Autopsy Round 22 = Sydney 89-86 Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t get how Longmire wants the grand final venue determined. Given he’s dragged Fagan into it, perhaps the lower finishing club gets to host the gf?
Yes,his attempt to drag Fagan into it was idiotic and nonsensical.But of course the media is too obtuse to even notice it.

McKee couldn't jump, so he just wrestled the other ruckman to negate them a the centre bounce. The AFL bought in the center line to stop it. That was the end of Stunner.

Nice theory Doc but the centre line was instituted in 1982 (by the then VFL) after Peter Moore and Mike Fitzpatrick wrestled their way through the '81 GF.

ah, then what was the rule that finished Stunner?

Nice theory Doc but the centre line was instituted in 1982 (by the then VFL) after Peter Moore and Mike Fitzpatrick wrestled their way through the '81 GF.

At the beginning of 2003, the AFL rules were changed so that rucks must stand at opposite sides and run towards each other. This change affected thump rucks especially as players must now maximise their jump and reach if they are to win the tap.

At the beginning of 2003, the AFL rules were changed so that rucks must stand at opposite sides and run towards each other. This change affected thump rucks especially as players must now maximise their jump and reach if they are to win the tap.
I knew something changed after 2002, when McKee had a pretty good year. Halfway through 2003, he was kaput because of that rule.

Not to mention Dempsey and Moore dragging each other to the ground.

I like the contempt Buckley shows him, at times bordering on passive aggressive. As an example when Corne was having another crack at the dogs this morning. Buckley mentioned their Adelaide record, how Brisbane and Sydney had also had down patches this year and lastly telling Corne he couldn’t have an argument with him and that he should be a coach.

When Cornes is having a crack at the Bulldogs, he is really having a crack at Bevo. Cornes for whatever reason hates Bevo with a passion.

Cornes also hates Richmond. Did they beat him in a milestone game or something?

I knew something changed after 2002, when McKee had a pretty good year. Halfway through 2003, he was kaput because of that rule.
Didn’t Salty Malty muse that we should consider a cardboard cut out ruckman after one of McKee’s poor games?

That bloke really knew how to pot his own.

Poor old Steve McKee
What a combo with guy Richards

Cost us 2007 flag

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And now Longmire is bitching about Collingwood's home ground advantage across the season.
He may be factually right in this particular aspect, but he can hardly complain given Sydney were the AFL's "love child" for SO many years. :rolleyes:
He's not right. The myth of Collingwood's home ground advantage was spewed by Kane Cornes this week as well as Longmire. I saw Swoop Luke created a response to these comments and laid out the facts most of us know. Cornes said we play at the G 17 times each year. It's usually 14. of those 14 we play co-tenants in Richmond, Melbourne and Hawthorn so that rules out any home ground advantage. We also play Essendon and Carlton twice most years and both these clubs play multiple games at the G so the home ground advantage basically applies in our clashes with Port, Adelaide, Freo and the Eagles if and when they play us there.

All of the interstate clubs have a far greater home ground advantage both with crowd support and familiarity with the ground itself. They have this advantage at least 11 times each season as do Geelong. So Cornes was talking out of his skinny backside.

As for Longmire- in many of our MCG clashes the opposition is a big club too with a big supporter base-ie Richmond, Geelong, Carlton and Essendon. That diminishes the influence of the crowd on umpiring decisions as opposed to games at the SCG or Adelaide Oval or the GABBA where the support for the home side is overwhelming.

This all seems like a very astute and accurate analysis to me. I was actually surprised that we managed to hold the Sydney mids for three and a bit quarters. We spent enormous energy reserves in order to do that, which is one reason why I was perplexed that fresh legs weren't introduced earlier??
Add the questionable umpiring in the last quarter to that and it didn't seem like a "choke" to me.
Anyway, it's all history now :pensive: and I thank you for offering your detailed and logical perspective.
I was too overwhelmed by the lack of paragraphs to read what may have been very insightful comments.

So, coaching not having an impact on that? Heh is being coached differently ( obviously ), and has been asked to play a different role than that at freo? roles/ playing style - Things you me and ALL BF have no idea about?

Have no idea about what? Everyone can see what role Schultz is playing. And he's played it at about a 5/10 level for this season. To give up a 1st rounder we would have expected an 8/10 season from him.

It is pretty tiresome to have so many blame Schulz for our situation. many years of good and bad decisions have created this playing list. Most of the people who made those decisions are long gone, and Schulz wasn't one of them.
We are in for a few tough years. The way to cope is not to turn on our players, but to support them as the team is rebuilt.

You can only comment on what has happened this season and Shooter has been underwhelming. No ifs, buts or maybes.

Lets hope he has a Mayney like resurgence and gets a crack at a Grand Final in the coming years.

And now Longmire is bitching about Collingwood's home ground advantage across the season.
He may be factually right in this particular aspect, but he can hardly complain given Sydney were the AFL's "love child" for SO many years. :rolleyes:

The whole home ground thing is laughable considering we share the ground with 4 other teams. How many truly home games do actually get?

Corne continuing to embarrass himself. Stated on sen that we don’t tag and haven’t for years. Multiple people messaged pointing out that Sidebottom did on Friday. Corne that was a wing role not midfield role.

Did the dickhead even watch the game? Gulden and Sidebottom repeatedly started in the centre square and had precisely zero wing minutes.
Cornes is a joke.

He openly admitted to going to the Netball on the day we had the huge comeback against North.

He then ran with story on Classified about how poor we were. The campaigner is a fraud of an expert.

Yeah, we always get a much better rub of the green from the umpires at the G :rolleyes:

Have no idea about what? Everyone can see what role Schultz is playing. And he's played it at about a 5/10 level for this season. To give up a 1st rounder we would have expected an 8/10 season from him.

And there in lies the issue. If your starting point is that his trade cost should guarantee a far superior effort than what his history suggests then he’s never going to achieve that. By most metrics, his season is not far off his 2023 season. I think he’s had a good year and hopefully we’ll see even better in 2025. But I don’t add a weighting because of trade cost.

When Cornes is having a crack at the Bulldogs, he is really having a crack at Bevo. Cornes for whatever reason hates Bevo with a passion.

Cornes also hates Richmond. Did they beat him in a milestone game or something?
They did actually, his 300th and final game in 2015 when he quit to become a firefighter.

Should have stayed there…

yeah ok..richards was destroyed by ottens in 2007 prelim when we lost by 5 points
Went to that game - had our chances to win and would have made a decent fist of it in the GF vs Port.

That prelim was Buckley's last game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 22 = Sydney 89-86 Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back