Autopsy Round 22 = Sydney 89-86 Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol you don’t get it.
Sure he will get better, maybe Reef or Macrae would get better too if afforded the same luxury under your guise?

I don’t care about shrugging off Grundy, he is a soft big man even in his time with us.

At the end of the day, it’s a massive fall from grace in terms of who we are partnering our bona fide superstar with and it needs correction.

Macrae had midfield minutes and was soft. He needs to take a massive step to make it. Reef I don't think is a midfielder.

Lol you don’t get it.
Sure he will get better, maybe Reef or Macrae would get better too if afforded the same luxury under your guise?

I don’t care about shrugging off Grundy, he is a soft big man even in his time with us.

At the end of the day, it’s a massive fall from grace in terms of who we are partnering our bona fide superstar with and it needs correction.
Soft - would have been to avoid both Grundy and Parker., and not take them on aggressively.

He was excellent- if you can’t see that then I can’t help you.

The standout, lopsided differential in all the stats was ........

you guessed it....

free kicks - Sydney had 66% of the frees

Nothing like this discrepancy in any of the other match stats

That's why l have no interest in the remainder of the season. Umps have been crap all year, and last night took it to another level.
The scrumps have destroyed the game for me. The bias to the home side last night was horrid. The AFL needs to put together a full review into the umpiring department after this year and make some changes to help improve the standards, because at the moment it's sub par.
I will come back to the year once the finals are done, and the trade and draft periods begin.
Im off to Hong Kong soon, and hopefully this nightmare of a season ends quick. I just hope one of Carlscum or Brisbane don't win the premiership. I wouldn't mind seeing a Freo or Bulldogs get the chocolates this season.
For us, with a tough draw, along with way too many injuries, this season was always going to be tough. We failed the test though, and l thought the coaches hadban ordinary season as well. Maybe too much movement internally with the coaching and football departments to accommodate Wright's sabbatical. That's another disaster the club created this season, for really no reason. The club was better off to thank and wish Wrighty all the best for the future and moved on.
If it aint broke, and it's working, why fix it!!
For me rest Pendles, Howe and WHE for the remainder of the year. Make a decision on the career of Sidey over the next week. I feel he's the most susceptible to the staggered retirements of our veterans, starting this year.
Play Jiath, DeMattia, Smit, Dean, Allan, Richards, Ryan, McInnes, Parker etc in the last fortnight.
Well 2024, what a disaster. Hopefully we can bounce back next year. The relief in knowing our season is officially done, lets us now focus fully on our trading and draft targets....

Moore was tapping the ball across to Cameron but miss hit it.
Definitely not deliberate.
I know the interpretation has changed to insufficient intent, but with how it’s mostly umpired now the AFL should remove any grey and switch to last touch that we have with AFLW.

I know the interpretation has changed to insufficient intent, but with how it’s mostly umpired now the AFL should remove any grey and switch to last touch that we have with AFLW.

Then Joel Amarty, clearly punches the ball towards the boundary and it goes over and no deliberate call. He clearly was aiming for the boundary.
As l said before, the umps and AFL are destroying the game.
There needs to be a review of the umpiring department, and a review of the rules and interpretations at season’s end.

I'll never understand the way players can have a laugh and a chat with the opposition moments after a gut wrenching loss. I thought that last week when Cripps was chatting away with Pendles and a number of other Pie players with a big smile on his dial after last week's loss and some of ours did tonight.

I know he gave his all during the match and he would have been hurting but that behaviour goes beyond good sportsmanship, and I think is a bad look straight after a devastating loss.

Shake their hands, congratulate them- then get off the ground. You can catch up with your opposition mates when the cameras aren't on you. I don't think some of these blokes understand how gutted supporters are when a season ends under such circumstances.
I don’t see an issue with it. The players don’t get to catch up with opposition for a drink after the game anymore so they have a chat and a bit of a laugh about a couple of things after the siren. I don’t think any of that shows a lack of disappointment. The game is done and dusted, let them have that release because they have to move on fairly quickly in a professional sense.

I really don’t have a clue with HTB anymore and many other rules. Often just sit there dumbfounded. Could not explain them to a newcomer to the sport if I tried🥴.
The thing that staggers me with HTB is that it is now 2 rules. One for an upright player tackled.....he doesnt even have to try to get rid of it, whistle blown immediately for a ball up.
The second however, wow is it different. A player on the ground or going to ground can be assaulted and must get it out in some manner of he will be pinged.
It is two totally different rules, I understand its because we dont want players slung to the ground, but its just a crazy mess.

Last edited:
Problem is we don't have a lot of other player's to come in and play his role, unlikely we will find anyone in trades and drafts aswell. If we want to go for another premiership next year it isn't the worst idea to keep him on the list for one more year.

We need to develop players in the off season in that role. We can't be relying on the veterans next year. We need to develop our list otherwise we will be left stagnant in the coming seasons.
Sidey in 2025 may give us 3 or 4 very good games, maybe 3 or 4 solid games, the rest maybe average to poor games...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, but how much longer can we hang onto the veterans?
How many legitimate good to excellent games will we get off a Sidebottom next season, as he gets another year older?
Pendles is the exception to continued excellence...

I'd be keeping Pendles, Sidey and Howe as the old guys. A few tweaks and we'll be contention next year and it maybe Pendles last tilt. I'm ok rolling with it for that reason.

Rubbish - he’s as hard as a cats head.
There is no question about his endeavor or courage.
Try another angle.
I’ll try another angle
Hes a poor shot at goal
He doesn’t have great goal awareness
And he’s slow
He’s not a great kick either
I don’t care if he kicked 600 goals at freo I’m just looking at this year

A postscript to this - surely the manhandling of N Daicos off the ball and prior to the contest is also getting to a similar critical mass. If I were Collingwood I’d be highlighting the off the ball treatment in those umpiring reviews. I’ve not encountered a player scragged without the ball as often as Nick is. To Sydney’s credit, this isn’t a comment arising as a result of his treatment in tonight’s game.
At one point in the last quarter, Adams actually picked up Daicos, off the ground and threw him sideways.
You just shake your head and laugh.

I don’t see an issue with it. The players don’t get to catch up with opposition for a drink after the game anymore so they have a chat and a bit of a laugh about a couple of things after the siren. I don’t think any of that shows a lack of disappointment. The game is done and dusted, let them have that release because they have to move on fairly quickly in a professional sense.
But that's my point. How could you be having a bit of a laugh after a season ending loss in such demoralising circumstances?

It's all a matter of degrees because players do not mingle and have a laugh after a grand final loss. Why?

Then Joel Amarty, clearly punches the ball towards the boundary and it goes over and no deliberate call. He clearly was aiming for the boundary.
As l said before, the umps and AFL are destroying the game.
There needs to be a review of the umpiring department, and a review of the rules and interpretations at season’s end.

Happy to be corrected but there's no deliberate OOB/insufficient intent from a marking contest.

I’ll try another angle
Hes a poor shot at goal
And he’s slow

He's been a good kick for goal every season bar this one. It's weird what he does with the ball in his run up.

Shultz is a good player, but we'll spend 5 years kicking ourselves for trading out pick 7. And losing Ginnivan. I know a lot of posters here loved this trade, and I was in favour of shultz (mea culpa) but always said, "we should hold on to Ginnivan."
Not for first time we gambled on future picks and lost. When the trades were done the expectation was we’d finish top 4 and the hawks bottom 4. Had that occurred the trades would have been:

Pick 15-18 + pick 34 > Schultz

Pick 37-41, pick 69-72 + Ginnivan > pick 19-23

I would’ve been okay with that. As it sits we’re looking:

Pick 8, pick 34 > Schultz

Pick 27, pick 62 + Ginnivan > pick 28

We should have kept it simple and traded last years first for Schultz and demanded more for the contracted Adams (pick 34) and Ginnivan.

I’ll try another angle
Hes a poor shot at goal
And he’s slow

He's not slow. His chunky body gives that impression, but he's quite quick as evidenced by his run down from behind tackles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 22 = Sydney 89-86 Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back