Autopsy Round 24, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Schofield's made a couple of decisions lately that would worry me going forward. Ginbey on Cameron was just an absolute howler. Edwards was easily the more obvious pick and showed why later on the game where he even outmarked him. Very odd.

Also, Schofield's lack of love for Maric is concerning. His kicking and vision is head and shoulders above basically anyone in our team. I'm guessing the knock is some of his defensive running isnt great but geez at least he offers us something. Other more senior players are completely in effectual - ie, Cole.
That might have been Tim Gepps call. Isn't he on the match committee ?

The defence can’t be blamed for that first half.There was so much room for the forwards to run to.
The mids/forwards put NO pressure on their runners.”
They were steaming forward in waves with any of three or four players available to take the final pass.Our defenders couldn’t block every avenue.
Absolute disgrace.

I think HR has either been reading a few comments by our armchair experts calling him selfish;
Or.. the club has got in his ear about not taking too much on.
Now he seems caught in two minds , he hesitates, looks sideways, then tries dinky passes .
Take the game on son! Do what you do best.

I think HR has either been reading a few comments by our armchair experts calling him selfish;
Or.. the club has got in his ear about not taking too much on.
Now he seems caught in two minds , he hesitates, looks sideways, then tries dinky passes .
Take the game on son! Do what you do best.
HR9 hopefully should learn a lot from that season.

He’ll have a better tank next year and will know how to pace himself.

He might learn complaining to umps is energy sapping and pointless - and may be counterproductive.

He might learn that a champ doesn’t always have to do the amazing things e.g. sometimes a well placed hand pass might be faster and more effective than three fend offs and a blind turn.

And so on.

I agree in that the "2nd half fightback" needs to have an asterix due to Geelong kicking back and not going as hard as much as us trying harder

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not really, a % boost and they give themselves a much bigger chance of a home final. Currently, it looks like they need to travel.

They clearly eased up. It was noticeable to anyone watching.
I watched the whole thing.

They waltzed through us in the first half, not because they were particularly amazing but because we were literally that bad.

Once we tightened things up, they couldn't just waltz around with it any more.

They could've put the foot down and given themselves the best chance of a home final, so I very much doubt they put the queue in the rack completely.

HR9 hopefully should learn a lot from that season.

He’ll have a better tank next year and will know how to pace himself.

He might learn complaining to umps is energy sapping and pointless - and may be counterproductive.

He might learn that a champ doesn’t always have to do the amazing things e.g. sometimes a well placed hand pass might be faster and more effective than three fend offs and a blind turn.

And so on.
We need to get him a Virginia Venit type to settle him down.

Started watching the replay now to try and take the edge off the high of Freo shitting the bed.

Obviously know the final free kick count. Early scragging of Kelly going uncalled is disgraceful.

When was the last time we had a +18 free kick differential at home? Vics would genuinely lose their minds if we got looked after like that at home.

Edit - Tom Cole conspicuous early in terms of running around like a headless chook and letting Geelong forwards take inside 50 marks unfettered despite his best efforts of appearing to flap about. Need to move on from him quickly next year.

Last edited:
Started watching the replay now to try and take the edge off the high of Freo shitting the bed.

Obviously know the final free kick count. Early scragging of Kelly going uncalled is disgraceful.

When was the last time we had a +18 free kick differential at home? Vics would genuinely lose their minds if we got looked after like that at home.

Edit - Tom Cole conspicuous early in terms of running around like a headless chook and letting Geelong forwards take inside 50 marks unfettered despite his best efforts of appearing to flap about. Need to move on from him quickly next year.

Yep, the free kick count would be the headline story on AFL 360 tomorrow night; "Noise of affirmation at Optus", followed by an 8 minute tear-filled monologue by Gerard Whately, an announcement of a 25 year extension of the MCG GF contract, a guest spot from Laura Kane, and a burning effigy of Rick the Rock.

Was chuffed with Hutch to the mids and his game overall, all except his handballing.

It was absolute trash, really made a few teammates work for what should've been an easy posession. I'm not sure what it was.. perhaps too hard and flat to their waist or something?

Certainly not alone there, but to me it seemed like technique rather than him panicking or something. Hopefully a pre season helps with that.
Yeah nah

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree in that the "2nd half fightback" needs to have an asterix due to Geelong kicking back and not going as hard as much as us trying harder

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Teams can't go 100% flat out all game.

But yes, a couple of soft tissue injuries and the Cats backed off in the 2nd half.

This is Tom Cole in a nutshell and has been for the better part of three years. However, whilst I'm not his biggest fan, I do feel that it is, at least in part, a defensive structuring issue. Our defenders have been directed to guard grass since 2018, despite it routinely not working for us.

You can set your watch to the fact that guys like Tom Cole and Rotham will routinely be 5-10m off their player and fast ball movement sees them continuously scrambling as hard as they can to recover that distance, in most cases unsuccessfully.

I like Tom Cole in the efforts that he gives. Not the smartest or most skillful player but if he's the worst or second worst defender in your team, there's probably a role there for him unless you're contending for a premiership with a stacked defence.

We just need to get to the point where he's actually playing defence instead of just sitting 5-10m off opponents because it allows him better opportunity to run off and look good attacking when there's an opportunity for a handball receive.

We need harder defenders, like Hough, who can play the body and beat their opponent in doing so, but then use intelligence and work rate to either intercept or provide attacking run.

If you want to play loose goosey defence you better be damn sure you're offsetting that with an upside of attacking run or disposal that is directly leading to goals and Cole and Rotham aren't that so they should be playing tighter on their opponent and if they can't because they get outbodied, they should be getting replaced.

I watched the whole thing.

They waltzed through us in the first half, not because they were particularly amazing but because we were literally that bad.

Once we tightened things up, they couldn't just waltz around with it any more.

They could've put the foot down and given themselves the best chance of a home final, so I very much doubt they put the queue in the rack completely.

Cats coach said they backed off after half time with two soft tissue injuries.

Cats coach said they backed off after half time with two soft tissue injuries.

Of course he would.

He also said mission accomplished after they lost a QF.

We were far better in second half without question. They certainly dropped off but it wasn’t all just because of them no longer trying. They had plenty of players trying to ensure a spot in the finals.

To be honest hard to see them getting near Port, although say what you like about the Cats they aren’t chokers. Port on the other hand…

Fortunately didn't get to watch this game live. Went back and watched the second half only on replay for obvious reasons.

Lots of positives to take out of it, Geelong most likely took the foot off the pedal, but our younger guys all stood up at times.

Young Players.
  • Dewar looks a real player. So skillful and reminds me a lot of Lewis Jetta. We need pace and skill of half back, but also need some small forwards.
  • Harvey Johnston, very much the same as Dewar. Physically isn't up to the level yet, but excited to see what he can do next year with a strong pre season. Hopefully we see Brady Hough like body transformation. He is a natural footballer, who is clean and makes good decisons.
  • Jack Williams showed in the last 8-10 weeks that he needs to be our second ruck/3rd tall moving forward.
  • Maric behind the ball looks nice. Looked a little lost, but we should be training him there all pre season.
  • Bazzo, considering how much footy he has missed the last two seasons, I thought he looked okay in the second half. A few intercept possessions and was clean under pressure.
  • Chesser, is a hard watch at times, but also does 3 or 4 really good things a game. His run and carry could be a real weapon. I think he needs to play half back, similar to Max Holmes in that he needs to run at the game and use his weapons.
  • Hall, second half was pretty good. Kicking is poor which is a real worry. Some of it could be getting used to the pace, rushed himself a few times and blazed away. Needs to spend all pre season improving his skills, but showed he could find the ball.
  • Ginbey, wasn't his best performance, but had a strong back end of the season and played every game. Will only get better.
  • Hutchison, showed why the MC have persisted with him. Is a natural competitor. Feel like he could be our two way midfielder who defends and tackles super hard, can win the tough ball and also get involved offensively.
  • Harry Edwards. Has shown so much improvement in the second half of the year. Can start to build our backline around him.
  • Harley - enough said.
  • Hough, we know what he brings. Hope his injury is okay.

All of these boys should take a little confidence out of today as all have shown they have potential to be up to AFL level. Every single one of them should be pushing for a round 1 spot next year and along with Elijah Hewett, Noah Long and 5 or 6 fresh draftees, need to be the drivers of our rebuild.

Wow, really didn't think Geelong needed the leg up they got from the umpires.
Multiple incorrect disposals not given, constant holding off the ball not paid one way but anything close to a hold paid the other way.
As a game it was a disappointing way to end the season on top of the Carlton thrashing.
But,
We could have easily just pulled up stumps finishing with 5 or 6 goals and a 120+ point loss.
Instead we battled on and won the second half posting a half decent score.
Geelong may have taken the foot off the gas but they kept coming and definitely didn't just roll over.

Season done. Got another year into the young guys and the first year players now know what it takes to compete at AFL level.
Another preseason into these guys will do wonders. Hutch having a proper AFL preseason will do wonders for his strength and fitness so he could actually be a revelation next year. Will he be eligible for rising star? Should be i think.

Anyway I guess it's go Hawks, hang on no I want them to have a better draft pick to give us for Barrass. Guess it's go umm, ahhh, mmmmm. Perth Scorchers 😁😁

I was waiting for you to pop up with your highlights actually.

Good to see, not nearly as bad as i initially thought.
Dank Shanks with yet another retraction on here. What an icon. :rainbow::fire:

Dewar’s field kicking, and in fact even his goal kicking, was a definite positive on an otherwise dire day.

The way he picked up the mung kick from Kelly effortlessly and then just slotted a drop punt from 45m across the body was nearly as impressive as his last quarter stoppage goal in the North game. That was also an exquisite drop punt which was from slightly further out too.

Of course he would.

He also said mission accomplished after they lost a QF.

We were far better in second half without question. They certainly dropped off but it wasn’t all just because of them no longer trying. They had plenty of players trying to ensure a spot in the finals.

To be honest hard to see them getting near Port, although say what you like about the Cats they aren’t chokers. Port on the other hand…

I think Geelong will destroy port due to Port's injuries and suspension to Houston.

Dewar’s field kicking, and in fact even his goal kicking, was a definite positive on an otherwise dire day.

The way he picked up the mung kick from Kelly effortlessly and then just slotted a drop punt from 45m across the body was nearly as impressive as his last quarter stoppage goal in the North game. That was also an exquisite drop punt which was from slightly further out too.

Exquisite first goal too, am I right?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 24, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back