Autopsy Saints v Cats - AFL Rd 23, 2024 - Sat August 17th 7:30pm - (Marvel)

Who will win and by how much?

• Saints by a goal or less

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Saints by 7 - 20

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • Saints by a lot

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

St-Kilda-vs-Geelong.png

14th v 4th

AFL 2024 PREMIERSHIP SEASON ROUND 23

ST KILDA V GEELONG
SAT AUGUST 17TH 7:30PM (MARVEL)

Live scores on BigFooty during the match.

TIPPING ON BIGFOOTY

CLICK HERE :arrowright: TIP IN BIGFOOTY TIPPING
$1000 total prize money!
$500 first place and a spiffy medal
$300 second place
$200 third place

Weekly Prize:
:arrowright: Best score each round wins a year's Premium Platinum membership!

Tipping proudly sponsored by
The Golden Ticket

Medallion Club tickets at the MCG and Marvel
Corporate Box tickets at the MCG and Marvel
AFL Finals Tickets

Optus Stadium open air box tickets

Adelaide Oval Stadium Club tickets

Heritage Bank Stadium Lounge tickets

GABBA Open Air Corporate Boxes

Teams:
SAINTS

B: J. Battle, D. Howard, C. Wilkie
HB: N. Wanganeen-Milera, J. Sinclair, L. Stocker
C: B. Hill, Z. Jones, R. Byrnes
HF: M. Wood, J. Higgins, M. Owens
F: A. Caminiti, T. Membrey, C. Sharman
FOLL: R. Marshall, J. Steele - C, H. Clark

I/C: P. Dow, D. Butler, D. Wilson, J. Webster, H. Garcia
EMG: B. Paton, T. Campbell, A. McLennan

IN: H. Garcia
OUT: A. McLennan (Omitted)

CATS
B: L. Humphries, J. Henry, J. Kolodjashnij
HB: M. Holmes, M. Blicavs, Z. Guthrie
C: S. Mannagh, T. Atkins, O. Dempsey
HF: T. Stengle, B. Close, G. Miers
F: S. Neale, J. Cameron, O. Henry
FOLL: R. Stanley, P. Dangerfield - C, T. Stewart

I/C: M. Knevitt, J. Bowes, G. Rohan, O. Mullin, M. Duncan
EMG: J. Bews, Z. Tuohy, M. Hardie

IN: M. Knevitt, G. Rohan
OUT: Z. Tuohy (Managed), T. Bruhn (Injured)

:arrowdown: Links to the Club Board tipping comps :arrowdown:

Share your game wisdom here!

Last edited by a moderator:
St Kilda thrashed us in this situation last year and basically have the same side. One that has played quite well at Marvel a number of times this season. Losing too many close games earlier in the year ruined their season but they are not a team you can just rock up and turn over.

Having said that we have everything to play for and will surely treat this one like a final, as they did the Freo game.

If someone offered me Geelong winning by a point I'd take it, even though % will be crucial for deciding top 2.

The type of game we'll lose. Dross we should be beating but coached by a cancer to football.
Funny that you keep having a go at Ross Lyon but he's mates with your coach and they coach in a similar way. The only difference between Saints and Cats is Cats have a homefield advantage and can lure "surf coast" natives back home. What would Cats be without that? No Dangerfield, no Cameron, no Bruhn, no Bowes. I'm not going to talk about the father son luck that Geelong have expirenced, not something the club can control.

St Kilda thrashed us in this situation last year and basically have the same side. One that has played quite well at Marvel a number of times this season. Losing too many close games earlier in the year ruined their season but they are not a team you can just rock up and turn over.

Having said that we have everything to play for and will surely treat this one like a final, as they did the Freo game.

If someone offered me Geelong winning by a point I'd take it, even though % will be crucial for deciding top 2.
Your mob at your best should beat us.

It does depend on what St Kilda shows up though, at our best we can win this with our attack from half back and outside of 3 games we have kept our losses quite close.

it would be better for our younger players to attack against a finals bound side rather then slog it out.

Cats have been in some hard games including travelling Perth so coming up against a Lyon side isn't ideal.

Saints took us apart this time last year but they were preparing for finals and we were all but done. In other words, I have no idea much like most of us.

The only difference between Saints and Cats is Cats have a homefield advantage and can lure "surf coast" natives back home. What would Cats be without that? No Dangerfield, no Cameron, no Bruhn, no Bowes.

We're 5-3 at GMHBA this year, including wins against North and Richmond. Not exactly a graveyard for opposition teams: we've done better 'everywhere besides GMHBA'. And Bowes? Born and bred Queenslander, funnily enough a St Kilda supporter growing up.

St Kilda's had plenty of big recruits from other clubs (including several from interstate)... many who've set the trade week pulses racing at least as much as the likes of Bruhn. Not our fault there's quite a few misfires on the St Kilda side.

We're 5-3 at GMHBA this year, including wins against North and Richmond. Not exactly a graveyard for opposition teams: we've done better 'everywhere besides GMHBA'. And Bowes? Born and bred Queenslander, funnily enough a St Kilda supporter growing up.

St Kilda's had plenty of big recruits from other clubs (including several from interstate)... many who've set the trade week pulses racing at least as much as the likes of Bruhn. Not our fault there's quite a few misfires on the St Kilda side.
Sorry, I wasn't having a go all I was pointing out was that Saints and Cats play a similar style and except for the points I mentioned we would be similar teams.

Cats have been in some hard games including travelling Perth so coming up against a Lyon side isn't ideal.

Saints took us apart this time last year but they were preparing for finals and we were all but done. In other words, I have no idea much like most of us.
St Kilda also pushed Geelong in Geelong at the start of this season.

I expect a Geelong win but we are going to make your mob work hard for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could really go either way. Geelong really should be getting it done but Saints aren't hopeless and apart from Lions game have been in improved form. Plus as seen in late season game last year and earlier this year they seem to match up well.

Funny that you keep having a go at Ross Lyon but he's mates with your coach and they coach in a similar way. The only difference between Saints and Cats is Cats have a homefield advantage and can lure "surf coast" natives back home. What would Cats be without that? No Dangerfield, no Cameron, no Bruhn, no Bowes. I'm not going to talk about the father son luck that Geelong have expirenced, not something the club can control.
The only difference? lol

Funny that you keep having a go at Ross Lyon but he's mates with your coach and they coach in a similar way.
Offensive ranking (points for)

Scott: 2nd, 7th, 2nd, 6th, 12th, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 2nd, 5th, 5th.

Lyon: 16th, 9th, 4th, 8th, 12th, 12th (Freo), 12th, 7th, 11th, 16th, 17th, 16th, 16th, 15th (St.K), 15th.

Note: 2007-10 under Bomber the cats were 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd. During 2020-22 while Ross was in the media the cats went 1st, 7th, 3rd for points scored.

How does the defensive master stack up against the attacking cats??

Bomber/Scott: 1st, 1st, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 7th, 4th, 9th, 8th, 2nd, 6th, 1st, 1st, [4th, 2nd, 3rd while Ross not coaching], 7th, 11th.

Lyon: 7th, 5th, 1st, 1st, 4th, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 14th, 15th, 14th, 9th, 1st, 2nd.

So we see a man who is anal about defensive structures to the detriment of attacking and then there's Scott who always has a good attacking team and rarely at the expense of a poor defensive structure.

More broadly we've seen Geelong, Collingwood and Hawthorn thwart Ross the dinosaur by being 'near enough' defensively and having way more weapons attack wise. Bomber/Scott, Clarkson and Malthouse haven't wasted the talents of two great KPF (Riewoldt, Pavlich) and two great smalls (Milne, Ballantyne) like Ross has managed to.

Please refrain from ever comparing Scott and Lyon and thinking they are similar. They are nothing alike.

Offensive ranking (points for)

Scott: 2nd, 7th, 2nd, 6th, 12th, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 2nd, 5th, 5th.

Lyon: 16th, 9th, 4th, 8th, 12th, 12th (Freo), 12th, 7th, 11th, 16th, 17th, 16th, 16th, 15th (St.K), 15th.

Note: 2007-10 under Bomber the cats were 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd. During 2020-22 while Ross was in the media the cats went 1st, 7th, 3rd for points scored.

How does the defensive master stack up against the attacking cats??

Bomber/Scott: 1st, 1st, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 7th, 4th, 9th, 8th, 2nd, 6th, 1st, 1st, [4th, 2nd, 3rd while Ross not coaching], 7th, 11th.

Lyon: 7th, 5th, 1st, 1st, 4th, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 14th, 15th, 14th, 9th, 1st, 2nd.

So we see a man who is anal about defensive structures to the detriment of attacking and then there's Scott who always has a good attacking team and rarely at the expense of a poor defensive structure.

More broadly we've seen Geelong, Collingwood and Hawthorn thwart Ross the dinosaur by being 'near enough' defensively and having way more weapons attack wise. Bomber/Scott, Clarkson and Malthouse haven't wasted the talents of two great KPF (Riewoldt, Pavlich) and two great smalls (Milne, Ballantyne) like Ross has managed to.

Please refrain from ever comparing Scott and Lyon and thinking they are similar. They are nothing alike.
How many list has Chris Scott turned over? Replenshised how many with young player who he had to teach the game plan? Chris Scott has been the luckiest coach in the AFL, inherited a talent laden list while having talent beg to come to Geelong (Dangerfield and Cameron). easy to have such high defensive and offensive stats when you do have to rely on kids.
I never mentioned anything about Druggie Thompson or Racist Clarkson so I don't get what that has to do with what I was talking about.
The point was that Lyon and Scottt both have a very defensive style that lends to the slingshot game but keep missing the point just like most Cats fans on Bigfooty.

****ing lol at Chris Scott and Ross Lyon having similar styles and gameplans:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

How many list has Chris Scott turned over? Replenshised how many with young player who he had to teach the game plan? Chris Scott has been the luckiest coach in the AFL, inherited a talent laden list while having talent beg to come to Geelong (Dangerfield and Cameron). easy to have such high defensive and offensive stats when you do have to rely on kids.
I never mentioned anything about Druggie Thompson or Racist Clarkson so I don't get what that has to do with what I was talking about.
The point was that Lyon and Scottt both have a very defensive style that lends to the slingshot game but keep missing the point just like most Cats fans on Bigfooty.

The entire list he was so 'lucky' to inherit which is one more than Lyon has to this point. Lyon jumped right into good situations and talented lists (Saints first time and Freo) just as much as C Scott did. Don't crap on about us 'missing the point' when you're incapable of making one.

Or you're just flat out wrong.

Scott turned over an entire list which is different to Lyon who jumps in with young lists with a bit of experience and having completed partial rebuilds that he tries to take to the top.

Scott inherited an ancient list that just lost its premiership coach and best player. Immediately won them a flag, then maintained top 4 while the ageing champions retired. That high profile recruits were recruited doesn't alter the fact that the overwhelming majority of the list has been turned over once or twice with players from the draft and a premiership attained 11 years later with 4 traded in players, 1 FA, 1 DFA and in total had 14 players whose original draft position was 40 or later or rookie.

As for Scott and Lyon they are nothing alike.
Lyon plays unattractive loser football and needs to be run out of the game.

Oh no, I've hurt Cats supporters feelings by comparing Scott and Lyon. What am I going to do when Ross Lyon has stated in interviews that he admires Chris Scott and wants to play a gamestyle like Geelongs. Defensive when they need to and then switching to attacking, I would take that as a compliment but bitter Cats fans take it the wrong way.

Sorry, I wasn't having a go all I was pointing out was that Saints and Cats play a similar style and except for the points I mentioned we would be similar teams.
A major difference is that we intercept far more than our opposition and have far less turnovers than our opposition. St Kilda trend in the opposite direction for those metrics.

Then we score more by having a more dynamic forward line system.

At a push you could say we play like St Kilda but with better skills and more attacking flair.

Oh no, I've hurt Cats supporters feelings by comparing Scott and Lyon. What am I going to do when Ross Lyon has stated in interviews that he admires Chris Scott and wants to play a gamestyle like Geelongs. Defensive when they need to and then switching to attacking, I would take that as a compliment but bitter Cats fans take it the wrong way.
This is such a lazy line. Debate the actual content. If people offer counter points it's a simple discussion. "Oh no I made you cry" just infers that it's you who doesn't want to have the discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Saints v Cats - AFL Rd 23, 2024 - Sat August 17th 7:30pm - (Marvel)

Back