangerous at the SCG where a couple of long kicks take you from one end to the other. A couple of dicey frees here and there, a quick break from centre, and the goals can come quickly.

Haven't watched back, but when Mason went into the centre bounces in the last quarter he had a couple of ruck contests that were insipid and allowed them to control the tap zone and led to easy clearances.

I know he could have grabbed the ball out of the ruck and had a quick shot late, when uncontested in our forward 50. But I don't expect quick thinking smart plays from him, so less critical of that.

More hyperbole!
Please tell us all in which round in 2023 we had 16 players on the injury list?

We actually had 19 injured players listed at one stage this year, IIRC, but a couple came off the list at the end of that week and played.

Our injuries have been more numerous, longer lasting, to more senior/better players, and more often consecutively for the latter players, than last season. Than pretty much any of our seasons in recent memory, although under Bucks we had some shocking seasons.

But never forget - injuries are no excuse…

When we rely on Bytel to finish off a play we open up the margin for error even more. Last quarter, couldn't hit a target with a simple pass inside F50, then missed a simple target with a handball, both occurred in the last 4 mins of the game.
Bytel may get the footy, his usage is crap. There's a reason a non performing club like St Kilda got rid of him...
His DE was 72% - you need to find another angle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ll try another angle
Hes a poor shot at goal
He doesn’t have great goal awareness
And he’s slow
He’s not a great kick either
I don’t care if he kicked 600 goals at freo I’m just looking at this year
OMG - you want to completely dismiss his Freo form.
It’s exactly because of that form that proves how much upside he’s got.
Seriously can’t believe how naive your post is.

So? I don’t care that Shultz is a better fit over someone who was never a good fit.

He needs to better the that players already fitting in at Collingwood.
So who is the better one on our list to take his spot - and please don’t say Joey.
He hasn’t got the body to take the punishment that Schultz takes every week.

Last edited:
Looking to next season and beyond, things look pretty dire.

As we all know, half of our best players are over 34. They cannot have much left, and dominant games are behind them.

As midfielders, we have Daicos and DeGoey as topliners, and it falls away pretty quickly then.

The defence looks OK with a Daicos in it, with some coming through who are probably up to it, but no dominators.

We seem to have enough wingers

Small forwards we have aplenty, but good tall ones we have only McStay and the aging Mihocek.

Rucks are good with apparent good backup coming.

Bytel can get the ball, covers the ground well, but is not trusted to run with the ball or to pass it short.

Long is honest but not confident. He is a little slow in his processes in tight.

Richards does great things, but his stature is a worry if he is to play anywhere other than forward.

The draft picks of recent years are not showing a lot. Only McInnes looks up to it so far.

The need is for at least two good big fast midfielders. No idea where they might come from, but without them, last quarters like last night's will be depressingly common.

And there are years of compromised drafts to come, when we will be low on the ladder and looking to rebuild.

So who is the better on our list to take his spot - and please don’t say Joey.
Schultz takes punishment every week because he lacks the finesse on the outside.

We seemed to manage just fine last season without Schultz copping punishment in our forwardline.

You're clutching mate.
I get it, you're one of the stubborn ones who doesn't want to concede it was a bad trade. The whole footy world is taking the piss.
You will realise soon enough when he dishes up the same shit performance week in, week out (barring maybe a good game against north). 😂
I’m clutching?
You’re the one using Social media as the crutch of universal truth.
Like my earlier post proves its completely fickle and out of touch on so many occasions.
But by all means keep worshipping at the alter of Socials - it’s a free Country.

So who is the better on our list to take his spot - and please don’t say Joey.
Really not interested in Schultz at freo

I’m interested in Schultz that cost us the farm to play with us this year
He’s been very underwhelming and I don’t care if people here try and pull the Jedi mind trick that he’s been great
The trade has been a king size flop

Exactly, this is my problem with the team.
It’s not missing finals or losing games, that’s going to happen, it is the carbon copy from week to week on how we lose and approach different moments in games.
And then to have the coach sit up there saying we are taking learnings.
No we are not! we have not learned a thing, and the issue lies in gameplan and how scenarios in games are coached.
I have a problem when other sides, even poor ones, have the ability to bury sides from 4 or 5 goals up on their day but we seem to make heavy weather of everything.
The game style has also seen us go from the highest possession team in the game under Bucks to the third lowest only behind Richmond and North.
That means when you do get it you can’t commit turnovers because you’re not getting the footy enough to cover skill errors.
Maybe it’s asking for too much but if Fly turned around and said, we all bottled it this year, the game-plan needs a real-tweak, the coaching group needs some serious discussion and review and we need to be more ruthless in games then you’d have a level of comfort.
I don’t want to hear cliche lines spewed out that are just empty words, which on evidence the club has been feeding us fans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 22 = Sydney 89-86 Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back