No Oppo Supporters St.Kilda sack Brett Ratten

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you be completely fine after getting a promotion at your job and then getting fired within 3 months?
If I wasn't doing my job, the yes.
I've seen it happen to managers all the time.
They get promoted, they do their job. Then they get comfortable then results slip and they get sacked.

Ratts was 8-3. Finals should have been a non negotiable, he seemed to lose the players because they stopped playing, so he lost his job

On SM-F711B using BigFooty.com mobile app

One of our best in a long time. Old posters returning, everyone for the most part genuinely getting along with one another. Been a great vibe on here the last week or so.
It's been fun.
What we did to Ratten was pretty poor, I think it's okay to hold the club to account sometimes. Yes it's in his contract and yes it was what we needed but to show faith in a guy and give him 2 years and then backtrack on it in less than 100 days is pretty distasteful.

As supporters were obviously glad the mistake was rectified but I can absolutely see why some would call it unprofessional or disgraceful.
I get why they did it.
You hit mid season and you have to still look like a stable joint for any potential players coming in or the players at the club.

What we did to Ratten was pretty poor, I think it's okay to hold the club to account sometimes. Yes it's in his contract and yes it was what we needed but to show faith in a guy and give him 2 years and then backtrack on it in less than 100 days is pretty distasteful.

As supporters were obviously glad the mistake was rectified but I can absolutely see why some would call it unprofessional or disgraceful.
I rigidly disagree with the notion the club did anything other than the right thing by all parties, and the only sin was resigning him in the first place. Ratts was clearly not up to the task and having him for another term would have been tantamount to torture.
The same was done to Richo if I'm being honest.

I rigidly disagree with the notion the club did anything other than the right thing by all parties, and the only sin was resigning him in the first place. Ratts was clearly not up to the task and having him for another term would have been tantamount to torture.
Let’s be honest, both Richo and Ratten are ordinary coaches. Who for selfish reasons, chose a negative / effort based style in order to stay in the game / not get blown away by opposition, instead of spend time developing game plan, develop players skills, backing their talent and play a more expansive (attacking) style.

Sacking an underperforming coach is not unreasonable, especially as Lethelan has shared, we had to give Ratts an answer at mid-year.. The year ended badly, some of the football is deplorable (bottom 4 stats in most categories), we look like a rabble most of the time, so what should we do, hope for magic and next year will be different? Never seen so many players miss easy targets, run around like headless chooks.

I know it’s harsh and it looked bad.. but don’t let the truth get in the way of a media narrative..

Last edited:
I think it definitely could've been handled better.

Huge news. Thoughts Barrels ?
it's not going to be fine andy samberg GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Saw Ross in media defending some of media's comments towards St Kilda as being 'disrespetful'. Nice to see someone put media on back foot. But the team and club have to start to rebuild genuine respect, then we can attract the best players.

Hopefully Ross is the one on the back foot when he’s presented to the media as our new coach

xB6p8hw.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While there is truth in what you say, there is also huge truth in that Ratts clearly had lost the playing group football wise and just seemed to have no idea how to progress things.

The head coach position is not like some workforces where the underperformer might be kept out of harms way and given routine tasks.

If St Kilda rolled out a whole season next year like that second half this season we might have become the Tasmanian Saints in 2024.

We as a club simply could not wait for the extra two years to roll past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think anyone wanted Ratts to be given the flick in these circumstances, but to be honest, I also dont think anyone, including the board, was happy with the second half of the season and the collapse we carried over from last year for some reason. There was an issue that Ratts and Co said was evident, they knew the fix and it would come. It didn't and we fell into a heap again.

I actually think it takes a fair bit of guts to admit you made the wrong decision to recontract him (and at 8-3 it seemed the issues from the year before were rectified) and make the call as they did when they did. It sucks to do it to a guy like Ratts, but if we want to win another premiership we gotta make hard calls and I'm all for Basset and Lethers rolling their sleeves up, owning up to their mistakes and making hard calls.

Last edited:
Let’s be honest, both Richo and Ratten are ordinary coaches. Who for selfish reasons, chose a negative / effort based style in order to stay in the game / not get blown away by opposition, instead of spend time developing game plan, develop players skills, backing their talent and play a more expansive (attacking) style.

Sacking an underperforming coach is not unreasonable, especially as Lethelan has shared, we had to give Ratts an answer at mid-year.. The year ended badly, some of the football is deplorable (bottom 4 stats in most categories), we look like a rabble most of the time, so what should we do, hope for magic and next year will be different? Never seen so many players miss easy targets, run around like headless chooks.

I know it’s harsh and it looked bad.. but don’t let the truth get in the way of a media narrative..
I completely agree but l believe they were just coaching to their limitations. Richo and Ratts just differed in their approach and selfishness onlu crept in after Cho was extended beyond his used by date.

We need to get on with at and announce him. The longer it drags on the more we get dragged over the coals in the media. The more people they can pull out from under a rug to stick the knife in. SEN will bring Watters out next to talk about our failings as a club. There’s no better person to defend us then Ross, which he will do in his opening presser. Just pull the bandaid off and get on with it.
A Luke Ball interview would be interesting

What is the Lindsay Fox involvement in the Ross appointment?

And how the hell are we not sponsored by Linfox already?
Gave 100mil to the ngv!!! Surely 92mil would have been enough and the rest to saints to clear the debt…do these lads (Jerry Jayco, bassat, Lindsey) not pay our debt because we don’t believe we should pay the afl back be sue of crap stadium deals etc? for them it’s tuppance

Well they promised to look at it by mid season. Many of us kept asking why they couldn’t wait for later. Our W/L was good but the wins were not convincing.

Waiting to sign him later in the season (or not) was the only way they could have handled it better.

As it was we kept losing and they had to wait for a win before they announced it.

What we did wrong was announcing so early - there was no way he could keep his job after the second half of the season.

What we did right for the club’s benefit was have the balls to reverse the decision knowing we’d come under all sorts of criticism.

A shock for Ratts no doubt but he got 6 months pay instead of nothing out of it.

He's not some novice coming in for his first season. He's not having to de-list everyone and start again with 10 kids on the list.

We finished one game out of the finals with a game plan that you say was poor and the players had little belief in - well then - if he is any sort of coach, then getting buy in from players and a little "tweak" here and there must surely get us into the finals.

He took Freo from 11th to 7th in his first season there, why are you expecting less with us?
Problem is ratts and his mates fell asleep at the wheel
Other teams have improved, we couldn’t decide if Hunter Clark would look musclier with or without a headband….Ross’s influence won’t be at its peak until 2025

Last edited:

The way they could have handled it better is to do what many of us said, and wait to extend him.

Considering they did extend him, all I have is admiration that they had the balls to pull the bandaid off.

Only thing I'd change is if they knew there was no way they were keeping him, they shouldn't have asked him to pitch for his job again.

I really don't feel sorry for Ratts. I wish him well but that's about it. He was not the man to take us forward.

Also I personally think the list is better than at least the media thinks also and agree that the gameplan, as King would say (one of the few times I agree with him), was fraudulent. In 2020 we had a gameplan of kicking it forward into space ahead of our high forward which worked at the time but hasn't the last 2 years. Otherwise it was simple and kick high to Max, but it's very reliant on him marking and/or spilling the ball to our smalls which were inconsistant as a result of this gameplan. We need to tighten up our defense to the point someone like Max can take finals games by the scruff of the neck and be that offensive point of difference, not the required weekly norm to win.

While there is truth in what you say, there is also huge truth in that Ratts clearly had lost the playing group football wise and just seemed to have no idea how to progress things.

The head coach position is not like some workforces where the underperformer might be kept out of harms way and given routine tasks.

If St Kilda rolled out a whole season next year like that second half this season we might have become the Tasmanian Saints in 2024.

We as a club simply could not wait for the extra two years to roll past.
I'm not saying he shouldn't have been sacked I'm saying the club should've handled it much better.

I don't think anyone wanted Ratts to be given the flick in these circumstances, but to be honest, I also dont think anyone, including the board, was happy with the second half of the season and the collapse we carried over from last year for some reason. There was an issue that Ratts and Co said was evident, they knew the fix and it would come. It didn't and we fell into a heap again.

I actually think it takes a fair bit of guts to admit you made the wrong decision to recontract him (and at 8-3 it seemed the issues from the year before were rectified) and make the call as they did when they did. It sucks to do it to a guy like Ratts, but if we want to win another premiership we gotta make hard calls and I'm all for Basset and Lethers rolling their sleeves up, owning up to their mistakes and making hard calls.
It's pretty simple for me, there were better ways to deliver his termination and whilst it's all what we wanted it still looks pretty poor if you look at it objectively.

The way they could have handled it better is to do what many of us said, and wait to extend him.

Considering they did extend him, all I have is admiration that they had the balls to pull the bandaid off.

Only thing I'd change is if they knew there was no way they were keeping him, they shouldn't have asked him to pitch for his job again.

I really don't feel sorry for Ratts. I wish him well but that's about it. He was not the man to take us forward.
I get what you're saying and in a perfect world I would've hoped for the same but the way the industry operates tells me that it was never an actual reality. We were never going to wait until, say, the last month of the season before deciding on his contract. Bassat & Lethers explained what had happened during last weeks presser, in that they agreed to give him some certainty at the mid-point of the season. You'd have to trawl through history to find an out of contract coach that was extended as late as some here wanted Ratten to be.

If they had infact been reviewing his position for a month and it wasn't looking good, they should've told him a lot earlier than 4 days from when he was told he was sacked. I am glad we rectified the mistake and are moving forward but it's still pretty unprofessional and I think criticism about it is warranted.

I'm not saying he shouldn't have been sacked I'm saying the club should've handled it much better.

It's pretty simple for me, there were better ways to deliver his termination and whilst it's all what we wanted it still looks pretty poor if you look at it objectively.

I get what you're saying and in a perfect world I would've hoped for the same but the way the industry operates tells me that it was never an actual reality. We were never going to wait until, say, the last month of the season before deciding on his contract. Bassat & Lethers explained what had happened during last weeks presser, in that they agreed to give him some certainty at the mid-point of the season. You'd have to trawl through history to find an out of contract coach that was extended as late as some here wanted Ratten to be.

If they had infact been reviewing his position for a month and it wasn't looking good, they should've told him a lot earlier than 4 days from when he was told he was sacked. I am glad we rectified the mistake and are moving forward but it's still pretty unprofessional and I think criticism about it is warranted.

What would have been a better way to deliver his termination in your opinion George if we all agree that renewing his mid year contract was a mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back