Preview Round 4 Carlton vs Essendon 16/4/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Watson and his 'big boot' IS NOT the answer to taking on Collingwoods, Essendons, or any other teams forward press after just a couple of games. Teams are smart enough to know individual players capabilities, and to deny them getting the ball in dangerous areas. Watson just isn't quite at a stage where he is proactive enough once we get the ball either.

Give him time, this will come. He needs to learn to use his weapon.

Watson and his 'big boot' IS NOT the answer to taking on Collingwoods, Essendons, or any other teams forward press after just a couple of games. Teams are smart enough to know individual players capabilities, and to deny them getting the ball in dangerous areas. Watson just isn't quite at a stage where he is proactive enough once we get the ball either.

Give him time, this will come. He needs to learn to use his weapon.

God i hate your Avatar! :p :D

Oh... aren't you aware?

The birdbrain was once a Geelong supporter, not too many years ago either. Certainly has an interesting past.

Parrot has always been a Carlton supporter... she changed her listed team to unlisted around 2006 when she seriously started trolling the bay.

The turncoat you are thinking of is, as has been noted, Celtic_Pride... who now supports St Kilda apparently :)

This game is very important for our credibility.

As Ratts said, we didn't loose any credibility with the loss to collingwood however we didn't gain any cred either.

Also reading through all our forumns and chatting with people at work, Essendon fans think they are a favourites,and i get that vibe from alot of Carlton people as well. People just don't rate us!

Alot of people say Collingwood beat us easy, they did what they had to, always had us covered. Carlton got no credit , Collingwood just had an off day and did what they had to.
That shits me, Having said that the only way to start reversing this thought process inside and outside the club is to beat Essendon this week.

Haven't heard anything from the other, other, other, great one, this week. :eek:

Hope he, she, it is ok. :cool:

Concerned,
Half an hour behind.

Had a hell of a pre season, taking a well earned break...

This game is very important for our credibility.

As Ratts said, we didn't loose any credibility with the loss to collingwood however we didn't gain any cred either.

Also reading through all our forumns and chatting with people at work, Essendon fans think they are a favourites,and i get that vibe from alot of Carlton people as well. People just don't rate us!

Alot of people say Collingwood beat us easy, they did what they had to, always had us covered. Carlton got no credit , Collingwood just had an off day and did what they had to.
That shits me, Having said that the only way to start reversing this thought process inside and outside the club is to beat Essendon this week.

Was listening on my drive home to The Run Home on SEN and Mark Robinson of all people pulled up the hosts to say that Carlton needs to get credit for putting Collingwood off their game, I think he might even have tipped us to win. .. I managed to keep the car on the road, so all good. ..

Parrot has always been a Carlton supporter... she changed her listed team to unlisted around 2006 when she seriously started trolling the bay.

The turncoat you are thinking of is, as has been noted, Celtic_Pride... who now supports St Kilda apparently :)

Yet was seen at the Carlton Collingwood game... the mystery continues!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't mind Watson out. He is lacking fitness from what I could tell and was lagging behind Cloke and Dawes on the lead last week after a few quarters.

White did well on Hurley in the VFL last year and is a pretty strong mark so hopefully should be able to exploit the Bombers tendency to go long, which is incidentally where I think we will attack them. By applying a pile of pressure in midfield contests and using the sheer pace of Gartlett/Betts to restrict their half-backs we should be able to minimise their preferred game. Add to this the likelyhood of rain/dew and I think we are looking at a scrappy contested ball game, which is good for us, with a superior spread of ball-winners.

I am so glad to see Hendo back. I know he hasn't been ripping the VFL up, but if I recall correctly he was played as a part-time ruck last week when Casboult went down after scoring two early goals. Provided he pulls them down I am very happy. Especially looking forward to that lightning handball off to the run of a small forward.

Meh the Bombers bubble has to burst sooner rather than later, they are not top 4 material as Garry Lyon thinks, in fact I don't think Lyon has made any decent calls for a couple of years

Geez, copped a look at yours lately!!??

trollface.jpg

Can't believe Watson has been dropped. He's big boot is exactly what we need to exploit the Bomber press - not to mention his height and size. But more so - what about his development?

Mick Malthouse pretty much plays new kids for 5, 6, 7 games at a stretch, then rests them or gives them a spell in the two's to sharpen up. Not us. In out, mix it all about. Have him not knowing if he's Arthur or Martha.

Watson needs games - GIVE THEM TO HIM!
So you either believe that one size fits all, or you know Watson personally to know this is what he needs?

Are you sure that he didn't break team rules badly enough to get dropped?
Are you sure that his confidence didn't take apounding having 5-6 goals kicked on him?

I'm surprised and a little disappointed he was dropped too, but I'm not about to be another armchair coach and tell the world what he "needs".

He was O.K. week 1, and average last week. Maybe, those that know him, know that what he needs is a week in the Ants to work on some aspects of his game away from 80,000 jeering fans (yes, that's both sides fans........... as I cringe while my fellow "supporters" unload on our own kids when they make an error - such as I endured with Henderson and his marking :thumbsdown:)

Thought I'd throw an Essendon opinion on the game.
For us to win, I think we have to do 2 things:
a) Win the clearances/contested ball, and pretty significantly, and
b) Our forward press has to be successful.

Clearances will be a key. Our pace is greatly over-exaggerated, our pace comes from 5 players, namely Davey, Jetta, Colyer, Winderlich and Reimers. Only 2 of those guys are picked, and Winderlich has been playing forward, so I am more concerned about your pace than ours. Your run through the midfield is significantly stronger than ours, therefore I feel it is essential that we dominate the clearances, which I do think we are capable of. Judd is very good at it, as is Murphy, but I believe Watson, Lonergan and Hocking are superior at extracting the ball. In no way am I saying that they are better players, but those 3 are imo superior clearance players and they will have to be on top of their game to get us over the line.

Our forward press will also need to succeed if we are a chance to win. Thus far this season, we have won the clearances and got it in our forward 50. We have not been very efficent but we have locked it in and strangled the opposition. Kickouts will be a key, your first kick out of the kickout, somewhere towards the 55m out area, these contests will be important. If you win these, and play on quickly, your midfield and forward line, particularly Betts and Garlett with their pace, could have an absolute picnic. Hille out will help you greatly in these contests, so Bellchambers and Ryder will have to be good.

If we are able to do these 2 things, which we have done for the majority of our 3 games so far, I feel we have a very strong chance of winning. If one/either of these fail, you guys could have a day out. Our game plan hasn't failed us yet, and I guess us Essendon fans are hoping its more a case of "if" rather than "when".

Speaking of avatars, for how long to you have to display that "show pony" BJ?

Until Sunday.

Although in a quest for redemption I entered a 1 week avatar bet with a Bombers supporter about this week's game....fingers crossed!:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 4 Carlton vs Essendon 16/4/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Back