Preview Round 4 Carlton vs Essendon 16/4/11

Remove this Banner Ad

In: Armfield, Bower, Henderson, Ellard.
Out: Walker, Watson, Carrazzo (won't happen), Thornton.

Collins can take Walker's spot as the versatile third forward. At least he'll bring some discipline to the role...

I think Duigan will be omitted before any of the 4 you mentioned will be.... actually maybe Thornton first.

Claypigeon's sig survives another week! Let's hope the prophecy continues :p

Cheers Zee. .. If the next three come true then I'm going to have a field day. .. might even bust my card cherry on the Dons board, who knows. ..

The key for Essendon is their speed and free movement, our current game plan probably stops that as we will cluster up like Collingwood do, and the good thing is we spread well.

That said, we need to bring in Bower this week as a must and from the HUN today he seemed to provide run off half back in the Ants which is what he did so well a couple of years ago.

Besides that change I don't knwo if we need to make any others.

The four I would choose from to come out of the side is Laidler, Duigan, Thorton or Watson, of those 4 the player that provides the least run and accountable would be Thorton (I would like to see Watson play every game this year, only way to develop him)

Thorton out create the issue of a forward option as he has played forward the last two weeks, but I think that is where Collins slots in nicely.

Can't believe people are calling for Collins to be dropped after playing 20mins, I will say it now, this kid is a great get for us and will create so much off half forward for us this year!!

With Warnock and Hampson, the one thing Hammer provides is a massive target up forward which most teams haven't been able to match up on, however he hasn't been able to hold everything or kick them straight. We just need to work around this, still play him that way, but don't play through him, we need to be more creative.

Other otpion is, when Hamme ris on the ground he rucks, when he doesn't ruck he is on the bench, Warnock is very good up forward and can provide that tall option.

Do we go with one ruckman this week and bring in another runner to match speed, Lucan or Ellard??

In terms of matchups, Watson seems to have been their main midfielder, I would go Carrots on him, proven tagger (i know many don't liek Carrots, but this is my opinion). Hurley will play forward, so good match up for Jammo, Ryder will play forward, so Bower is the perfect match up.

The key to our defence is 3rd man up to spoil, we lacked that against Collingwood, this should be assigned to Duigan!

We're not too far away from getting a few more games into the mature-aged boys and finding the balance our team will work best from.
Sadly Casboult does not fit into that mix..................... for now, at least.

Maybe so. It's a moot point anyway - Levi went off with a nasty injury yesterday.

Hampson has gone backwards, terribly, since his one breakout game in 2009. We have terrible depth in the absence of o'hAilpin and Kreuzer, so I guess he keeps his spot.

Can Watson or Henderson ruck? :D

Maybe so. It's a moot point anyway - Levi went off with a nasty injury yesterday.

Hampson has gone backwards, terribly, since his one breakout game in 2009. We have terrible depth in the absence of o'hAilpin and Kreuzer, so I guess he keeps his spot.

Can Watson or Henderson ruck? :D

If that happened I'd probably join the sack Ratts crew (I know you meant it tongue in cheek)

Bad luck to Levi, doubt he would have got a call up anyway, needs some more time. ..

Hird said last week he'd be rested one more week and should be fine for the Carlton game

Damn. Oh well.

Seems the media just from listening to a little bit of radio and even the Fox Sports crew were already talking up Anzac Day vs Pies.
Hird is to smart to get sucked into that but lets hope they do take their eye off the ball for one week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The media will be all over Essendon this week pumping them up, hopefully we'll fly under the radar

This is going to be mighty tough one, we CAN'T loose to the filth

Bookies are all over it too.

Essendon are starting 1.65 to 2.35 favorites for the game. :thumbsu:

I'd probably just go Hendo in for Thornton and Bower in for... er... someone. Maybe Watson. Actually thought he was OK (was always going to lose out against Dawes/Cloke) but memories of Livo just make me very anxious about putting too much pressure on the kid too early. Geez he looks a ripper though.

Like most, I was v disappointed with Carrots the other night but I just don't see him getting dropped. Would love to see Ellard in, but I'd say it's unlikely...

Big game this week. We simply have to win, I don't care by what margin or how, get the job done Blues!

So having said that, Carrazzo must be dropped! Both he and Thornton have got to be amongst the dumbest footballers in the comp. Especially when we play the Bombers they nearly always give away 50MP goals.

Although Hampson should be dropped as well, we might need him because we can't leave it all to Warnock - he doesn't have the tank to go for the whole game. Can't wait for Kreuzer to get back in the team.

Walker will be lucky to keep his spot as well. Why does he try and take mark of the year 95% of the time only to keep failing? The guy plays a selfish brand of football and wants to be the hero only to become the villian of our forward line. People are complaining about Betts, but I think he plays an important role even when he isn't bagging goals and that is, take the opposition's best small defender and free up Jeffy so we should keep him in. Betts also never stops putting forward pressure and that is going to be very important this week.

But yeah for mine Walker, Thornton and Carrots have got to go. Russel is also on thin ice and in danger of being dropped. Didn't like the way he panicked and allowed the Pies to score their first goal and he has been in bad form so far. Needs to lift this week.

Duigan also looks like he needs a spell, his level is slowly dropping.

I'd like to see these changes:

Out: Walker, Carrazzo, Thornton, Duigan
In: Henderson, Bower, Ellard, Armfield(can't kick but is fast and hard at it)

Hendo to the foward line, Bower to the back line, Ellard to tag Watson and Army to add a little pace and aggression.

Robbo did a great job negating Fletcher last time so let's hope for a repeat of that.

Bombers are playing at a much higher level than last year, so we will have to be at our best to get this win but I'm confident we can do it GO BLUES!

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 4 Carlton vs Essendon 16/4/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Back