Preview Round 4 Carlton vs Essendon 16/4/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Just don't like replacing blokes playing well, especially with a bloke who may still be recovering fitness. Of course i hope i'm wrong. I can handle that type of "mistake"...lol! I'm happy to play both Hendo and Thornton as it suddenly provides way more flexibility. Waite and be moved about more or even Hendo if height is needed in defence. That's what I liked about Thornton up forward.

Walker should really be playing that role and more, that Thornton was set up for up forward.
Walker should be the Fisher ++++
Unfortunately for Thornton, his best is down back and when that becomes unavailable, so does Thornton.

Again, I may feel sorry for him, but just as much so for the person he may be keeping out.
Dog eat dog world out there.

White cannot kick and his defensive skills are about to get shown up an absolute beauty. I'd have Jamison on Hurley because that is a battle we can win, however the only way I see Ryder being quelled is if we drop Waite back there. Farrrrk

i prefer thornton in over white,if their fwds fire and we need to swing waite back then thornton offers more up fwd than white
Three wins for work ethic
““We haven’t seen the best of Simon White."

“We were lucky. All of us had seen a bit of him, and I probably pushed a bit harder just to get him because I thought we needed that type a player - a player able to play at both ends,” Rogers said.

“For us he’s probably better suited forward, but for him he’s probably better suited back. I reckon we can probably cover him across half-back with Paul Bower and those blokes and we don’t have that forward that can be hard at the footy, lead up and be the hit-up forward."
Three wins for work ethic

I'm worried about Hurley being too big for White and beating him up the ground.

Yet the club might be backing White to run off Hurley and be creative like Bower.

I'm worried about Hurley being too big for White and beating him up the ground.

Yet the club might be backing White to run off Hurley and be creative like Bower.

White's creativity is limited by his crap disposal. Watch the GC game again. Under no pressure he made some monumental f**k ups! Out on the full kicks and everything

a lot of fear for essendon on here,i say relax weve got them covered by 4 to 5 goals.apart from minor player changes and a new coach not much has changed on field since we spanked them late last year.have confidence in the boys i know i have

hmm...I think the emergencies are a real chance to come into play, for both teams. If it's dry I wouldn't be surprised to see Hille in. Ryder and Hille are both good enough forward that they can afford to have 3 big men I reckon. In that case, it's odd that we haven't left the option of bringing in another big player, with Army, Lucas and Ellard as emergencies. Frankly, I'm still hoping that Army will come in for Carrots.

The selections can be a bit deflating at first - no Bower, Carrots and Walks still in the team, but as much as everyone says Watto is the future and White is not, I think that's a bit premature and based mainly on draft positions. White is still young, like Watson, and has obviously earned his position in the senior team. If Carrots is a late withdrawal, then it will be a VERY strong team.

We really should be very confident of a win here. I hope the players aren't as nervous as a bunch of our supporters.

Hendo back :thumbsu:

LOVE this.

I am worried we are one tall lacking down back. Two talls in a back six, is too few. And White isn't even really a tall.

I think this means Waite is going to play back. With Hendo and the resting ruckman up forward, it will provide enough contest for our mosquito fleet to get involved.

Actually the more i think about it Waite will be a must down back for us with Hendo up forward. :thumbsu:

Just please don't do anything stupid Jarrod you are to important to the team.

Agree he could be a good match for Ryder when he's forward...an option anyway

So we had Bower playing well with The Ants last week.
We had Lucas, McLean and Ellard gaining in excess of 30 possessions last week with The Ants.
We have Armfield do what Armfield does last week with The Ants, yet none of the above can get a game.
Thornton and Watson are ousted in view of better match-ups against a side.

This will be the making of our side in the future regardless of just how frustrated we may well be, for the here and now.

Jamo on Ryder
White on Hurley

If worst comes to worst, maybe Waite could go back onto Hurley and White forward, but really our backline should be irrelevant. The ball will be in our forwardline.

Jamo on Ryder
White on Hurley

If worst comes to worst, maybe Waite could go back onto Hurley and White forward, but really our backline should be irrelevant. The ball will be in our forwardline.

good point,

This midfield battle is pivotal

Glad we had a hard hit out last week and glad it was the MCG

Very confident we can win this one easily. Henderson makes our side instantly look so much better, obviously because of structure. I predict the Blues by 45.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't believe Watson has been dropped. He's big boot is exactly what we need to exploit the Bomber press - not to mention his height and size. But more so - what about his development?

Mick Malthouse pretty much plays new kids for 5, 6, 7 games at a stretch, then rests them or gives them a spell in the two's to sharpen up. Not us. In out, mix it all about. Have him not knowing if he's Arthur or Martha.

Watson needs games - GIVE THEM TO HIM!

So we had Bower playing well with The Ants last week.
We had Lucas, McLean and Ellard gaining in excess of 30 possessions last week with The Ants.
We have Armfield do what Armfield does last week with The Ants, yet none of the above can get a game.
Thornton and Watson are ousted in view of better match-ups against a side.

This will be the making of our side in the future regardless of just how frustrated we may well be, for the here and now.
late changes

Could not agree more with this. All signs point to White getting either Hurley or Ryder, and he WILL get murdered either way. The fact that Waite hasnt been played back at all this year leads me to think they don't want to break down this structure. Oh god, I think they are going to kill us with pace now. Really needed Armfield in to take your Monfries/Zaharakis type.

What? We have Duigan, Yarran and Russell as medium/small defenders perfect for that type of player. Armfield who has been playing mid/HF anyway would generally take the small crumber which they don't have in that line up.

Would have liked to see a bit more pace & 1 more tall in the side (just in case). Robbo & Carrazzo ain't quick and White is more 3rd tall defender than KP. Should be a ripper of a game.
Hate the scum more than the fagPies. Go BLUES.

Personally I am dissappointed that we dropped Thornton completely. .. Got no problem with White (must have a match up in mind) and Hendo (need to settle our fwd line ASAP) coming in but we lost a lot of height with Watson and Thornton going out. .. I would have preferred to see Thornton go to Sub, just for flexibility. ..

Less confident now but still think we'll win. ..

Would have liked to see a bit more pace & 1 more tall in the side (just in case). Robbo & Carrazzo ain't quick and White is more 3rd tall defender than KP. Should be a ripper of a game.
Hate the scum more than the fagPies. Go BLUES.

Not sure if srs... Carrazzo might run like a duck but he's got plenty of toe. Has no problem whatsoever keeping with players like Davey, Swan, Cooney, Deledio etc, all of whom have been claimed as some of the fastest/most athletic players in the AFL. He sure as hell isn't a plodder by any means.

Watson out and White in is baffling. Surely this will be detrimental to Watson's confidence & development? We should be pumping as much gametime into him as we can, he's so important to our future.

Good to see Hendo back. Thornton out...meh.

Watson: I, like many, would have liked to have carried him each week for the entire season. However, the substitute rule makes this impractical.

The reality is we have to pick a team capable of winning. He got a game against GC because it was a game we could not lose. He got a game against Collingwood because it was a game for which no one gave us a realistic chance of winning.

I don't understand the disdain for White. He was one of the better debutants for season '10 until he got injured. Certainly a better choice than when we tried Walker at CHB. :eek: This season, in the absence of Jamison and Bower he was given difficult match ups on Reiwoldt and Dixon/Smith. Any wonder he struggled? The club have decided, at least for this week, that undersized defenders in Laidler and White offer more due to mature bodies than an 18yo.

We can throw Waite and Lachie back if necessary. Besides, this is the rebirth of Hampson at CHB! :)

In: Prismall
Out: Davey

Essendon

B: Kyle Hardingham, Dustin Fletcher, Courtenay Dempsey

HB: Nathan Lovett-Murray, Cale Hooker, Dyson Heppell

C: Brent Stanton, Jobe Watson, Mark McVeigh

HF: Jason Winderlich, Michael Hurley, David Zaharakis

F: Angus Monfries, Patrick Ryder, Stewart Crameri

Foll: Tom Bellchambers, Ben Howlett, Heath Hocking, Steve McBurney

I/C: Sam Lonergan, Leroy Jetta, Brent Prismall, Jake Melksham

Emg: David Hille, Alwyn Davey, Kyle Reimers

We are f%*&ed!!

Who gives a tinkers about pace?

They are a damaging side by foot, hit targets with 50 metre spears.

Don't handball as much as other sides.

Remind me a bit of Hawthorn a couple of years ago.
they hit targets as the bloke with the ball is not under pressure due to his burst of pace getting him free from his direct opp

White cannot kick and his defensive skills are about to get shown up an absolute beauty. I'd have Jamison on Hurley because that is a battle we can win, however the only way I see Ryder being quelled is if we drop Waite back there. Farrrrk

Don't worry Cookie, with White and Russell in the back line we can't fail. Now there's an all star duo:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 4 Carlton vs Essendon 16/4/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Back