Autopsy Round 3, 2024 :Hawks fail against Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder what the game could have been without those two horrendous moments from Breust. It’s certainly not the reason we lost but it made us drop our heads early, then some soft decisions and accurate conversion from Geelong put us behind the 8-ball.

Thought our midfield were much better today but that last kick did our forwards no favours. Our forwardline also looked very immobile. Lewis was playing injured then did a hammy. Moorey still looks a bit off, Ginni isn’t a pressure player (plus umps), CMac is lazy defensively & Breust was a cooked chook today. Only Chol and Watto were providing a spark.

I also think Sicily has let us down 3 weeks in a row now - Stringer, Fritsch and Henry all kicked multiple goals. We need to free him up.

Ward is not a winger, hard for him to improve not playing his best role.
100% agree with this, not sure what the CBA numbers will be but we really need to start giving him and Croc some mid time this year

Even if its just 20%

I know its only been 3 games but has anyone improved on our list from last year? This doesn't include new recruits or rookies

Maybe Mackenzie and that's it

Frost has been just about our best player this year haha. Not many others showing rapid signs of improvement.

One thing that I am grinning about …

When we start playing better, and we will this season, my god Ginni and Watto are genuinely going to piss off oppos 😂😂😂

They have absolute shithousery down and I love it. That little bonk by Ginni at the end of the 2nd was just like prodding the bees nest

Disappointing
That first quarter killed them and then poor decision making finished it off

There needs to be a lot of noise from the club about the treatment of Ginnivan

Cats forward line is phenomenal and I ****ing hate them

Did think we played that badly. (As much as I detest those geelong pretenders they have a talent filled side and a formidable forward line)

They pulled out some arsey goals.

They had luck go their way in the 1st term along with some help from the umps

We squandered chances badly (that Breust one just killed us). And from there we were.always behind

Second qtr fightback was heartening. Nash was good worpel very good. Frost and Chol as key defender and forward BUT we really should have brought in phillips to augment the defence and free up Sicily. Sicily was pretty average today and I think with Day out Ive love to see him play on the ball and not have to worry about defending

Newcombe is a little concerning with.his form. Need to remind our players its a contact sport.

Need more out of our small forwards.

Weddle was quiet, McDonald makes costly mistakes and Ward doesnt offer enough.

I think Finn comes back to haunt Daicos

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our midfield in the first quarter was diabolically bad. After that I feel we were the better team except for 5 or so mins.

I'm not a huge umpire basher but that was honestly the worst and most one sided umpiring I have ever seen. Not so much for the Ginni highs which there were a couple but the deliberates paid against us but not the cats and then the absolute bullshit of Hawkins not being paid holding the ball after grabbing it out of the tick, having time to dispose and then getting tackled by Frost.

At least 5 goals of theirs were from direct bullshit free kicks that were clearly the incorrect decision.

Frustrating that it had as much of an affect as it did in the end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought the boys showed good fight after QTR time.
Still outclassed but some promising signs.
Chol, McKenzie great, nice to see signs from young Wiz and Ginni having a crack.
Nash better today.
Think Wardy needs a spell in the twos, he's getting the pill but overthinking every time he touches it, disposal is woeful atm.

Happy to take the positives out of this one
This was Ward's best game this year, I'd keep him in and let him build on it.

Going into the game I thought a 5-6 goal loss would be about the margin so no surprises from me.

First qtr was dreadful and we spent the rest of the day trying to peg them back. We got smashed out of the centre in that first qtr.

Breust fluffing up all day forward didn’t help our cause.

Chol was great and gave us a decent target.

I thought Meek had some wonderful periods during the game where he got the ball moving our way.

Frosty really battled hard all day and was stiff to have 4 kicked on him.

Watson one day very soon will kick 5 as he is always in dangerous positions.

Worps battled hard all day and I thought Nash also cracked in today.

We were actually a lot better in there today than we have been the first two weeks.

13 centre clearances each this week.
Felt like the nature of their clearances were much better. A few of them looked like training drills running into F50 for easy goals.

Lost in 2 x 5 minute patches . 1st 1/4 was deer in headlight stuff , reckon we went toe to toe for the rest .

Heaps of positives out of this game though. Its something we can really work with.
Might be a nice one to keep in the back pocket too when we return the favour in 18-24 months .
They are just at the total opposite end of the chart for age and experience and at times it showed

2 opponants have now kicked 34.9 against us , sometimes you need a little luck in sport . At the minute its running the other way .

I know lewis is injured, I hope the best for him and it's not that serious. However, does his endeavour seemed to have dropped, to me he seems he lacks confidence and/or intent on the footy.

Thought with Chol coming in, he could finally shine and be our number one. It seems the opposite to me.

100% agree with this, not sure what the CBA numbers will be but we really need to start giving him and Croc some mid time this year

Even if its just 20%
I'm not actually sure what his position is ...for a high draft pick with some experience now, he's really not doing much for me. Not all that pacy, can't kick on non-preferred, not great in contested ball, not a great mark we may have stuffed this up

On 2306EPN60G using BigFooty.com mobile app

Positives:
  • Ginnivan, Watson and Chol showed something in the forward line.
  • Worpel and Mackenzie were lively in our midfield.
  • Frost competed well against Hawkins.
Negatives:
  • Once again when we play the Cats, the umpires are incredibly biased and borderline decide every decision in their favour.
  • Channel 7 made a "highlights" package of all the frees not given to the Hawks. David King commented on the frees to the Cats and miss frees to the Hawks. Commentators commented on it. Says it all.
  • Apart from Worpel and Mackenzie, our midfield is diabolical. Newcombe has regressed and Ward was forgettable.
  • Mitch Lewis did next to nothing. Probably didn't help that he was held at every contest.
  • Meek should never play again for the club.
  • Breust. Love him and he's a legend but he is done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 3, 2024 :Hawks fail against Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back