Opinion Sack Hinkley 4 - Show Him The Door

When to sack Ken?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damian Barrett on 9 Footy Show

“They were unlucky last year, they got Dusty’d in that preliminary final (in 2020), missed by a kick. But what happened last night wasn’t just on the players, it’s on that man. He’d know that.

“The discussions that now emanate out of this disaster are going to be very intriguing. We know the backdrop of the club needing to be successful, and it ultimately hasn’t been under his watch.

It's incredible how people forgive players for their past mistakes (both on and off the field), but when it comes to coaching, it's different.

The people saying 9 years of Hinkley failure as a reason to sack him - if you look at the past 2 years alone, you'll see we've made 2 prelims.

It's not too different to us now saying let's delist Karl Amon, because he was rubbish for the first part of his career. If we delisted him then, nobody would have blinked an eyelid. Delisting him now is absurd.

Same goes for Ken in my eyes. If we sacked him a few years ago, no issues. Not performing, he has to go. But now he's got us to two prelims. The horse has bolted. The only way i would be sacking him is for a proven coach. Go for Clarko, it's a no brainer. There's not many other proven coaches out there waiting.

Choco may have made mistakes in the past, but he left Port over 10 years ago. Do you not for one second think he has developed himself over the time? Learnt from his mistakes etc.

Everything you hear from players that have worked with him in recent times is how amazing he has been with their development etc.

He is a proven winner, and he's Port Adelaide through and through.
Ken at Port would have to be one of the most classic cases of sunk cost bias in the history of professional sport.

We've invested with him, so let's stick with it. Ken's nearly there, just a bunch of changes to the list, we're nearly there, just some new assistant coaches, then we're golden. Just some tweaks to the game plan. Just got to nail these draft picks. Can't pull the pin now, so so close......9 years later, we have nothing to show for it. Sorry, but losing a bunch of prelims is not close to winning flags. No Port supporter feels close to winning a flag today.

Someone posted last night, next year Ken will be the longest standing coach in AFL/VFL history without winning a flag. If thats true, then that is one serious f**kup. We basically gambled the house and came up with squat.

Surely they're all meeting today, Koch, Davies, Richo. Heads must roll.

Depends if they're waiting on a conference call from Travis Auld.

You make way to much sense to be commenting in this thread.

So, let him coach to failure after failure as long as that failure isn’t a bottom-4 finish?

There is such a concept as “he’s taken the club as far as he can” (largely foreign to AFL, admittedly).

It’s one thing to bugger up an opportunity- as we did in 2014 and 2020. It’s another to be absolutely obliterated and never come back into the game. I tell you, we will have another ten years of PTSD from that.

Yep. That wasn't a regular loss. That will absolutely live inside the players heads unless we get the clean break of a new coach.

There's gotta be more to starting a game that flat surely? I mean yea we've done that reactive almost spectating crap throughout the year but not to the level of almost being allergic to the contest last night, I can handle losing but not when there's zero appetite for the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damian Barrett on 9 Footy Show

“They were unlucky last year, they got Dusty’d in that preliminary final (in 2020), missed by a kick. But what happened last night wasn’t just on the players, it’s on that man. He’d know that.

“The discussions that now emanate out of this disaster are going to be very intriguing. We know the backdrop of the club needing to be successful, and it ultimately hasn’t been under his watch.

Purple’s what’s known in the biz as a ‘bespectacled chode’, but I much prefer this to Gerard Whateley telling us to go suck our own arseholes after the Ben Brown Bowl of 2019.

Purple’s what’s known in the biz as a ‘bespectacled chode’, but I much prefer this to Gerard Whateley telling us to go suck our own arseholes after the Ben Brown Bowl of 2019.

That was such a bizarrely aggressive rant from him too. Something rustled his jimmies that week.

F59EA51D-3278-40DE-AD9A-E93B194DCBCC.jpeg

There's gotta be more to starting a game that flat surely? I mean yea we've done that reactive almost spectating crap throughout the year but not to the level of almost being allergic to the contest last night, I can handle losing but not when there's zero appetite for the ball.

Probably watched the Dees game and thought ‘gee that will be difficult’

He's got to fall on his sword. I've put myself through the torture of reading the reviews, articles, watched all the clips post game and the common theme is Ken. He shat the bed last night, in the most spectacular way possible.

He's taken us as far as he can, how the players can get up for another pre season under him is beyond me. Some of the players are to blame as well, they aren't without scrutiny but Ken just totally destroyed any chance we had. To have a team off a week off, not switched on at the start of a preliminary final defies belief. It's actually not possible. I'm still sitting here stunned it happened.

There are no elite standards under Ken, it's near enough is good enough. He can't raise the level in cut throat moments against the elite sides, our track record against contenders the past few years is appalling.

What worries me the most is the scars from this will linger into next season. If we get to round 10 at 4-6 for arguments sake does he go then? We need the Freo Ross Lyon/Mark Harvey moment. It has to happen this week or we stare into the mid table abyss next season. That may sound pessimistic but my faith in this group, and Ken and the coaches is gone after last night.

There is such a concept as “he’s taken the club as far as he can” (largely foreign to AFL, admittedly).

A mutual acknowledgement that he can't take us any further and both parties would be better served by moving on is the best result. He can almost certainly flex his 2 prelim appearances into a job at one of the available spots. Carlton or the Gold Coast would kill to be thereabouts.

Any talk at all from the club yet?
Apparently Hinkley is going to front a special press conference later today to address the reasons for last night's loss. The script he is going to use has been leaked to the press;

"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nam eleifend hendrerit arcu ac ultrices. Morbi et metus imperdiet, varius metus eget, accumsan metus. Proin ultricies dolor aliquet nisi tempus gravida. Cras vitae finibus sem, vitae bibendum tellus. Nulla facilisi. Sed bibendum tortor et tellus aliquam facilisis. Nullam egestas elit quis est pretium dictum eget a augue. Sed aliquam nisi id elit pellentesque rhoncus. Proin rutrum lacus quis massa aliquam mattis. Donec lectus lorem, auctor sit amet posuere varius, dictum vitae magna. Vivamus ultricies leo eget lobortis molestie. Proin eu volutpat lorem. Etiam accumsan rutrum nulla ac faucibus."

You make it sound like you are Geelong.
I think you have a great age profile but there are a couple of club legends that do only have a year or two left which is why it’s imperative you make hay whilst the sun shines

Hay? I know where I’d stick the pitchfork first.

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

So, let him coach to failure after failure as long as that failure isn’t a bottom-4 finish?

Yeah I don't understand the attitude of let him coach next year and when he doesn't succeed again, then do something. Why waste another season? What good does that do anyone, it's a waste of time for all involved especially us fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back