Autopsy Round 3, 2024 :Hawks fail against Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Some strong performances from Worpel, Frenchie, Frost, Chol, Meek and Watson. Second half Nash and Newk were much better.

Frustrating because we could’ve given ourselves a chance to win if not for the poor 15 mins in the first.

Sick of the maggots umpiring with two sets of rules. Killed our momentum today in the first and the third quarters. The club needs to kick up a stink like the Scott brothers or Ross Lyon would if their team copped that bullshit. The refusal to call high tackles on Ginnivan but paying ones where Geelong blokes fall into our legs was ridiculous. I’m glad BT and Hodge said something.

Bruest and a couple of others need a spell. Butler surely gets a chance next week.

Good fight back after quarter time.

Horrible first quarter.

Great to see Worpel and Frost have great games.

Horrible umpiring - especially of Ginnivan. Hawks must ask the AFL to explain.
Worpel was good, but lost his man plenty of times at clearances that led to cats goals.

Butler should be a straight in for Punky. Sends the right message that any player is vulnerable to good performances in the magoos.

And Butler has been playing extremely well in the twos - good link up play, good pressure and end product.

Hardly think Breust is most at risk, but think it might do him good to get some touch at Box Hill too

Phenomenal game from Watto. Only the one goal and 16 touches but was magic. Really excited for the future.
Watto copping some bashing in the match day thread was unbelievable to me.
Kid was one of our best field kicks and set up so much of our forward 50 movement.
Watch him spark over the coming weeks!

Absolutely the club has to demand a ‘please explain’. Not only for Ginni but for the team. I’m sure they missed some for the Cats too but that was pathetic umpiring. Even BT and Kingy calling it out.

Edit: Post #33 too, make it so.

Last edited:
Pretty disappointing margin in the end, won i50s by 10 and clearances by 10 and still got done by 40.

Bad start to the season again, would be nice to get some of our wins early and have the season alive for more than 4 weeks a season, pretty disheartening.

Pretty happy with Watson, chol, frost and Worpel today. Thought meek was OK. Impey Lewis and breust very disappointing.

That could have been much, much worse.
Worps awesome, his doubters can STFU.
Nash's best game for the year so far.
Chol good.
Frost played an un-Frosty-like game.
Duke just starting to find some form.
Only one fewer scoring shots.
Should have been closer, we played much better than a 6 goal defeat

As mentioned in the game day thread.

Probably 10 minutes of the day dedicated to Ginnivan not getting high free kicks and Joel Selwood on special comments has zero. ZERO. to say. Fkcn coward. So is hodge for not calling him on it.
This campaigner made a career of it head ducking and as soon as he retired they changed the interpretation

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are a young team, when we are firing we play open/fast and quick football. When we are struggling we play possession football and can't move. Our good is good and bad is super bad, nothing in the middle.

Even though it was Conway, meek was good today. Not blaming the umps for the loss, but the amount of unpaid free kicks for efforts in the tackle and stupid deliberate free kicks and holding the man in the fwdline against us, but we rarely got, just makes for me personally fall a touch out of love with the game.

Hawks need to go to the afl for a please explain for the wizard and mainly ginni, umps have the blinders on with ginni and refuse to give him the blatantly obvious free. Great to see him never stop and love his passion his brings. If his name was Selwood, he would get every single one of those frees and more.
I think it has to do a lot with media, the great players get the respect of putting their body on the line and the others are put in the category of 'ducking' and needs to be taken out of the game.
To be frank, umpiring has been woeful this year in general. Every year something random is over umpired and under umpired

Geelong arse it every time they play against us.
17.4 (including a few from some incredibly tight angles. Take your chances I suppose

Typical cats umpiring. The deliberate to Geelong when it came off a Geelong player kicked it was the worst of the lot and summed up the reaming (even if it wasn't shown on the stat sheet)

Injuries to a few players keeps some aging players in for another week

Butler should be a straight in for Punky. Sends the right message that any player is vulnerable to good performances in the magoos.

And Butler has been playing extremely well in the twos - good link up play, good pressure and end product.

Hardly think Breust is most at risk, but think it might do him good to get some touch at Box Hill too

I think Butler is becoming more a midfielder at BH could be worth a try in there.

I think the stats paint a good picture.

Our pressure was good today - still a lot of broken tackles which shits me up the wall but you can see a clear size difference in our players (they outmuscled us). Despite both sides having almost equal possession, Geelong had 78 clangers to our 61.

The big difference is they have the experience and maturity to punish our errors and halve theirs. We don't have that quality yet.

That was the ball game. **** the umps they were horrid but that's nothing new.

Hawthorn: Kicks goal

Hawthorn midfield for resultant centre bounce: Let's take a well earned rest lads

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app
We were actually a lot better in there today than we have been the first two weeks.

13 centre clearances each this week.

Negative: we have very significantly regressed in the midfield. Outside of Worpel we have been awful in the middle all year. Newcombe horribly down on form. Today we were beaten in the middle by a undermanned average outfit.

Positive: the new additions - Chol, Ginnivan, Massimo and Watson - have shown positive signs and did so again today.

Ultimately Geelong class and forward efficiency was the difference.

We are lacking in leadership. Sicily, Lewis (his efforts have been atrocious), Moore and Newcombe all been poor three weeks running

The umpiring of Ginnivan is a joke

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 3, 2024 :Hawks fail against Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back