Autopsy Round 23, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you Andrew Gaff for your effort over the journey.
I will say I am not going to miss your running around the back of people to your right hand side and asking for the footy to then realise that you cant kick on your right so then you shuffle back on to your left, nearly get run down and the kick is a dud. That killed me yesterday.

Watching the game we still have too many what I would call low IQ footy players. They have automated responses to complex/dynamic scenarios.
Its the reason why Harley stands out as he has "get footy...now what's ahead of me" kind of mentality and backs himself to find a solution using the automated responses from the tacklers against themselves.
Bender above mentioned the 2 players going to the ball instead of 1 and the other closing an outlet. If you watch one of our better wins this year we were doing the right thing. So it tells me there is mindset issue with this group that needs to be addressed with accountability measures or different leadership.

We need a change in coaching. I was thinking Schofield could be the guy but with the doubt in the back of my mind that he was part of the process to end up where we did. A good assistant will do what the head coach requires and may offer differing points of view but ultimately will go through with the HC wishes. Thats what I am hoping saved Schofield. Im interested in seeing the team selection next week for the Cats game. Have otherwise enjoyed his selections so far but didn't agree with the Maric dropping nor Gaff getting a full game instead of sub. I know its temporary as he is out the door but that game can mean a lot to young player trying to prove himself and that's where I believe we have been damaging our development the most...not just under Simpson but under Worsfold as well.

Apologies for the coaching babble. The mental side of the game/coaching the game is the most intriguing to me.

Bailey needs to go full Troy Wilson and just smash through blokes.
These lumbering ruckmen have worked out that all you need do is stand in the middle of the circle; get into BWS space; hold him out and do whatever you want with your free hand.
BWS does his bit by coming in early;engaging with these lumbering oxen;and getting pushed around.
-Logic says get a run up, and arrive at the contest when the ball is high.If the ruckman tries to hold you off then drive the knee in.Nothing illegal about delivering a good corkie! Leap is BWS best weapon and by surrendering this, he’s allowing himself to get mauled.
Corkie son! Corkie!

Yesterday was the first time in ages where I've been proper angry and not just apathetic towards this club.

It's absolutely pathetic that since 2020, whenever there has been a whiff of expectation or our 'Best 22' (TM) has lined up we have absolutely shit the bed.

We have become a conditional, selfish, self-satisfied and ultimately demoralised club.

Despite mine and others defence of the club during Covid, it is inarguably clear that we handled it poorly. And fairly or unfairly, that 'woe is me attitude' has poisoned the club.

It was endorsed by Simpson, Nesbitt etc and lived by the playing group.

I am sick of them all and it's time to **** the lot of them off including Schofield - who I don't think deserves any real share of the blame but we're so far past the blame game now.

The culture will not be fixed until the cleanout is complete.

One positive is Gaff. The man has had an excellent career and is one of the few that physically cannot give anymore.

A tough player in the Braun mould. An absolute gut runner who probably sacrificed some longevity by running his opponents and his body into the ground. Tagged from day one, he was dangerous and classy in his day.

And while not a physical player, he never let his slight frame stop him when it was his time to go.

I get a feeling that Dewar, doesn’t pay attention too much at training, ……hold …corral……mark space…

He just plays footy, it’s refreshing and I like it.

Ginbey is one who earlier in the year especially was just over thinking things way too much, had a couple of games where he had the ball in space, and it was like his brain froze.

Yesterday was the first time in ages where I've been proper angry and not just apathetic towards this club.

It's absolutely pathetic that since 2020, whenever there has been a whiff of expectation or our 'Best 22' (TM) has lined up we have absolutely shit the bed.

We have become a conditional, selfish, self-satisfied and ultimately demoralised club.

Despite mine and others defence of the club during Covid, it is inarguably clear that we handled it poorly. And fairly or unfairly, that 'woe is me attitude' has poisoned the club.

It was endorsed by Simpson, Nesbitt etc and lived by the playing group.

I am sick of them all and it's time to **** the lot of them off including Schofield - who I don't think deserves any real share of the blame but we're so far past the blame game now.

The culture will not be fixed until the cleanout is complete.
I no longer know who we are, what we've become, who's to blame, where we're headed, who will get the exit door, who will be coach - it's just a friggin' bermuda triangle of ineptitude and needs a blowtorch right through it. Simmo's at home smiling and counting his money. I really hope Pyke is the man everyone hoped he was, if not, we're in deeper sh*t.
On a positive note, there have been some green shoots, just not enough yet.
Might get to see more preseason...

That was probably the hardest game to sit through for the past few years for me and I was at the North game.

Just goes to show how much a strong dominant midfield means.

We probably had them early but didn't make the most of it and wouldn't you know it, once they started getting on top they made the most of and we went to absolute crap and stayed there.

Not a good way to send of a champ but when do we rise for these games.

And I reckon I've seen 3 shepards for a team mate since 2020.

Oh god this, it infuriates me to no end watching our players dispose of the ball then simply stop as if their job is done.

Lay a block ffs.

It all went downhill when we heard about the “friends, family, flags “ tagline. Excuse me but you’re supposed to be a professional AFL club, so it should be Flags, Family, Friends..
😂
They need to be more hard nosed going forward - the Friends, Family, Flag motto was part of the new Simmo culture change after Woosha's bad boy brigade...and look where we ended up with that = Simmo's credit crew!
What we need now is to revisit F.F.F with FOOTY, FINALS, FLAG!!!

Last edited:
It all went downhill when we heard about the “friends, family, flags “ tagline. Excuse me but you’re supposed to be a professional AFL club, so it should be Flags, Family, Friends..
😂

No, it all went downhill at this moment.

1724052847818.png

What a fantasic next 5 years it'd be for all of us

Hehe, look at Simpsons face, he really had no idea of what was coming.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was probably the hardest game to sit through for the past few years for me and I was at the North game.

Just goes to show how much a strong dominant midfield means.

We probably had them early but didn't make the most of it and wouldn't you know it, once they started getting on top they made the most of and we went to absolute crap and stayed there.

Not a good way to send of a champ but when do we rise for these games.
Carlton were wasteful, couldve been 4 or 5 goals up at quarter time. We were wasteful later so it evens out but we looked in it for all of 10 minutes at the start and that was it.

When basically the entire lost was getting put up for trade on duffs podcast this morning, saot one to cut slack on was Kelly, who he "thought" might be carrying an injury. Any snoops got the tea?

When basically the entire lost was getting put up for trade on duffs podcast this morning, saot one to cut slack on was Kelly, who he "thought" might be carrying an injury. Any snoops got the tea?

Is your keyboard drunk?

One positive is Gaff. The man has had an excellent career and is one of the few that physically cannot give anymore.

A tough player in the Braun mould. An absolute gut runner who probably sacrificed some longevity by running his opponents and his body into the ground. Tagged from day one, he was dangerous and classy in his day.

And while not a physical player, he never let his slight frame stop him when it was his time to go.
Great positivity this post... the toughness Reminds me of the Tom Jonas late hit, little fuzzy bear stood in the hole and got dogged.
Could outrun anyone back in his day. Onya gaffy, cheers for the match winning goal assist last week

Kelly mentioned something about it when he was on coast to coast a few weeks ago

That game was pure filth. This week we’ll get slaughtered but I’d be watchingbit without any emotion. Ah well another shitty year done and dusted

Have you noticed whenever we have equal players with our opponents at a contest - say a 2 v 2, and the opposition gets the ball, both our players will go to pressure the opponent with the ball leaving the other free to receive the handball, which then sucks another of our players to them, which leaves another opponent open further up the ground, then they just pop the ball over the Eagles players all the way towards goal?

And the worst part is the first player to go to the initial contest barely puts any pressure on - it's just some weak-ass corralling and they could've just stayed out on their man and left it to the player already there to tackle them.

F*ck it shits me.
Yep. It is the lazy option so you don't have to chase the one running off.

He's had a knee injury all season, it's why they gave him extra time off with the hip.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 23, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back